THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#901708 - 07/29/14 04:44 PM Re: Sekiu, and Straights desert waste land ? [Re: OnTheDrop]
steelhead59 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Olympia, WA
It is very possible that the Chinook are moving thru the Straights down deep, since that has been the pattern out in the ocean this year. Not many, if any Sekiu fishermen ever run there downriggers down below 150 feet. Usually its top 60 feet in the early morning hours in 120 feet of water or less. I believe if the fish have really moved in out of the ocean better reports would be coming in from the inside waters of the Puget Sound.
Maybe next trip to the Straights I'll try fishing out deep. My next plans to fish out in the boat I suspect will be low on the Columbia.

#901730 - 07/29/14 08:14 PM Re: Sekiu, and Straights desert waste land ? [Re: OnTheDrop]
BARCHASER Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bothell
We fished Sekiu for 4 days, 7/20 to 7/23, 3 rods. Lousy, dozens of Shakers and mostly small wild Silvers, no wild Chinooks. Last day we finally got two keeper Chinooks, 6 and 15.

We were going to go over again this coming Saturday, but cancelled. Not enuff fish to make it worthwhile, with the high cost of gas and the ferry cost. I thought the Chinook bite might pick up with the rain we had but looks like it didn't. On line fishchecker reports for Olsons had it 12 Chinooks last Sunday for 132 rods and the same kind of count last Saturday and Friday. I suspect a lot of the Chinooks that were caught were blackmouth. I just hope the Silver run in Puget Sound is better.

Also, there were zero bait balls at Sekiu around the Caves, Mussolini Rock, Eagle Beach and all the spots that usually hold bait.

The 15 pound Chinook was a white King which usually occur in BC and sometimes the north sound. Beginning to think Puget Sound Chinooks are a no show. Could be late I guess but I don't think so.

#901740 - 07/29/14 09:50 PM Re: Sekiu, and Straights desert waste land ? [Re: BARCHASER]
Les Offline
Parr

Loc: Enumclaw
I fished it shallow and deep. I mostly jig for the kings and I fished the bottom in 200+ feet several times. There is a lack of bait but there is enough there should be more then there is especially at Freshwater. There also is a glaring lack of dogfish...now this might seem good to some but usually when the dogfish are around the salmon are too as they hang with the bait too. There were dogfish the first two weekends of July but they have since disappeared. You can actually fish a bait as the good news...the bad news is there are few nookies to catch with the bait. Not much bait at all along the hook at PA as you would usually see those bait balls all over the top of the water in the morning and in really shallow later in the afternoon and evening. I really think the plain fact is it is just a crappy Puget sound Chinook run this year. The prediction is way off.....lets hope those big ocean silvers show for the October opener because that run is projected to be good too...........Les

#901744 - 07/29/14 11:08 PM Re: Sekiu, and Straights desert waste land ? [Re: OnTheDrop]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

"We had our best luck there fishing anywhere from 285 to 365 feet down..."

How big a balls you using?

#901761 - 07/30/14 12:13 PM Re: Sekiu, and Straights desert waste land ? [Re: RUNnGUN]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Originally Posted By: RUNnGUN
"We had our best luck there fishing anywhere from 285 to 365 feet down..."

How big a balls you using?

We were using 15# balls and braided rigger line to reduce the blowback as much as possible...trolling with the current, of course...we caught the heck out of 'em that deep, too, if you remember my La Push report from 4th of July weekend.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#901773 - 07/30/14 02:31 PM Re: Sekiu, and Straights desert waste land ? [Re: Todd]
SeaDNA Offline
Returning Adult

We've been consistently limiting on chinook out of Neah Bay since the opener. Swiftsure has been pretty reliable but it gives up mostly 8-12 lb'ers. Deep (250') tomic plugs are good for larger but few fish - mostly in the 15-18# range. Last Sat and Sun. (7/26-27) I was with an impatient newbie so we fished up in the 135' range. We limited on kings by 11:15 on Sat and 10:15 on Sunday. Flashers and pearl or purple hootchies.

Sharkfin and South Prarie has been where most of the commercials are at and a few of the recs looking for bigger fish. Decent but not great numbers of fish in the 15-30+ range (mostly upper teens, low 20's) have been coming from those areas. The guys who are getting 'er done best are fishing real deep - 250 to as much as 425 on the cable.

Occasional nice fish have been coming from the usual kelp bed adjacent areas - Skagway, Spike Rock, Father and Son, but the bite there has been very slow. It was awful during the opener. I attribute that to the terrible visability due to an algae bloom that only cleared a week or two ago.

Further N, excellent numbers of Chinook (and larger than average Coho) have been showing in the past week at Esperanza inlet and Nootka sound. I still think this is shaping up to be one of the best king years in recent history, we just need to be a little more patient.

#901779 - 07/30/14 04:06 PM Re: Sekiu, and Straights desert waste land ? [Re: SeaDNA]
bota2 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Allyn
My uncle and crew caught 3 at pilot this morning, that is 5 for him this week all deeeeeep. 3 were caught on the seahawk spoon

Joe

#902041 - 08/03/14 01:17 PM Re: Sekiu, and Straights desert waste land ? [Re: bota2]
Les Offline
Parr

Didn't fish the straights this weekend.....just wondering any new reports on the Inner Neah, Sekiu, Freshwater, PA fronts..............hoping this thing at least has one last spurt of Kings before its over. It is a pretty promising look at the early amount of silvers in the Sekiu area according to the fish checks.....hopefully that forecast of good fishing will come to be.................Thanks for the reports.........Les

#902045 - 08/03/14 03:02 PM Re: Sekiu, and Straights desert waste land ? [Re: Les]
Fishyfeller Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Port Angeles, Wa
9 fish out of 24 boats on Saturday at Ediz Hook launch when I asked the creel checker at 2:30 PM yesterday.

#902047 - 08/03/14 05:13 PM Re: Sekiu, and Straights desert waste land ? [Re: Fishyfeller]
Les Offline
Parr

Thanks for the reply.....looks like the same old, same old. It should be way better then that for what should be prime time. Some of those may have been those penner silvers too in that count. I really hope this is just "one of those years"...........thanks......Les

#902060 - 08/03/14 08:55 PM Re: Sekiu, and Straights desert waste land ? [Re: Les]
BARCHASER Offline
Juvenile at Sea

The on line fishchecker report for the strait and sound gets posted on Monday, so then we'll have a better read on the actual results.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/creel/puget/

#902138 - 08/04/14 09:04 PM Re: Sekiu, and Straights desert waste land ? [Re: BARCHASER]
Les Offline
Parr

The checks for Sekiu and PA still terrible. Did the stats for PA......In a 5 day period 306 anglers checked with 39 Chinook. Just to compare I did the same time periods in the last two years for PA. 2013/ 461 anglers with 160 Chinook....2012/ 508 anglers with 249 Chinook....This definitely is the poorest year I have seen in the 35 years I have been fishing the area In what should have been a prime time week. The Sekiu checks didn't look much better, if not worse for chinook so not many fish in the pipeline headed for PA. The last three years especially have been lights out in the area....guess we were due for a bad one.......Bad year for the Puget Sound Nookies.......................Les

#902153 - 08/05/14 12:19 AM Re: Sekiu, and Straights desert waste land ? [Re: Les]
BARCHASER Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Amen to that. I had a reser at Curleys starting last Sat but I cancelled. My bud still went over with his boat. I tried his cell today but no service, I'm curious to see if he did anything.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1083 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |