Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#902059 - 08/03/14 08:24 PM It's No Longer Just A Case Of Imagining Things
RtndSpawner Offline
Parr

Loc: Mason
Let's face it, no matter how you look at things this season has been a bust so far. Yes, there are people who have caught fish but there's been a whole lot of fishing and very little catching.

Case in point let's look at shakers. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems the only shakers being caught are the small ones, the 6-8" variety. Missing are the ones bigger than that, the 14-18" that are big enough to let you know they're there but not big enough to keep.

Let's talk about bait, or should I say the lack of it. Places like Jeff Head usually has tons of it. My trips out have found very little bait and what there is seems to be deep, really deep like over 200'.

There's other indicators too, like the creel census numbers or the tribes not even putting in their nets in Sinclair Inlet. Everything seems to point out "the fish are not there."

After a casual dockside conversation I think there might be a reason.

So, let me throw this tidbit out. Seems this guy spent 4 days up in Canada salmon fishing and caught a total of 3 fish. One of the guides there advanced the theory that the near shore water temps are much higher than usual, like 4 degrees. Because of that the fish are staying out in the ocean. Makers sense to me. I don't keep records but today the surface water temp was 58 degrees. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I remember last years temps being more like 52 degrees. With all the 80ish temps we've had this summer it seems like a logical reason. I'd like to hear everybody else's 2 cents worth.

#902066 - 08/03/14 10:21 PM Re: It's No Longer Just A Case Of Imagining Things [Re: RtndSpawner]
GBL Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Yakutat
Pretty darn good fishing along the Oregon coast!
Can't believe they are not out there someplace?

#902089 - 08/04/14 02:30 AM Re: It's No Longer Just A Case Of Imagining Things [Re: GBL]
TanTastic84 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Seattle, WA
I've seen quite a bit of bait on all my outings this year. But something might be going on. I'm in no way an experienced fisherman so I don't have any comparison data but it may not be as simple as them being in the ocean.

There's too much troubling data about the health of the oceans and climate change to overlook. I don't think it's one specific cause.

#902098 - 08/04/14 11:50 AM Re: It's No Longer Just A Case Of Imagining Things [Re: TanTastic84]
Fishyfeller Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Port Angeles, Wa
I concur with the lack of bait this year. They are saying its an el nino year. So what makes salmon fishing bad I think will make the tuna fishing great.

I think all the great ocean fishing this year is the 1.6 million kings and 1 million cohos headed to the Columbia river.

If the fish are staying out hopefully its for another year and not just late. Make some nice biggins for next year.

There does seem to be a lot more cohos coming in early in the straits so hopefully that is a sign of a huge run of them later this summer/early fall.

#902125 - 08/04/14 05:59 PM Re: It's No Longer Just A Case Of Imagining Things [Re: Fishyfeller]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
A commercial fisherman friend from AK says in his area the run was about double the forecast. Fraser sockeye seem to be below forecast, Lake WA and Baker were low, some summer steelhead returns were dismal in GH, as also appears to be fish off the coast.

Traditonally, when AK has good conditions for salmonids the opposite is true in OR and WA.

#902196 - 08/05/14 05:50 PM Re: It's No Longer Just A Case Of Imagining Things [Re: Carcassman]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Plenty of fish out deep in the ocean......and bait balls. I'm not scared yet, plenty of time to have some fun.Good luck,

SZ

#902199 - 08/05/14 07:28 PM Re: It's No Longer Just A Case Of Imagining Things [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
RtndSpawner Offline
Parr

Loc: Mason
That's sort of my point. My intention wasn't to say the fish aren't coming. It's more like they are out there. Is it the higher surface temps of the near shore waters holding them out in the ocean longer? Returning fish key in on the fresh water from their natal streams that float on the surface. Higher temps in the surface layers might be holding them back.

#902247 - 08/06/14 11:28 AM Re: It's No Longer Just A Case Of Imagining Things [Re: ]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
During the humpy run we were not seeing the huge schools of fish along the shore line like we have seen in past years. The fish were there, they just weren't following their customary patterns. The abundance of pinks that hit the rivers attest to the fact that the run size was huge, but those of us that targeted them in the salt found it somewhat difficult to find them. (Ok, this is where Mr. "I caught millions" chimes in). But for many, many of the salt guys I spoke to it was hard to find the schools.

I bumped into a WDFW fish biologist and asked his opinion as to the change. His response was "water temps"! He say that Puget sound is heating up. And that the fish are seeking cooler water channels as they enter the sound. Those channels (current flows) have shifted due to the higher temps. Sort of like moving inversion layers, only like cool water rivers running through the water. Those currents are deeper and move around, so it is very hard to predict where the fish will be at any given time. As an interesting note, he also said that they suspect that it is also impacting the chinook to some degree and my help explain the down turn in catch ratios. They fish just aren't where they used to always be.

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#902266 - 08/06/14 03:48 PM Re: It's No Longer Just A Case Of Imagining Things [Re: ]
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
Originally Posted By: 1LeggedMan

What causes the problem?

Population.

What causes population?

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

#902278 - 08/06/14 05:43 PM Re: It's No Longer Just A Case Of Imagining Things [Re: ]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
The angle of the dangle is directly proportional to the heat of the meat while the mass of the ass remains constant.

Big Stick watch. Not a full-on warning yet, but the conditions are conducive. . .

fb

#902281 - 08/06/14 06:55 PM Re: It's No Longer Just A Case Of Imagining Things [Re: fishbadger]
BARCHASER Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bothell
Temp is certainly important. I fish the Columbia pretty regular including 4 days in June with the water temp still cool at a Spring level. We fished in water 12-14 feet deep and did well. But for URBs in Sept the water will be much warmer and you need to fish down at 35-40 feet because down deeper the water is cooler.

#902292 - 08/06/14 09:53 PM Re: It's No Longer Just A Case Of Imagining Things [Re: NOFISH]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
Originally Posted By: NOFISH

What causes the problem?

Population.

What causes population?

Vaginas?

Maybe it's amphetamines.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (steely slammer, Carcassman, 1 invisible), 333 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645369 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |