Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#900759 - 07/19/14 02:49 PM THE RIVER GODS PITY STEELHEAD
CAPT.BOB'S FISHING Offline
Alevin

Loc: Union, WA.
Offshore netting, natural predation, inshore netting, pollution, clear-cutting, disease, sportfishing, flooding, landslides, mismanagement, drought, infighting, poor science, ignorance, apathy, stream degredation--it's all too much for a Steelhead to survive. It's a miracle there are any left. And, unless a miracle occurs, there will be fewer as time passes until the noble Steelhead is just a fond memory. Even if I had a magic wand, I couldn't think of a solution that would change the fate of Steelhead in western Washington. In seven decades of life I've seen too many wild things go away and rarely do they come back in a lifetime. It's just plain sad! However, I would welcome any feedback from my fellow-Steelhead disciples.
(www.captainbobsfishingtackle.com)

#900770 - 07/19/14 09:45 PM Re: THE RIVER GODS PITY STEELHEAD [Re: CAPT.BOB'S FISHING]
ronnie Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lacey
Yes, it is a miracle that any are left. And with all of those reasons why there aren't many left, what makes you think they have a chance of returning? Would there not have to be a change in all of those detriments? Is that going to happen? I started back in the late 50's for steelhead and I can't remember when I had to start looking for that extra fin, but I think it was already too late. We can all get that warm and fuzzy feeling about a day when wild fish rule, but with all of those reasons why they don't. FAI.

I'm pushing the "submit" button reluctantly. But....

#900778 - 07/19/14 10:57 PM Re: THE RIVER GODS PITY STEELHEAD [Re: ronnie]
ronnie Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lacey

It is a lot like Jurassic Park except mosquitoes don't bite wild fish.
As in "Frozen", "Let It Go"

#900782 - 07/19/14 11:21 PM Re: THE RIVER GODS PITY STEELHEAD [Re: CAPT.BOB'S FISHING]
Ikissmykiss Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Snohomish County
Originally Posted By: CAPT.BOB'S FISHING
Even if I had a magic wand, I couldn't think of a solution that would change the fate of Steelhead in western Washington.

Well thanks for the news flash there Captain Pessimistic! You give us all great hope! frown

Ike

#900793 - 07/20/14 02:27 AM Re: THE RIVER GODS PITY STEELHEAD [Re: Ikissmykiss]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
They will survive but our love is lost love. I keep trying to figure out if I've been lucky to see the end or if it is cruelty to force the watching of an oxygen-deprived flame sputter to darkness.

#900802 - 07/20/14 10:56 AM Re: THE RIVER GODS PITY STEELHEAD [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Loc: Snohomish
what a buzz kill.

"Dude...where's your boat!?" Team runaway drift boat prostaff.

Big Stick 2012: "EVERY thought of my being, is in regards to being a Hi-Tech Predator and I relish the role."

#900814 - 07/20/14 01:38 PM Re: THE RIVER GODS PITY STEELHEAD [Re: steeliedrew]
Bent Metal Offline
Carcass

Loc: Sky River(WA) Clearwater(Id)
With all the reasons listed above on why steelhead are suffering, there is no way to quantify each effect on the steelhead population. We are doing a great job of removing tangible effects on the steelhead like implementing CNR since the mid 90's, and now removing all hatchery fish. Its the accumulative effects of 70+ years of development, pollution, netting, predation, etc that we cannot account for and rectify overnite.

CNR and removing hatchery fish aren't going to bring the fish back overnite and everybody knows that. When somebody figures out whats going on in the ocean and we gain back all the spawning grounds/tribs will things improve.

I'd like to think there are ways to have sustainable fisheries for hatchery fish and continue to protect natives, but that is just a pipe dream...

enjoy it while it lasts!

#901452 - 07/27/14 01:05 AM Re: THE RIVER GODS PITY STEELHEAD [Re: ]
CAPT.BOB'S FISHING Offline
Alevin

Loc: Union, WA.
Thank you, Alevin---I think that no one can save the noble Steelhead but us anglers who worship them. Not the bureaucrats, not the WDFW, nor the politicians or biologists or fish managers. Remember---no one can protect your loved-ones like you can! Not the hired help who you think will protect you. So wake up! Stop infighting and focus on possible real solutions. Use your common sense. We know what it takes to help Steelhead to survive. We know what it means to have clean water, sanctuary and limits. We must courteously educate our fellow-Steelhead anglers to do the right things. No more litter, no more discarded mono, no more killing Natives or Wilds. Once the Steelhead populations rebound (if ever), we can re=evaluate the rules. In the meantime, Steelhead Brothers, please do what's right!
(www.captainbobsfishingtackle.com)

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Born2Boat, Dirk Mc Girk, Frankster, Oz-fish, starfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 365 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |