LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#89482 - 04/30/00 03:44 PM hot-n-tot......or jet planer?
EricW Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Aberdeen,WA
Been playing around with bait/diver combinations for springers and early winter hatchery steelhead. I feel like I get down to the bottom more efficiently with a jet planer. I have also used hot-n-tots and don't feel like I am right down on the bottom as much as with a jet planer.

I should probably mention that I am concentrating on holes 6-15 feet deep....not the DEEP 25' plus holes. I know the deeper the water, the more a jet planer shines but in that "in between depth" where I would think a hot-n-tot is ample, I feel like the planer gets down better.

Just my opinion. I know alot of you fish hot-n-tots as divers with great effectiveness. It's just a confidence thing with my choice of the planer. Oh yeah, the plug is tuned.

Your thoughts?

#89483 - 04/30/00 04:28 PM Re: hot-n-tot......or jet planer?
fishtale Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kng
I used to fish with hot-n-tots until I used jet planers.I found that jet planers give a truer dive and dont wander back and forth ,and they dont need to be tuned.they will also dive with bigger baits for springers!!!

#89484 - 04/30/00 10:10 PM Re: hot-n-tot......or jet planer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Jet Planers are a better diver mechanically, but not necessarily for productiveness. The Hot N Tot's get plenty deep for the water you're describing. They also give the bait some extra fish enticing action- both steelies and kings. As a matter of fact, I've had many days on the northern rivers (Kenai, Kitimat) in this depth range where I've had better success with the Magnum size Hot N Tot with large egg clusters for big kings. It not only gives a little more action to the bait but also makes more vibration noice attraction in the colored water.- The JP's are better in the real deep water than the Tots, but I prefer to backbounce with lead droppers in over 20' depths. My .02 - Steve

#89485 - 04/30/00 11:29 PM Re: hot-n-tot......or jet planer?
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
EricW, When using sliding jet planers in our snaggy rivers many times your bait will hang up and the jet will continue to work as if nothing has happened. Then line (bait) is up river and jet is down river. It is just not as fun watching a rod tip that doesn't wiggle. You will have better luck w/magnum Hot-N-Tots. When they hang up you know it almost right away. They will also get down in the 18' range if you have enough current. Also the hot-n-tots will handle a pretty good load of bait. I have another plug that works great on the big baits. That needs a email. Stick w/the wigglin' type diver. I need to buy a bunch of magnums if ya know where to get them. fp

#89486 - 05/01/00 01:31 AM Re: hot-n-tot......or jet planer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

FP- Don't need E-mail. We all know about those big square billed Mud-Bug plug divers w/ rattles. Don't we?

#89487 - 05/01/00 02:37 AM Re: hot-n-tot......or jet planer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

fp
Forks thifty mart still had a wall full a couple weeks ago. Heard they aren't making them anymore so I bought some extras.

------------------
Marty
www.steelheader.net
marty@steelheader.net

#89488 - 05/01/00 10:01 AM Re: hot-n-tot......or jet planer?
EricW Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Aberdeen,WA
Points well taken. Thanks for the thoughts guys!

#89489 - 05/01/00 12:11 PM Re: hot-n-tot......or jet planer?
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

Loc: The Coast or the Keys !!!
I have had mixed results with the hot-n-tots but had excellent results with mag wiggle warts, the older larger stupid looking hot shots, I think they are the 25's and then the afore mentioned mud bugs which are real popular on the oregon rivers. As far as looking where to purchase them at, try my site at http://www.forestbay.com I think we can take care of you there, if not the products are be added daily. Thanks Superfly

360-888-7772

Stay Tuned for upcoming Hunts & Fishing info...........

New website & Channel Dropping soon !

Stay tuned for Turkey, Bear & Deer Hunts Along with Guided Sport Fishing.

Book Release Prior to Christmas 2021

#89490 - 05/01/00 01:20 PM Re: hot-n-tot......or jet planer?
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Who makes the mud bug? and does anyone in the puget sound/washington coast area carry them?

#89491 - 05/01/00 05:54 PM Re: hot-n-tot......or jet planer?
Hohwaiian Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, Washington, US
Eric, mud bugs are made by a company called Fred Arbrogast -- the same guys that make the infamous hula popper. I've never seen them in WA, but they'll probably be on Bass Pro Shop's online catalog.

[This message has been edited by Hohwaiian (edited 05-01-2000).]

#89492 - 05/01/00 11:29 PM Re: hot-n-tot......or jet planer?
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Eric for the mud bugs give Fishermans Marine supply a call They're in Portland Oregon. But as far as best results I think your're all looking to far water temperature, then clarity is going to be your main factor in the choice between hot'n tot and jet diver. I have personally had the an even amount of luck. The clear jet diver in summer. But the eratic action of the hot'n'tot I believe doesn't hurt on fish that aren't spooked. If they're spooked then Jet diver with a minimum of 5-6 feet of leader.

------------------

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (stonefish, Carcassman), 1060 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645301 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |