THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#901586 - 07/28/14 02:19 PM Sekiu, and Straights desert waste land ?
steelhead59 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Olympia, WA
Since the opener I have fished a total of eight days from Neah Bay to Port Angles and haven't landed a single adult Chinook. I am not new to fishing there and have a few select spots to target Chinook along the kelp beds that usually never fail me. Fished the opener and lost 2 adult Chinook at Sekiu and that has been it, with 6 days fishing at there. We did land several Black mouth from 6 to 10 pounds and these fish do not count as Chinook in July, as usually we let them go. Never in 30 years of fishing Sekiu have I seen such dismal fishing. Very little bait on the screen showing and only a few fish marked.
Fish Sunday out of Port Angles and seen zero nets fly, marked no bait or fish.
I know they are catching Kings and silvers out of Neah Bay out deep but nothing to talk about inside the Straights, sure they are catching a king here and there but no big push of fish coming in from the ocean yet and only 18 more days left on the King fishery. I thought after the rain last week something would change, but still no fish. Will they come??????

#901597 - 07/28/14 04:23 PM Re: Sekiu, and Straights desert waste land ? [Re: steelhead59]
Achewter Offline

Loc: N of Seattle
I 2nd your assessment. Something isn't rite. We've landed a few oddball decent fish up at Neah but it isn't close to what it should be in the normal areas. If you want to do a 90 mile round trip you can get into some decent fish but is it worth the run. Even the coho swarm is holding farther and farther of shore the last few years.

#901604 - 07/28/14 04:44 PM Re: Sekiu, and Straights desert waste land ? [Re: Achewter]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Wynoochee Syndrome

#901611 - 07/28/14 05:41 PM Re: Sekiu, and Straights desert waste land ? [Re: stonefish]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
We were out at Neah Bay Thu-Sun and compared notes with Achewter daily...and were about the same success rate.

Two kings on Thursday, a limit on Friday...then one on Saturday, and no kings on Sunday.

Clipped coho were around, and we did get a few of those, at least...and if you like retaining 24 1/2 inch blackmouth you could run 20 miles offshore and fill your limit in no time every day...we let all those go, and in fact had to leave several areas because we could hardly get our lines set without catching one.

Kinda like the usual of trying to get around all the coho to get a king...this time it was getting around the clouds of little ones to try and find an adult.

At least easy boxes of lingcod and rockfish were handled up at the end of each day, and the ocean/skies were absolutely beautiful.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#901612 - 07/28/14 06:02 PM Re: Sekiu, and Straights desert waste land ? [Re: Todd]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
I'm fairly certain all the missing fish are NOT in Area 7 either. frown

#901613 - 07/28/14 06:17 PM Re: Sekiu, and Straights desert waste land ? [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
Terry Roth Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Vashon
We fished Freshwater bay for 3 days---one 20# "native", one 30# "native", an 11# hatchery chinook that was kept----One keeper for 2 experiencedd guys fishing hard for 3 days. Coulda stayed down home in MA 11 and done the same....yesterday's creel count---15 boats, 28 anglers, 6 chinook.
Ugh...

#901614 - 07/28/14 06:19 PM Re: Sekiu, and Straights desert waste land ? [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

What Todd and Achewter described sounds like great fishing to me, but that's probably because I don't have to think about how much gas was burned up finding the fish....

#901615 - 07/28/14 06:28 PM Re: Sekiu, and Straights desert waste land ? [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
So upping the quota's up north aren't working for us down here this year?????? Sucks to hear it.Good luck,

SZ

#901620 - 07/28/14 07:10 PM Re: Sekiu, and Straights desert waste land ? [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
GBL Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Yakutat
The boats at the mouth of the Rogue are averaging about a King per boat and it is just getting started. Could the fish be out further right now? Oregon seems to be having great fishing so far this summer.

#901621 - 07/28/14 07:24 PM Re: Sekiu, and Straights desert waste land ? [Re: GBL]
Kyle_A Offline
Spawner

I for one am glad my boat is sold. After 40 years of declining fishing, I've come to the conclusion that the local grocery store always has a nice fish for less than the 3 gallons of gas my trolling motor would burn to catch one. Not to mention the other $30k I spent getting out there smile Good luck gentlemen.

#901622 - 07/28/14 07:43 PM Re: Sekiu, and Straights desert waste land ? [Re: Kyle_A]
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
And it is all about the meat isn't it Kyle?

#901635 - 07/28/14 09:23 PM Re: Sekiu, and Straights desert waste land ? [Re: GutZ]
Les Offline
Parr

Loc: Enumclaw
I totally agree this is going to be a very down year. Been fishing the Port Angeles area for the last 35 years and never in those years have I seen it as poor in what should be prime time. My partner and I fished hard the last two days and only put one fish to the net and it was about a #30 wild at Freshwater and saw only one net out in two days. We have been spoiled because it has been so very good the last few years but in my opinion you will start seeing some articles in papers with the question of what has happened to the Puget Sound Kings this year in what was supposed to be another great year. I also do not believe they are late as the last week in July thru the first week of august has always been prime time the last 35 years and it would really tail off after the middle of august. Even thru the years that were a bit down or very average the fishing was 10 times better then it has been this year or at least it was for the guys that really knew the area. I think most of the fish you hear about being caught in the ocean are fish heading to the Columbia. I know people that fish Sekiu regularly too and its the same story for them. Lets hope this isn't the norm in the future............Les

#901661 - 07/29/14 09:21 AM Re: Sekiu, and Straights desert waste land ? [Re: Kyle_A]
OlyFishin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia
Have to say that I feel better after reading this thread. Three days of fishing Sekiu and Neah Bay in early July resulted in one 12 lb king and a bunch of 5-8 lb blackmouth. Fortunately I was fishing with kids so they were just pleased as punch with the smaller fish. I thought that I maybe was doing something wrong... but I guess I was just experiencing a really bad year.

Wonder if the huge Columbia River run creates a competition issue for food with the Puget Sound fish? Interesting to note that most of the fish we caught were stuff with tiny little squid... never seen that before.

Guess that means Westport for the rest of the summer. The fish there are running pretty far offshore this year. Could be the PS fish are way out feeding and will just motor right thru the Straits and into the rivers in August?

#901687 - 07/29/14 02:07 PM Re: Sekiu, and Straights desert waste land ? [Re: steelhead59]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Could it be fish are running to deep to catch? I remember a few yrs back Coho in the straight were non existent, only the hatchery returns were huge. Theory then was they ran through to deep to get to. Wesport reports I have state 200' downrigger depths in 300' of water have produced good king catch rates. Bait top to bottom when you find it. That' s deep! Bet more are even beyond that, and impossible to access. Seem to be some decent area 9 reports. Point Wilson moochers are doing fair, some must be moving in? Just a thought a thought?

#901689 - 07/29/14 02:14 PM Re: Sekiu, and Straights desert waste land ? [Re: RUNnGUN]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Last time we were at Westport, three weeks ago, 200-225 was the sweet spot. Every time we hit that depth we had fish on in minutes. Searching for silvers is what took us so long, otherwise we would have been donje by 10am.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#901698 - 07/29/14 03:32 PM Re: Sekiu, and Straights desert waste land ? [Re: Dogfish]
Keeper Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
I was on swiftsure the 18th, 19th 20th and 21. We limited every day on 13-18 lb Chinook. East side, right on the boarder, fishing mostly alone. Unbelievable bait, krill, whales, sea lions ducks etc along the rips. Released a lot of small fish, many coho and some frankenfish. The offshore boat armada was on the table top/west side most of the weekend and we stayed away from them. They were within 100 ft of each other trolling on one spot. Wind Song came near us on the east side one day in pea soup fog and they had 13 limits on board that night at the dock. My friends down at skagway were getting fish in the low 20s but they were trolling for hours on end to get one.

My friends at Seiku blanked the week before. ten years of going there and they had never been skunked for three days straight in the beginning of July. No Chinook at the dock either. Feel bad for Van Rippers.

I was out this morning at possession and no point and Ive never seen it where there was just no signs of bait. Some ducks, no bait marking at all. I got to double bluff/ skunk bay and marked very little bait if at all.

Where are the herring?

Does this have something to do with he Haida Indians dumping 165 tons of sulfate off of Vancouver Island this year?

#901699 - 07/29/14 03:37 PM Re: Sekiu, and Straights desert waste land ? [Re: Keeper]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
We slayed them, both in numbers and size, fishing Sharkfin out of LaPush three weeks ago...fished there over the weekend, as well, and we scratched out a limit of very average fish...and it took a long time, besides a 32 mile run each way.

We had our best luck there fishing anywhere from 285 to 365 feet down...they aren't sneaking by below us, the depth finder and fish finder would show them to us and we'd go get them if they were wink

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#901701 - 07/29/14 03:42 PM Re: Sekiu, and Straights desert waste land ? [Re: Kyle_A]
TedR Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: South Sound
Originally Posted By: Kyle_A
I for one am glad my boat is sold. After 40 years of declining fishing, I've come to the conclusion that the local grocery store always has a nice fish for less than the 3 gallons of gas my trolling motor would burn to catch one. Not to mention the other $30k I spent getting out there smile Good luck gentlemen.

Even in the best years, owning a boat for fishing doesn't pay off from a purely economics point of view, money spent to put meat in the fridge. In that sense you wasted a lot of money over 40 years. I understand the frustration with diminishing returns but owning a boat is never about economics, becsuse it just doesn't pay.

#901703 - 07/29/14 03:55 PM Re: Sekiu, and Straights desert waste land ? [Re: TedR]
Keeper Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle

#901707 - 07/29/14 04:32 PM Re: Sekiu, and Straights desert waste land ? [Re: Keeper]
OnTheDrop Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Western WA
Originally Posted By: Keeper

I was out this morning at possession and no point and Ive never seen it where there was just no signs of bait. Some ducks, no bait marking at all. I got to double bluff/ skunk bay and marked very little bait if at all.

Where are the herring?

Jigged up a bunch of herring just north of kingston last weekend. Saw a lot of bait balls and fish on the finder, but no kings for us...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chromeo, Colluvium, lat59, m wilson, phishkellar, TBJ
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1027 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645360 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |