Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#893686 - 05/01/14 11:11 PM Re: I Support it [Re: Salmo g.]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
Todd -
In at least the case of North Puget sound rivers I don't think one can lay the blame of the demise of the early wild steelhead on the Chambers Creek steelhead. An interest read is Enos Bradner"s Northwest Angling published in 1950. In that book there is a chapter where he discusses the steelhead rivers of Washington. As part of that discussion there are description of the best times of to fish various rivers. That information comes from his and other anglers experiences on those rivers as well as the steelhead punch card summaries from the 1940s. Remember wide spread success with the early timed Chambers Creek steelhead was not achieved until the early to mid-1950s.

A couple examples -
Skagit river - "... It is fished very little during December, but January is good, and the period from Washington's birthday until the end of March is the best".

That sounds much like we see today.

The Skykomish -
"Its best months are January and February. Some years there is a late run in March after the season closes."

It looking at the early sport catch records keep in mind that the general winter steelhead for most rivers was December 1 through the end of February. On some of the larger rivers portions of some of them were left open later (in some cases even in to April). It should not be a surprise to anyone that the majority of the recorded steelhead change in the December to February period far out numbered the catches in March and April. Not a function of run timing but when folks could legally fish.

The snow fed rivers of north Puget Sound have an extended run-off period that last well into the summer (in the case of the Skagit until early August). This selects for a late spawning population (young fry emerging from the gravel during the peak of that run-off would have diminished survivals. While the major of those basin have hydrographs drive by snow run off as Salmo g suggest some the lower basin/low elevation tributaries would have had hydrographs that would have been more suited to an earlier timed and earlier spawning population. But those basins were trashed more than a century ago. In most cases with nearby late spawning populations in the main stem and the typical inter play between man stem and tributary spawning the few fish found in those tribs can be expected to be largely populated today by those later spawning fish.

The situation with those north Sound Rivers is very different than those on the Olympic Peninsula where the rivers with declining hydrographs occurring much earlier in the year early returning wild fish were commonly found.

curt

#893691 - 05/02/14 12:41 AM Re: I Support it [Re: Smalma]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Thanks, guys...your posts conform with what I had already believed...thanks for taking the time to write them up.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#893694 - 05/02/14 01:07 AM Re: I Support it [Re: Todd]
Moravec Offline

Loc: Snoqualmie WA/Cordova AK
Todd...

This past season I was shocked at the numbers of Wild Steelhead that anglers in both the Snoqualmie and Skykomish caught during December & January. Could it be that with the rehab work done in the past ten years + a dozen years since a catch & kill fishery that local stocks have reached a tipping point toward recovery? I know these things don't happen overnight. But maybe not... your thoughts?

#893696 - 05/02/14 01:42 AM Re: I Support it [Re: Moravec]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
It can't have hurt, that's for sure. I would love to be able to count on a few of them every December like I recall doing on the Snoqualmie when I was a kid.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#893705 - 05/02/14 10:38 AM Re: I Support it [Re: Todd]
Bent Metal Offline
Carcass

Loc: Sky River(WA) Clearwater(Id)
A buddy caught a couple of chrome winter nates in November and several in December(one pushing 20lb). Good to see some of the early stock around.

#893831 - 05/03/14 03:26 PM Re: I Support it [Re: ]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Catching up on my reading on here, it looks like there are several witnesses that could be called to the stand if needed and paid for their expertise if WDFW and the feds could get their Sh!t together.

The unfortunate situation is that a niche group has done the negotiating with WDFW and in that situation (a settlement forming out of WDFW being sued) has left out the other stakeholders.

How convenient.

How else are the other stakeholders going to be represented, but by litigation themselves?

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Swifty27
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (wolverine), 1173 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645406 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |