LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#900433 - 07/16/14 12:45 PM Bad News for Those Going North this Fall!!!
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

#900447 - 07/16/14 02:48 PM Re: Bad News for Those Going North this Fall!!! [Re: cobble cruiser]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Shooting themselves in the foot right there...we spend many thousands of dollars with them every year to catch and release some fish for a few days.

Looks like I picked a good year to take a year off wink

Fish on...

Todd

P.S. I don't see them actually keeping fishermen off the river this fall.

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#900451 - 07/16/14 03:17 PM Re: Bad News for Those Going North this Fall!!! [Re: Todd]
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
The article missed the biggest point. The Tribe is tossing Canadian National Railway and the logging companies off those lands too. Recreational anglers are small fish compared to these other two.

If the Tribes wanted to make their point about land ownership, they can't ignore the small fish. To do otherwise undercuts their legal argument against the big fish. So, in that sense, I don't blame them for the actions they're taking against recreational anglers. We're getting caught in the cross-fire in a much bigger fight.

#900453 - 07/16/14 03:39 PM Re: Bad News for Those Going North this Fall!!! [Re: cohoangler]
larryb Offline
The Rainman

Loc: elma washington
I wonder how the oil pipe line plays into this.

#900454 - 07/16/14 03:43 PM Re: Bad News for Those Going North this Fall!!! [Re: cohoangler]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

I agree that this most likely will not prevent people from sportfishing in the area, but it might prevent them from doing so (legally) without a First Nations endorsement or some such. My guess is that the Tribe decided they ought to get a piece of the pie when whitey profits off of their territory, and now they have a legal precedent to support their cause.

In the end, I bet this all shakes out in the form of tourists, railroad customers, and lumber buyers paying more for those businesses' use of the land. In other words, this is probably only bad news for your wallet if you plan to fish the Skeena this fall. I know it's a narrow-minded view, but lately, if I see something happening that seems outrageous, I assume it's for the sake of someone getting paid.

#900458 - 07/16/14 04:42 PM Re: Bad News for Those Going North this Fall!!! [Re: FleaFlickr02]
thefishnfool Offline
Spawner

Loc: Mt. Vernon
So how can they do this if they don't own the land? I can see them closing off their land but everything else too? Man I hope this gets resolved quick I'm supposed to leave 9/7!!!

#900495 - 07/16/14 09:23 PM Re: Bad News for Those Going North this Fall!!! [Re: thefishnfool]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Not sure if the Court decision gave them title or simply "rights" over activities on that land.

If the latter, our situation here may not be too far removed.

For example: Currently two tribes have objected to the issuance of a Corps of Engineers permit for ramp work at WDFW's Point No Point property apparently alleging (1) potential damage to several beach related resources (smelt, etc.) and (2) that having that access will put (more) boaters/fishers (meaning non-tribal members) in that U&A area thereby adversely impacting their treaty rights.

So the tail is wagging the dog here, too.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#900505 - 07/16/14 11:26 PM Re: Bad News for Those Going North this Fall!!! [Re: Larry B]
Driftfishnw Offline
Steelhead Hitman

I wonder what the price tag is going to be for getting their " permission"? ... Hmmmm $100.00 a day maybe?

#900760 - 07/19/14 02:52 PM Re: Bad News for Those Going North this Fall!!! [Re: Driftfishnw]
The Catcherman Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Ellensburg, WA
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I planned on going up again this year. I understand it is their country and we are guests there so I'm willing to kowtow to some extent...but only so much for so long.

#900912 - 07/21/14 06:20 PM Re: Bad News for Those Going North this Fall!!! [Re: The Catcherman]
Clackacraft Offline
Parr

Loc: Clackamas, OR
I'd be really surprised if they actually stop us from fishing, it might just become more expensive. We'll have to see what happens.

JD

#901298 - 07/25/14 04:37 AM Re: Bad News for Those Going North this Fall!!! [Re: Clackacraft]
OneMoreCast Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Auburn

Edited by OneMoreCast (07/25/14 04:40 AM)

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1114 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |