Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#900811 - 07/20/14 01:28 PM Sockeye fishing change of pace
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Real estate is all about location, location, location. With fishing we can add timing, timing, and timing. I've been making the trek each of the last three summers to Baker Lake to enjoy the relatively new fishery based on the successful recovery of Baker Lake sockeye salmon. The setting is stunningly beautiful, and sockeye are one of my favored table fish. But this year's run fizzled, with too few fish in the lake to justify the trip. So my oldest childhood friend and I ambled across the state to north central Washington to try our luck with the record sockeye run returning to the Okanogan.

Timing, ah yes, timing. A couple weeks ago barely 10,000 sox had crossed Wells Dam, but as of last mid-week the number had risen to just over 100,000, and there must have been at least 150,000 by the time we launched Friday morning. OK, that's pretty good timing. The flip side is all the wild fires that have occurred this past week and are still burning. As we came out of the Mexican restaurant in Brewster Thursday evening, we learned that the town of Pateros was being evacuated, and we could see the flames coming over the ride above town 6 miles away. Acrid smoke and ash were everywhere. At times we couldn't quite see across the river. The car, boat, and all camping gear are covered with ash. I've got major clean up chores ahead of me now. My inconvenience is truly minor compared to those who lost the approximately 100 homes to the wild fires.

The fishing is as good as you could expect, and the fishing method is the same as Baker or wherever sox are found. Okanogan sox are small, about 2 to 3 pounds, basically half the size of Baker and Lake Washington sockeye. They cut sockeye red though, and I'll see how they BBQ tonight.

Sg

#900831 - 07/20/14 08:50 PM Re: Sockeye fishing change of pace [Re: Salmo g.]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Glad you found some Salmo.

I've had a few friends that have been over in that neck of the woods the past week and the stories they told of the fire are nothing short of astounding. The thrill seeker in me is tempted to go over and do what you did but the realist in me says stay the hell away from a bad situation and let the Pro's do their job and let the locals regain their footing. It's quite a scene on the news tonight.

#900850 - 07/21/14 01:09 AM Re: Sockeye fishing change of pace [Re: ]
landcruiserwilly Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell
i'm headed up to baker tomorrow for the annual daddy n daughter camping fishing trip. don't know how long she'll still want to do it, but as long as she does i'm in. wish there were more fish in the lake, though…..
I'll post a report when I get back

willy

#900866 - 07/21/14 11:12 AM Re: Sockeye fishing change of pace [Re: landcruiserwilly]
Swifty27 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tri-Cities, WA
Sounds like a good trip Salmo. Did you pick up any kings too?

There have been some intense pictures coming out of there. Not to hijack too much, but here's one that I think is worth a share.

#900933 - 07/21/14 09:07 PM Re: Sockeye fishing change of pace [Re: Swifty27]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

When I went over I wasn't as up to date on the wild fire news as I thought I was. Had I known, I probably wouldn't have gone. I have mixed feelings. I sure don't want to be in the way, so in the supermarket, anyone who looks like they might be working on fire fighting support goes ahead in line. And the local businesses need and appreciate tourism $$. So we spent a few bucks and tried to stay out of the way.

Seems like it's crazy insane there. I think Carleton must be in its 4th evacuation by now. The beautiful Methow valley is pretty crispy. This morning's email indicated that Douglas PUD lost 3 of its 4 hatchery housing units on the Methow, and the fire was headed toward Wells Dam - there goes all that green irrigated landscaping. Alta Lake golf course is burned to a crisp. And the list goes on.

Swifty,

No kings, and we didn't target them. Talked with another angler who was, and he caught 6 unmarked kings straight, although I hear that the marked hatchery kings are on the way.

Still haven't washed the ash off my car . . . ; it's going to be a long week.

Sg

#900941 - 07/21/14 09:59 PM Re: Sockeye fishing change of pace [Re: Salmo g.]
Achewter Offline

Loc: N of Seattle
My Buddy lost his cabin above Brewster. Sad Times.

#901056 - 07/23/14 10:41 AM Re: Sockeye fishing change of pace [Re: Achewter]
Swifty27 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tri-Cities, WA
Thanks Salmo. Kings seem to be very streaky. We picked up a wild one on our Sockeye gear earlier. Trolling, I watched one boat turn 5 loose. A couple days later, I saw 5 in a row kept. I hope they were all clipped.

#902738 - 08/12/14 02:04 PM Re: Sockeye fishing change of pace [Re: Swifty27]
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
Just returned from 4 N Chelan and 3 in Pateros.

Fish are in the smoker--king and socks

I will convey that the folks over there are most friendly and strong to rebuild. We were able to attend the Pateros Apple Pie Jamboree...we were also able to contribute directly to the funds that help these folks.

In short--go they want folks to visit, there are fish to be had, it is Hot (temps)..Brewster has a killer swimming pool, Pateros has a great steakhouse and hotel and bakery in town.

use downriggers small dodger double barbless hoochie coonshrimpers

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 947 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645290 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |