Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#892871 - 04/24/14 01:18 AM NOAA steelhead plan
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim

Greetings Puget Sound Salmon Recovery Council members, Watershed Leads, and interested parties,

As you know, NOAA is embarking on developing a steelhead recovery plan in cooperation with a Steelhead Recovery Team. Please see below for a link to sign up for their steelhead listserv to be sure you receive timely updates on this work. (And apologies for cross-postings.)

Best,
Laura

NOAA Fisheries is convening a Recovery Team to assist the agency in preparing a draft recovery plan (Plan) for Puget Sound steelhead. We intend to have the draft Plan available for public review in 2016 and a final Plan completed in 2017. To receive updates during the planning process, please join our Puget Sound Steelhead Recovery Planning listserv.

Please visit our Puget Sound steelhead webpage to sign up now for the listserv:
http://www.westcoast.fisheries.noaa.gov/...ry_efforts.html

Our webpage also provides useful background on recovery planning progress to date, including:
1) The prior Puget Sound Steelhead Technical Recovery Team's efforts to identify historical populations and develop viability criteria for the species;
2) NOAA Fisheries recovery outline for Puget Sound steelhead;
3) Abstracts and presentations from the Puget Sound Steelhead Recovery Planning Science Workshop, held May 30, 2013; and
4) An introduction and terms of reference for the Recovery Team.

Thank you for your continued interest and support!

Laura Blackmore, Principal
Cascadia Consulting Group
laura@cascadiaconsulting.com
www.cascadiaconsulting.com
Follow us: LinkedIn | Facebook | Twitter

#892904 - 04/24/14 02:16 PM Re: NOAA steelhead plan [Re: ]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Process is our most important product.

Back in the late 80s/early 90s a WDF staffer loudly and apparently publically complained that what he considered inappropriate fisheries had taken excessive numbers of Hood Canal wild coho. The agency response was to the effect that "We established seasons pre-season, everybody fished according to the seasons we agreed to. Management was successful"

Notice no mention of actually putting spawners on the grounds. Successful management was defined as fishing as we planned.

#892906 - 04/24/14 02:26 PM Re: NOAA steelhead plan [Re: ]
pijon Offline
Smolt

Loc: washington
Take a look at some of those regional plans. They are not thrown together. They are big. All encompassing.

I have been reading the snake river plan, it is not finished either. There is one heck of a lot that goes into those plans and with Puget Sound, putting it all into one plan may have been in error. On the snake, one plan is likely correct since all those fish have to traverse 8 dams both ways. And the dams in spite of spill have a major effect on the outmigrating smolts.

I would rather Puget Sound was divided up into smaller plans, say at the watershed level.
But NOAA is doing all these plans on a regional basis. When I sent an email with a question, it took several days to get an answer and sometimes with all the state and federal entities the person answering your email is not office staff. They are directors and excutives as often as the desk clerk.

Its a budget problem everyone shares.

#892917 - 04/24/14 03:23 PM Re: NOAA steelhead plan [Re: ]
pijon Offline
Smolt

Yup, it cost money, the snake river plan is a real tough read. Its just a bunch of really big files. Very little of the pretty pics and stuff. Ignoring all the sources, references, etc helps.
I have a number of hours reading it already and it is maybe the equivalent of a good sleeping pill.

Now the good and fun plans are watershed basin plans. Lots of big letters and pictures and graphs. But in those plans, the money being estimated is staggering. I think the more money you are asking for, the prettier your presentation has to be.

#892919 - 04/24/14 03:28 PM Re: NOAA steelhead plan [Re: pijon]
pijon Offline
Smolt

I got into the snake river plan because I wanted to see what the delisting and stock assessment criteria was. Those two documents are not completed. In fact they are not even there in any form.

If I put on my tinfoil hat, I can assume there is a major political, economic, regional reason for the omission. And its not hard to figure out what that is if you follow the current litigation on the columbia basin.

But the entire plan as of today is full of line outs and corrections, so with no tinfoil, it just is still in work.

#892927 - 04/24/14 04:00 PM Re: NOAA steelhead plan [Re: pijon]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Delisting, as I understand ESA, requires that the reasons for the listing be removed/controlled. If the reasons include the dams, then delisting may just require removal. If, as more than a few have noted here, PS steelhead are listed because of the accumulation of humans and the needs then that has to be removed to delist.

One reason why PS should be considered a single steelhead stock is that, at least according tome WDFW geneticists I have talked to, the gene data show that PS is one big stock and the health of the Snohomish may depend on fish from the Skagit, or Nisqually. The genetic data seems to show that there is a lot of what used to be thought of as "straying".

#892935 - 04/24/14 04:30 PM Re: NOAA steelhead plan [Re: Carcassman]
pijon Offline
Smolt

Removing the dams is one of the issues, but NOAA also counts natural spawners and what part of their natural range those fish are returned to. Thats the hard part with the snake. A big chunk of the range is blocked by a series of dams in the Hells canyon complex. Those are not going anywhere anytime soon.
I did read that same thing about Puget Sound stocks, that since its only been 10 thousand years since the last glacier covered the area, all these fish are genetically related. And the continual straying of all stocks is a factor in the similarity also.
Any more than that and I have to leave it to the biologists on these forums.

The biggest problem with all of these recovery plans is they are not connected with land use planning. I only heard this a couple days ago at a presentation I went to. I don't have a lot of detail yet but I will soon enough. And I am shocked!
It really sounds totally absurd that we spend millions determining growth plans in PS. But we don't even think about how that growth will affect fish and wildlife habitat until it bites us in the rear.

I think comprehensive planning is absolutely necessary and it must take into account population growth and how we will protect what is left of the habitat.
But nope, it ain't happening the way it should.
And that could be the lawsuit from a very warm and inhospitable place. I wrote my congressman and he is clueless. Absolutely no idea what is coming. They only manage one crisis at a time and this one is still on the horizon.

#893186 - 04/26/14 10:31 AM Re: NOAA steelhead plan [Re: pijon]
FishBear Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Western Washington
let's see now...

Listed as threatened under ESA in 2007...

Recovery plan estimated to be completed in 2017...

Yeah that sounds about right for the feds... what a friggin' joke

George W. Bush

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |