LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#903235 - 08/16/14 02:05 PM What kind of line. mono or braid ???
JPbarbless Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Seattle
Heading to the Columbia B-10 First time in several years. Time for new line on my reels. I have 2 Shimano Charter specials. TR2000. What type of line would you suggest? I have seen people using the high vis braided line. Any suggestions and reasons for using your choice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks JP

#903250 - 08/16/14 03:54 PM Re: What kind of line. mono or braid ??? [Re: JPbarbless]
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

Since you have two reels why not try mono on one and braid on the other and see what works best for you? I use both types depending on the type of fishing I'm doing. They both have their negatives and positives. I tend to use mono more but braid is better in some places like jigging and some river fishing. For B-10 I could go either way. I'm sure that was not much help smile

#903272 - 08/16/14 06:52 PM Re: What kind of line. mono or braid ??? [Re: Keta]
Free_Globbin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Grays Harbor
Go with braid in 50-65. Spool them with two different colors so when they inevitably get crossed, it will be easier to untangle them.

#903290 - 08/16/14 09:53 PM Re: What kind of line. mono or braid ??? [Re: Free_Globbin]
Spoonmeister Offline
Fry

I always use 2 rigs. One set up with braid and bobber, the other with mono. I like using braid as main line drifting eggs under a bobber or in deep water( salt) for better hook sets when using jigs.

#903323 - 08/17/14 09:22 PM Re: What kind of line. mono or braid ??? [Re: JPbarbless]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: JPbarbless
Heading to the Columbia B-10 First time in several years. Time for new line on my reels. I have 2 Shimano Charter specials. TR2000. What type of line would you suggest? I have seen people using the high vis braided line. Any suggestions and reasons for using your choice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks JP

If you wanna use braid over mono, you will give up shock absorption.
Be sure to use a snubber or some other shock absorber in you system especially if you're into silvers.

Some of the his-vis lines you see could also be mono (or co-polymer).

I use braid for a few things, but use mono or co-polymer for most apps.
Sufix ProMix, P-Line or Izor (ProMix 1st and 2nd tied by the other two)....often his -vis chartreuse and some green (similar to UltraGreen).
By the time they see it (hi-vis) when you're presenting fast, they're ridin' it.
True said.

Lotsa good lines to choose from these days.

#903326 - 08/17/14 10:53 PM Re: What kind of line. mono or braid ??? [Re: Direct-Drive]
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: right place/wrong time
I wanta see another bbq.

"So it goes." Kurt Vonnegut jr.

#903329 - 08/17/14 11:05 PM Re: What kind of line. mono or braid ??? [Re: blackmouth]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
GTFO ya mutt.
And keep yer dirty ol' eyes off my girl.

smile

#903369 - 08/18/14 02:57 PM Re: What kind of line. mono or braid ??? [Re: ]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
#65 PP lighten up on the drag a lil.Good luck,

SZ

#903462 - 08/19/14 08:03 AM Re: What kind of line. mono or braid ??? [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Power Pro, Hi Vis, 40#........use on my 13' float rod, my drift rods, and the rods I use for spoon and twitching.

Works well for my uses.

I fish a loose drag, all the time....use educated thumb as a aid.

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#903536 - 08/19/14 11:37 PM Re: What kind of line. mono or braid ??? [Re: DrifterWA]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

I'd rather use mono, but for B-10 braid has the advantage. Smaller line diameter gives a better line angle with less weight when trolling. You'll see dozens, if not hundreds, of boats with anglers not managing there line. The depth changes all the time, even when you're trying to follow a specific depth contour. While the occasional fish is caught somewhere off the bottom, I think the difference between knowing that your bait is within 1 or 2 feet of the bottom is the difference between fishing and going for a nice, or pretty damn rough, boat ride.

50 and 65# braid seem to be the most popular, but I have used as light as 30# because it's still stronger than my standard 20# mono.

Take this with a grain of salt, cuz I got skunked, except for unmarked coho today.

Sg

#903541 - 08/20/14 02:21 AM Re: What kind of line. mono or braid ??? [Re: Salmo g.]
TanTastic84 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Seattle, WA
I fish exclusively mono in the salt. I probably wont change that practice until I'm convinced otherwise. I find it easier to deal with and much cheaper to replace.

As far as bank fishing in the rivers, I like braid. I think it makes float fishing and throwing spinners and spoons easier. It's easier to deal with potential backlashing. I run braid on my baitcasters and mono on my spinners which I use for drift fishing.

Anyway, I guess the point is, dont get bogged down with just one. Keep your options open!

#903555 - 08/20/14 12:03 PM Re: What kind of line. mono or braid ??? [Re: TanTastic84]
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
Replace braid? I can't remember the last time I did that. There is probably some 20 year old braid at the bottom of my 4000 wink

How many flashers did you lose TT? Add that to the cost of using mono. Plus with braid, if you get tangled with someone using mono, who wins? wink

#903593 - 08/20/14 05:26 PM Re: What kind of line. mono or braid ??? [Re: ]
TanTastic84 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Seattle, WA
That is true Gutz. I haven't lost a flasher yet (knock on wood) but then again, I dont go out as much as many of the guys on this forum.

The last time I tangled up with someone was probably when I was 13-14 years old. I was ripping away at my rod and reeling as fast as I could and what came up was a boat with two guys looking to kick someone's ass but saw my uncle and little ol' me. We had apparently tangled up and when they were trying to untangle our gear I thought I had a fish on and proceeded to put a hook into the guys thumb. But I guess that's what you got for trolling through a pack of moochers at Point Defiance as was vocalized by the other boats in the area who heard the guy bitching at us.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 274 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |