THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#896575 - 06/03/14 08:35 PM Burlington-Northern Sky Valley Trespassing?
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I just heard that Burlington Northern Railroad gave out hundreds of tickets Sunday and yesterday on the Sky Valley...and that they are ticketing anyone who crosses the BNRR tracks anywhere to fish.

This would include, of course, the entire Wallace Flats area, the highway side at Reiter, numerous spots along the Wallace, and many spots all along the Skykomish River between Monroe and Gold Bar.

Anyone hear anything about that?

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#896576 - 06/03/14 08:40 PM Re: Burlington-Northern Sky Valley Trespassing? [Re: Todd]
larryb Offline
The Rainman

Loc: elma washington
would they not have to catch you on their right of way to ticket?

they are probably mad over the fight over crude oil trains

Edited by larryb (06/03/14 08:41 PM)

#896578 - 06/03/14 08:42 PM Re: Burlington-Northern Sky Valley Trespassing? [Re: larryb]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

I would think so, Larry, but the story is that they were giving them out, anyway.

This is second hand news to me, wondering if anyone has any firsthand knowledge about it!

Fish on...

Todd

#896581 - 06/03/14 10:07 PM Re: Burlington-Northern Sky Valley Trespassing? [Re: Todd]
eugene1 Offline
Spawner

Loc: out there...
Doesn't seem like a private railway company can issue tickets to me?

Maybe police were brought in though?

#896584 - 06/03/14 10:45 PM Re: Burlington-Northern Sky Valley Trespassing? [Re: eugene1]
Fish-Culture Offline
Returning Adult

BNSF has their own enforcement officers...and they typically mean business. Its a big fine if the little badge is in a bad mood or you piss them off, essentially trespass is all they enforce but they have huge districts, or areas for which they are responsible. I know for a fact a bunch of tickets were given at Wallace crossing, and a dude was hauled away in handcuffs as well. Sheriffs present helping write and enforce. Same thing happened at Soos Creek last salmon season, and happened last hunting season at Patterson on the Columbia. Typically a short term emphasis for a few days or a week then they move on...lets hope thats the case as a lot of bank access on the sky takes a railroad hop. If you see the black and whites dont cross in front of them and it might be a good idea to cross away from the easy access and walk back to your rig...and of course deny deny deny, no ossifer I didnt cross the tracks i was beating my meat in the bushes instead.

#896596 - 06/04/14 12:46 AM Re: Burlington-Northern Sky Valley Trespassing? [Re: Fish-Culture]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

I've got a few reports of the same things you saw, F-C...hopefully when the crowds die down the enforcement presence will, too.

My bunch of buddies and I fished a piece of private property where we have permission to cross and fish, and quite a few people do, too...but the owner came down to have a little talk with everyone on Sunday afternoon because there were far more people there than he had ever given permission to.

He was cool, no one got kicked out, but he asked nicely that folks get ahold of him and ask permission...they'll get it, he just wants license plates and names so he knows who to go after when the place gets trashed, or who to kick out if someone shows up without permission.

The crowds on Sunday were enormous...never seen that many people and boats on that river, ever.

Fish on...

Todd

#896597 - 06/04/14 01:17 AM Re: Burlington-Northern Sky Valley Trespassing? [Re: Todd]
Fish-Culture Offline
Returning Adult

I had not fished an opener there in many years. We started on another river and ended up on the sky mid-morning. Everyone said it was crazy in the morning, but to me it seemed like a normal crowd, I still remember the shotgun start of the old openers at Reiter. I think the "split opener" probably contributes to everyone being on the only two rivers that opened on sunday. Its kind of like getting two openers in one I suppose, I think I like it and it was definitely busy, but everyone we ran into was smiling and having a good time (except for those who got paper from BNSF)...most watches seemed to be set on 420, lol. I dont think it was humanly possible to pack another trailer into the Sultan launch, for sure.

Am I the only one that finds it ironic that you cant get a Sheriffs Deputy to respond to vehicle break ins in Sky Valley but they are "assisting" BNSF with trespass violations? It seems like another money grab at an accessible, concentrated group of folks to me.

#896609 - 06/04/14 08:49 AM Re: Burlington-Northern Sky Valley Trespassing? [Re: Fish-Culture]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
Originally Posted By: Fish-Culture

Am I the only one that finds it ironic that you cant get a Sheriffs Deputy to respond to vehicle break ins in Sky Valley but they are "assisting" BNSF with trespass violations? It seems like another money grab at an accessible, concentrated group of folks to me.

Welcome to the USA. Up here in Bham the RR will somehow hire cops to do their bidding on a semi regular basis. It is crazy to me. A real cop on the tracks far from anything even remotely important, writing tickets to people walking to the beach to relax.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#896610 - 06/04/14 09:15 AM Re: Burlington-Northern Sky Valley Trespassing? [Re: Jason Beezuz]
Steeldrifter Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Pierce county
The railroad companies and our "tree growing companies" are not making any friends with us sportsmen with all the "pay to play" policies and now ticketing for crossing tracks. We are loosing access to our rivers quicker than we are loosing our fish. Damn shame.......

#896628 - 06/04/14 12:57 PM Re: Burlington-Northern Sky Valley Trespassing? [Re: Todd]
Ikissmykiss Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Snohomish County
Originally Posted By: Todd
My bunch of buddies and I fished a piece of private property where we have permission to cross and fish, and quite a few people do, too...but the owner came down to have a little talk with everyone on Sunday afternoon because there were far more people there than he had ever given permission to.

I went back yesterday and there were no other vehicles, no signs, and no issues thankfully.

Had not heard of any BNR issues, but I don't doubt it. I've been "talked to" a number of times by BNR enforcement, but never cited.

Ike

#896659 - 06/04/14 03:31 PM Re: Burlington-Northern Sky Valley Trespassing? [Re: Ikissmykiss]
cjjohnston14 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Silverdale, WA
I was thinking about going out there this weekend, but if there is a chance to get a ticket that I can't afford maybe I'll steer clear of that area. I wanted to try the Reiter spot now that crowds should have died down a bit. That private property shouldn't have that problem though, and I would definatly call ahead to ensure I don't get kicked out.

CJ

#896670 - 06/04/14 04:17 PM Re: Burlington-Northern Sky Valley Trespassing? [Re: cjjohnston14]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
They have been doing this down @ wind river the past few years so it wouldn't shock me if they are writing tickets along sky valley.Good luck,

SZ

#896715 - 06/05/14 08:19 AM Re: Burlington-Northern Sky Valley Trespassing? [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Lots of tweaker types camped between the tracks and the river.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#896804 - 06/05/14 06:41 PM Re: Burlington-Northern Sky Valley Trespassing? [Re: cjjohnston14]
Cozmo Offline
Smolt

Loc: Ballard, Wa
Originally Posted By: cjjohnston14
I was thinking about going out there this weekend, but if there is a chance to get a ticket that I can't afford maybe I'll steer clear of that area. I wanted to try the Reiter spot now that crowds should have died down a bit. That private property shouldn't have that problem though, and I would definatly call ahead to ensure I don't get kicked out.

I guarantee you the crowds will be the same if not more this weekend.

#896846 - 06/06/14 12:15 AM Re: Burlington-Northern Sky Valley Trespassing? [Re: Cozmo]
cjjohnston14 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Silverdale, WA
Originally Posted By: Cozmo
Originally Posted By: cjjohnston14

I guarantee you the crowds will be the same if not more this weekend.

Good to know.. I probably won't make it out there this weekend though. . Too bad.. but next chance I get I'll be there!

CJ

#896867 - 06/06/14 01:29 AM Re: Burlington-Northern Sky Valley Trespassing? [Re: cjjohnston14]
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
I did the Sky once about ten years ago and that was it. Crossed the RR bridge. My FIL got a nice Chinook. I can get to the Sol Duc faster than getting to Sky valley. So did anybody get any summeruns? I can't wait for vacation to go fill up my Oregon tag. Need some rain though.

#896992 - 06/07/14 08:05 PM Re: Burlington-Northern Sky Valley Trespassing? [Re: Steelheadman]
No More Ice Fishin Offline
Returning Adult

Yep, saw all the cars at said location on Sunday and decided there probably wasn't enough elbow room to spoon fish...hit a couple marginal spots with a more room (barely) instead.

How has everyone been doing?

I got out a couple days ago after work and picked up one summer run on a spoon. Pretty slow.

#897081 - 06/09/14 04:48 PM Re: Burlington-Northern Sky Valley Trespassing? [Re: No More Ice Fishin]
MPM Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA
I got two hens on a copper spoon (and no trespassing ticket) on the opener, but haven't been back since. Was supposed to go today, but I sliced up my thumb pretty bad in the kitchen over the weekend, so I'll have to give it a few more days before trying my luck again.

#897607 - 06/15/14 09:25 AM Re: Burlington-Northern Sky Valley Trespassing? [Re: MPM]
skiptowns Offline
Egg

I've been trying unsuccessfully to confirm these rumors. I've spoken with the Monroe Police Department as well as both King County and Snohomish County sheriffs departments. As of last week, they had no knowledge of any tickets being issued. I have unanswered calls and emails in to Gus Melonas, the Director of Public Affairs for the Pacific NW . His number is 206-625-6220 and email can be sent at http://www.bnsf.com/communities/contact-us/ if you'd like to put some pressure on him to respond.

If the rumors are true, maybe we could rally the troops and try for a mutually satisfactory resolution. My recollection of history is that "We, the people" gave this land to the railroads; a bargain that's served them pretty well.

#897611 - 06/15/14 11:01 AM Re: Burlington-Northern Sky Valley Trespassing? [Re: skiptowns]
redlodge Offline
Fry

Loc: Kirkland
Went up to check this situation out last week and found a new sign at the crossing where people walk down to the mouth of the Wallace. Did not see any enforcement on site. Another fisherman who talked to the owner
of the market in startup said they were enforceing that as well as no
parking on the corner parking area by towing your rig. I do not think other areas are a problem. I think that the corner house was sold last year and with the new owners the complaints started. Lots of guys fish there and instead of walking down to the mouth of the Wallace along the
river they walk the tracks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 948 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |