THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#897523 - 06/13/14 10:58 PM Re: Wynoochee River...What's going on???? [Re: Dan S.]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
See, how hard was that?

I stand corrected and admit I was wrong.

#897533 - 06/14/14 12:24 AM Re: Wynoochee River...What's going on???? [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
Ken I Offline
Parr

Loc: soaking-wet Grays Harbor
WDFW's website will take you to the plants reports. I believe they post several years worth. If you are down our way, stop into the Hatchery sometime, we are open 7 days a week, 8 to 4:30, we like to show people what, why and how we operate. Hope to see you.

#897534 - 06/14/14 12:25 AM Re: Wynoochee River...What's going on???? [Re: Ken I]
Ken I Offline
Parr

Loc: soaking-wet Grays Harbor
Still hope you stop by, if not, see you on the river.

#897546 - 06/14/14 12:01 PM Re: Wynoochee River...What's going on???? [Re: Ken I]
DrifterWA Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Wynoochee, 6/14/2014........4 good fishermen, same water as past 7 days.....not far above tide water......zero, 0, fish again this morning....no take downs.....just lot's of casting practice.

6 boats went by,......... when I left river.....stopped at a place, close to the river...talked with people in the first 2 boats....NO FISH for them either of those boats.....

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#897550 - 06/14/14 12:38 PM Re: Wynoochee River...What's going on???? [Re: Ken I]
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
Why do you quit fishing so early Drifter? I catch fish throughout the day. It seems like early summerun fishing is slow in the NW but fish are on the way. Could use one more shot of rain. One more week and I'm back to the river until July for intense fishing.

#897559 - 06/14/14 02:29 PM Re: Wynoochee River...What's going on???? [Re: DrifterWA]
fishnbear Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: A coastal river with fish
I was told the other day, that there was a bacteria, that got in the ponds at the lake, and killed off most of the plant, so that may be why not alot of fish around. I was also told that earlier in the year too. I thought that was someone saying that to discourage people not to go... so who knows...

#897599 - 06/14/14 11:13 PM Re: Wynoochee River...What's going on???? [Re: fishnbear]
River Nutrients

Steelheadman:

I live 7 miles from where I fish......over the years it has been my experience, on this river, early gets the fish. Boat traffic has increased, and while not so far this year.....swimmers are not a positive influence to biting fish.

Because the Wynoochee has gone from a summer run river, that not many people fished, in the 80's..........to a river, that is heavily fish from the 7400 Line to tide water....my choice of time to be fishing is "early" and let others enjoy the other hours in the day.

#897604 - 06/15/14 03:47 AM Re: Wynoochee River...What's going on???? [Re: DrifterWA]
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
Just trying to give ideas. I thought I heard a couple of years ago on Wild Country they were discontinuing summerun plants on the Nooch.

#897605 - 06/15/14 07:04 AM Re: Wynoochee River...What's going on???? [Re: Steelheadman]
River Nutrients

Ken 1 can speak to that, he works at Lake Aberdeen hatchery.

What I know is major expenses are to be done in the "very near future". One of the expenses will be to re-build the pipe line so that the hatchery will have the ability to use 100% Wynoochee River water. The benefit will be not have to use the "heated lake water" during the summer months. The pipeline project should be starting SOON......

#897608 - 06/15/14 10:04 AM Re: Wynoochee River...What's going on???? [Re: DrifterWA]
River Nutrients

Sunday, June 15, 2014 .....

Only 2 of us this morning...............NO FISH, again..

2 boats put in......only 1 person in each boat

Only heard 1 drift boat being pulled up higher in the river...

Oh, well another work week coming.....maybe today??????

Edited by DrifterWA (06/15/14 10:09 AM)

#897625 - 06/15/14 02:31 PM Re: Wynoochee River...What's going on???? [Re: DrifterWA]
bankbum Offline
Spawner

Summer Fish are there but extremely spread out In Tiny pods of 3 to 4 fish. And they are very spooky seemingly more than usual. Also I haven't seen more than a few summer fish per mile of river. It's pretty easy to spot fish from a boat of they're there.
Lots of down river fish not willing to bite as well.

#897648 - 06/15/14 10:01 PM Re: Wynoochee River...What's going on???? [Re: bankbum]
eswan Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I have heard the same thing from boaters as bankbum described despite opening day of my neighbor limiting out in one hole on divers. Few fish to be caught. Iv got a couple days off first week in July and am hoping there will be a fair amount of fish in the river for us.

#897741 - 06/16/14 07:13 PM Re: Wynoochee River...What's going on???? [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Low water yr = slow spread out season unless we get a good shot of rain to bump rivers. If plants would be up around 142,000+ like in 09, it would be lights out like it was in 2011. IMO plant big numbers get big returns!

#897746 - 06/16/14 07:45 PM Re: Wynoochee River...What's going on???? [Re: RUNnGUN]
River Nutrients

Monday June 16, 2014

2 fishermen.......I got late start, different approach.....still no fish. No rollers, to take downs, didn't see any fish off the lower bridges or up river.

2 boats trying the lower end, no idea how they did. Did stop at friends house, on the river, no fish there......just not many fish in lower part of the river.

Minus tides.....big run outs.....maybe part of the problem??????

#897778 - 06/16/14 10:41 PM Re: Wynoochee River...What's going on???? [Re: DrifterWA]
Big Hunt Offline
Fry

Loc: Bremerton, WA
maybe they all decided to go up the satsop instead who knows, weird nothing going on in the lower river

#897845 - 06/17/14 12:30 PM Re: Wynoochee River...What's going on???? [Re: Big Hunt]
River Nutrients

Tuesday June 17, 2014

5 fishermen......NO FISH, again

4 boats, today......didn't recognize any of the boats......The guides that were working lower part of the river, have stopped.

Property owner that spends lots of time watching for fish...."just not seeing steelhead", lot's of schools of suckers.

#897848 - 06/17/14 12:41 PM Re: Wynoochee River...What's going on???? [Re: DrifterWA]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Seems to be the norm along the coast this season. Opener on the Bogachiel was a bust as well. Maybe it's the unseasonably low water, but there isn't a lot going on so far. Not much rain in the forecast.... Wondering why the snowpack isn't melting....

Oh, well. Even if the fishing sucks, the solitude and great weather are sure refreshing after last winter.

#897897 - 06/17/14 06:56 PM Re: Wynoochee River...What's going on???? [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
gooybob Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
It's still early enough to not panic. But don't hold your breath!

#897922 - 06/17/14 09:02 PM Re: Wynoochee River...What's going on???? [Re: gooybob]
TedR Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: South Sound
DrifterWA, do you keep a fishing journal? How does this year compare to others? It seems kinda early to be as alarmed as you appear. Sometimes no early fish means bad season, sometimes it means the fish are late, sometimes it ends up being a banner year with a slow start. Seems like it is too early to know.

I fished it once last year and we caught two fish late in the morning drifting eggs through a quick seam. Go figure.

#897941 - 06/17/14 11:33 PM Re: Wynoochee River...What's going on???? [Re: TedR]
River Nutrients

TedR:

Memory is very good.......there are a few of us that have the luxury of fishing every day. I've been retired since 1997 and others about same time......my wife died 3+ years ago......I like to fish, past 3 years I've fished every morning.....open of river season to around September 16, when I stop summer run and start chasing salmon.

The "group" has concerns, not only the Wynoochee but also Humptulips...just not many summer runs showing on these systems.

I don't not keep a journal but another part of the group does.....we just have a hard time believing that more fish, middle of June, aren't showing in lower part of the river.......

In 30+ plus years, of Wynoochee river fishing, I've never gone close to this long with out fish.....and then to fish around others with the same result....I'm not liking it.

Hope I'm wrong......maybe they are just late?????? I'll still fish, every morning....I'll know if the run is coming!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (DrifterWA, Tug 3), 112 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |