THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#896896 - 06/06/14 12:07 PM Re: Wild Fish Conservancy's current fight [Re: steeliedrew]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Steeliedrew,

A wild broodstock program would result in an increased harvest rate on the remaining wild steelhead population. Smalma is absolutely right in that the existing (or was existing until a few weeks ago) Chambers Ck hatchery stock program had far lower adverse impact on the wild population than a wild broodstock hatchery program would have. The risk, IMO, is that policy managers might "declare" that wild broodstock hatchery fish and wild steelhead are genetically the same, and that therefore the mixing of hatchery and wild steelhead on the spawning grounds is OK. That is the policy position some tribes have adopted, but from a biological perspective, it just ain't so. Biology and ecology don't care about and don't accept policy declarations. IMO if WDFW and NMFS adopt that position, then functional extinction does become the most likely outcome.

As far why not turn the Cowlitz back into the hatchery blood hole it was for 3 decades, it's because so far there is no legal avenue for exempting it from ESA constraints and turning it, or any other river, into a sacrificial hatchery circus. Like it or not, feasible or not, the agencies are locked into trying to recover wild chinook, chum, and steelhead on the Cowlitz River.

Sg

#896898 - 06/06/14 12:19 PM Re: Wild Fish Conservancy's current fight [Re: Salmo g.]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Loc: Snohomish
Recovering wild runs on the Cowlitz is a pipe dream Salmo. I think we all know that. I wish certain agencies could accept that and let it be what it should be. I see your point about the brood stock programs causing a higher wild fish mortality rate but why is it that they are going to be researching such a program on the skagit in the coming years?

Side note...Does anyone know if the WFC will attack the skamania steelhead stock and hatchery coho and chinook? In my slightly uneducated opinion I'd say it's not a matter of if, but "when".

"Dude...where's your boat!?" Team runaway drift boat prostaff.

Big Stick 2012: "EVERY thought of my being, is in regards to being a Hi-Tech Predator and I relish the role."

#896907 - 06/06/14 02:05 PM Re: Wild Fish Conservancy's current fight [Re: steeliedrew]
REV. JER Offline
Parr

If they get theyre way up north then I think its a safe bet that the skamania genes will follow.

#896913 - 06/06/14 03:21 PM Re: Wild Fish Conservancy's current fight [Re: ]
Backtrollin Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Duvall, WA
Salmo G,
Is there such a thing as a wild summer run left or have the skamania integrated themselves so deep that there are no true wild summer run left?

Drew
Kings are the money fish....most likely the commercial interests will put up much more of a fight than they did with the Steelhead.

#896914 - 06/06/14 03:45 PM Re: Wild Fish Conservancy's current fight [Re: Moravec]
JJ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: redmond, WA
Originally Posted By: Moravec
Originally Posted By: Double Haul
Todd, the mission has not changed perhaps it would better to have a off line conversation.

Why? Man up and say what you want to say to everyone. Don't back down one bit when not-everyone agrees with you.

Maybe when there is physical violence threatened like has happened in this thread it shuts down discussion. Or maybe it is that all that happens is people get shouted down. That would be like me saying that everyone that wants to keep hatcheries could care less about wild fish. Though it does seem the more I read conservation thread the more people are saying screw the wild fish and pump hatchery fish in every where.

JJ

#896927 - 06/06/14 05:02 PM Re: Wild Fish Conservancy's current fight [Re: JJ]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
JJ, Drew wasn't serious.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#896938 - 06/06/14 05:59 PM Re: Wild Fish Conservancy's current fight [Re: Dogfish]
JJ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: redmond, WA
I don't know he seems to want to kick me. Which is fine if you want to stop conversations. Blanket statements like that end conversation and don't really lend themselves to debate. I have a thick skin and can disagree with people but I have personally talked with people from this board that don't post in support of limiting, changing, closing, etc. hatcheries because of things like this. I haven't been one of them but I have no desire to say hey wouldn't it make financial sense to make sure that the ESA study was done before the money was spent on the hatchery to make sure that it passed the test and would be usable not after when it could be wasted. I don't know that doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Seems to make financial sense and but don't let sense get in the way of kicking someone or stringing them up.

JJ

#896939 - 06/06/14 06:03 PM Re: Wild Fish Conservancy's current fight [Re: Dogfish]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Steeliedrew,

Thread drifting somewhat, but recovering wild salmon and steelhead on the Cowlitz isn't a pipe dream. Fundamentally it's a matter of having an effective downstream fishway, and that is currently on the drawing board. Even with the ineffective system present now, wild coho in significant numbers (1,000s) from upstream of the dams have become a regular occurrence on the Cowlitz. A few hundred wild steelhead and now even some wild fall chinook from Tilton/Mayfield are taking hold. With good juvenile fish passage, recovering viable wild runs on the upper Cowlitz will be a reality in the foreseeable future. Of course, just like in PS, there won't be many harvestable wild steelhead, because that just isn't in the cards for that species.

Furthermore, the barrier dam on the Cowlitz greatly facilitates the separation of wild and hatchery fish, so the numbers of hatchery fish allowed to spawn naturally in the upper basin can be strictly controlled.

Why are WDFW and WFC going to be researching a Skagit wild steelhead broodstock program in the coming years? Excellent question. I'd say it's because it was a negotiated term of settlement. The Skagit tribes are wondering why WDFW made WFC a third "co-manager." I think they are more than slightly pissed about that. Anyway, agreeing to research a topic can be a long ways off from coming up with a viable program. Maybe it was a throw away measure used to get agreement, maybe both parties are serious. I don't know.

I also don't know what WFC's plans are regarding going after Skamania steelhead. Doing so actually makes more biological sense than going after the Chambers Ck stock on the grounds they alleged. Skamania hatchery spawning time overlaps with wild winter steelhead far more than does Chambers Ck, so there is a substantially higher likelihood of H x W crosses and genetic introgression there, but I'm not so sure that biological integrity is the primary parameter for lawsuit selection. Since WFC (as WT) went after PS hatchery chinook before, I think it's highly likely that they will again. And that's a big deal. It would affect folks known as the movers and shakers and influential members of society and government.

Backtrollin,

I think there is a mix of endemic native wild summer runs that are free of significant or measurable Skamania introgression and some that are mixed. We don't have much summer run genetic data, so I'm speculating based on what the existing information has shown and the spatial spread of native populations and Skamania stocking.

Sg

#896940 - 06/06/14 06:07 PM Re: Wild Fish Conservancy's current fight [Re: Moravec]
Peterman Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: West Seattle
FYI - If you're interested in organizations supporting sportfishing rights I'd suggest the Steelhead Trout Club of Washington (STCW). It's been around since 1928, and in it's heyday had a significant voice in Olympia (but they still got some teeth!). I joined a few years ago and overall, I'm really impressed with the members and what the club stands for.

The last meeting before summer break is coming up on Tuesday, June 10, at 6 PM at the Orient Express Restaurant on 4th Ave S, Seattle. PM me if you want to know more.

#896957 - 06/06/14 11:06 PM Re: Wild Fish Conservancy's current fight [Re: Peterman]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Loc: Snohomish
Salmo,

Thank you for your knowledgeable response.

JJ,

I am not going to kick anybody in the d!ck or string anyone up. I was heated the other night when I opened this thread and most likely shouldn't have said that. Am I happy about the state of our steelhead fisheries? Nope. It's extremely saddening.

Sorry for coming off so harsh. I'm actually pretty nice. smile

Edited by steeliedrew (06/06/14 11:21 PM)

"Dude...where's your boat!?" Team runaway drift boat prostaff.

Big Stick 2012: "EVERY thought of my being, is in regards to being a Hi-Tech Predator and I relish the role."

#896973 - 06/07/14 01:19 PM Re: Wild Fish Conservancy's current fight [Re: steeliedrew]
BigRedHead Offline
Smolt

Loc: WA, King
Steeliedrew , there are some other Puget sound wild brood stock programs out there , the one on the white, and green but they are both small programs , but the foundation is there.

#897376 - 06/13/14 01:26 AM Re: Wild Fish Conservancy's current fight [Re: wsu]
ripple Offline
Smolt

Loc: Auburn, WA
People need to see the film "Wild Reverence". Listen to what they are saying and what the data show...then think carefully about what you think is realistic in the future for Puget Sound (and other) rivers. Perhaps we save the wild runs that can be saved and operate hatcheries in the rivers that have designated harvestable runs, like the Cowlitz. The opportunities for harvest are not going to be the same and it's going to be a hard pill to swallow. It's surely not going to happen overnight either...it's going to take some time. I foresee some difficult negotiations with the Tribes too. This may get worse before it gets better.

P.S. the film is not sponsored by the WFC

Edited by ripple (06/13/14 01:28 AM)

#897387 - 06/13/14 10:15 AM Re: Wild Fish Conservancy's current fight [Re: ripple]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

But the show has been shown by WSC which is partners with WFC. eek2

It sounds like there is a guarantee that goes with the experiment of wild fish galore if no hatchery fish produced.

What is the plan after decades stacked on decades shows little to no results?

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#897619 - 06/15/14 12:49 PM Re: Wild Fish Conservancy's current fight [Re: ]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: Redd_Daetona
I'd run up to the Raging river launch to see if anyone hit any fish, then up to Plums for a boat launch visit and chat. I'd see bank fisher folk, fly floggers swinging fur & feather above the golf course, and a sled or two side drifting along the fall city rip-rap.

Wow, what a difference these daze! No drift boats, no toons, no spey rods and steeple casters along the banks, no boon-dogging, no drift boats rowing back to the top of Plums for another go, nothing, nada, zipp-zero tiny amount!!!

What I did see was the KC Property Use notice to the public about the hatchery property upgrades, ( now halted/pending ), and an aging hatchery operation that really needed fixes & upgrades so it could help provide current and future fishing opportunity to the PS metro steelhead fisherfolk on a river that really should be on the list of PS basin "Hatchery Supported" rivers IMNSHO

Take a drive up that way if you have ever fished that creek for summer runs, or winters for that matter, and have a look at what the river looks like today. Just another nail in the dead PS river coffin, hammered down nicely by the conservant coalition of wild steelhead sports fisher folk.

Redd_D,

Your words paint a picture.

That is a sad picture indeed for the majority of 700,000+ fish license holders in WA state.

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#897665 - 06/16/14 12:59 AM Re: Wild Fish Conservancy's current fight [Re: Lucky Louie]
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wherever I can swing for wild ...
Originally Posted By: Lucky Louie
But the show has been shown by WSC which is partners with WFC. eek2

stir

Edited by Double Haul (06/16/14 01:18 AM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
280ackimp, DAVEANNICK, nicksdad, redgussydog, reitersteelhead123, wallacewhaler123, zswoods
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1006 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645354 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |