Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#89321 - 04/22/00 01:32 PM Wynoochee fisherman
Fishing Junkie Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: G.H. Wa.
Having fished the nooch for the last 33 years the battle between driftboats & sleds & bankies has always been intense. It only takes one stupid boater to make it bad for everyone be it sled or drifter. Banning sleds was tried in the 70's but never flew for it was discriminating.Its sounds like the driftboats are just being selfish and even race each other for first water only to have a sled or a bankie catch fish behind them. Its to bad we all can't be real sportsman and just get along and not try to band one and not the other. Fishing junkie

#89322 - 04/22/00 02:54 PM Re: Wynoochee fisherman
Harbor_Hog Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Grays Harbor
Fishing Junkie,
Hello my name is Andy Matthews and I too am a local to the Wynoochee as well as all of the other rivers in this area. I live in Central Park. I own a 16' sled and a 16' drift boat, and both of them have been on that river during the winter months. I bought my drift boat because I could cover different water than I could in my sled. I have never had my seld above the Cedar Mill hole. I feel that by me running up and down the upper river that I am taking the risk of stiring up the reds. I don't think that there is any reason for the sleds to be up above the Inlet or intake. Above that I think it should be bank or drift boat access only. I may have a different oppinion than others but I am just telling you my concern for the spawning reds in the upper river. I was up at the 7400 bridge the other day and you wouldn't beleive all of the reds! I seen more reds than I have ever seen. Another point is that alot of guides use there sleds on the Nooch, if they want to run a sled they can stay below the intake and boondog the stretch above and below black Creek, I know from experience that fish will hold there and can be picked up! Just my two bits.

Thanks,
Andy Matthews

#89323 - 04/22/00 08:33 PM Re: Wynoochee fisherman
Fishing Junkie Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: G.H. Wa.
Andy
I feel the same that the reds should not be disturbed but my feelings is that the driftboats do more damage dragging there anchors threw the reds than a sled running over the top. Just something to think about.
Fishing Junkie

#89324 - 04/22/00 08:52 PM Re: Wynoochee fisherman
EricW Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Aberdeen,WA
Junkie,

What about the simple fact the nooch is too small a river for the amount of sled traffic it receives? I don't necessarily see this as a drift boat-vs- sled issue but rather one of asthetics and safety. I like fishing out of sleds......on appropriate sized rivers like the chehalis, cowlitz, lewis, columbia, etc...I do know that more and more guides are targeting the river in sleds and it is reaching a point where a peaceful, enjoyable day is damn near impossible.

There may have been a time and a place for sleds here in years past when it was more of a low-key, local effort but times change and living by this river has made it clear to me something has to be done. It's a river worth saving.

#89325 - 04/22/00 09:00 PM Re: Wynoochee fisherman
SUMRRUN Offline
Fry

EricW........
You couldn't have put it any better! Well said!!!!!!!

Fish hard or go home!!!!

#89326 - 04/22/00 09:35 PM Re: Wynoochee fisherman
kore Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Carson, WA
Fishing Junkie:

It is not a "Sled vs. Drifters" issue. I fish out of sleds and enjoying fishing out of sleds in Larger rivers. It is the nooch gets too narrow and too shallow up top to be running a jet. Most guys I know who own a jet don't think someone should run a sled on the upper nooch. Unfortunately, it only takes a few though who go against the norm and common sense, to make a ban necessary.

#89327 - 04/23/00 12:16 AM Re: Wynoochee fisherman
Local Offline
Returning Adult

Having fished the nooch for 20 plus years, I
believe the problem is OVER CROWDING period!
I Have a small 14' sled,I fish salmon
above the cross over bridge. I have never
fished a hole that had bank fishermen in it.
Nor have I raced a drift boat to a hole. I
always knew I could go up or down river to
fish in holes that were vacant. I don't see
a problem with sleds when the salmon are running. Steelhead fishing is a different
story. The river cannot handle the pressure
day after day. I would like to see the river
become catch and release.

#89328 - 04/23/00 12:25 PM Re: Wynoochee fisherman
fishon Offline
Egg

Loc: Aberdeen, Wa. USA
I to have a small sled with a 35 hp motor and fish the Wynoochee quite often. I see most of the problem is with the recent infestation of quides that are working the river with their large sleds, lots of horsepower and one thing on their minds and that's getting fish for their clients! They think they own the river. The way they fish is very successful, but they make it hard for the average guy who likes to work slowly down the river. Maybe a limit on horse power may be the answer?

#89329 - 04/23/00 01:45 PM Re: Wynoochee fisherman
SUMRRUN Offline
Fry

Local....Isn't the Nooch already catch and release? It has been for native steelies for the past 4-5 years. And if I'm not mistaken the only salmon you could keep for the last 2 yrs. are hatchery coho.

It's my opinion(noone has to agree with it)that sleds should be limited to the lower river, Black Creek down.

#89330 - 04/24/00 11:17 AM Re: Wynoochee fisherman
Steelheader boy Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Olympia Wa.
This DOG won't hunt!!! no sleds above black creek plain and simple, you try to say the that drift boats do more damage than sleds.....PLEASE!!!! Don't piss down my back and try to tell me it's raining!

------------------
Tight Lines
FISH ON ------<*)>><
Men are like fish we get into trouble when we open our mouths to much!!

#89331 - 04/24/00 12:35 PM Re: Wynoochee fisherman
Ron Bob Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Carnation, wa
Maybe the state should limit the number of guides. I know that I hear a lot of the same talk on all the rivers and have encountered those few guides that don't have a clue. That way also if a guide is a real ass we can call the state and if there's enough calls he dosen't get his licence the next year.

Don't get me wrong guiding dosen't bother me in the least but the more pressure on getting the clients fish can't be good for anybody.

Anyway my two cents worth and remember thats all it's worth

#89332 - 04/26/00 01:44 AM Re: Wynoochee fisherman
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Retired, owner of drift boat and small jetboat. Have fished all the GH rivers for 30+ yrs., love the Wynoochee cause I live in Central Park and its close. Fish the river when its open from White Bridge up to Carter Ck. and the lower part most of the year. Love the water from Carter Ck. down but no "legal" put in, in that area.. :-(((I think there should be a size limit on motors and more access sites for drift boats....such a zoo from White Bridge to Black Creek on many weekends that not even fishing from a drift boat is enjoyable. No easy answer!!!!!!

------------------

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#89333 - 04/26/00 02:52 AM Re: Wynoochee fisherman
salmontackler Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sunny Salmontackler Acres
You guys think the Nooch has problems? Wait until you see what happens on the Green this
year!!!

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 903 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |