Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#905272 - 09/08/14 01:24 PM NOAA hatchery meetings
rojoband Offline
Returning Adult

NOAA Announces Hatchery Workshops
Want to know what the feds have in mind for Puget Sound hatcheries?
A draft of a proposed federal management plan for 133 Puget Sound salmon and steelhead hatchery programs will be on the table for public review and comment in early September.
The draft environmental impact statement (DEIS) on natural resource management plans for the hatchery programs will be featured at workshops where NOAA Fisheries representatives will discuss the project and answer questions from the public including fish managers, salmon and steelhead anglers, and environmentalists.
Workshop attendees may submit written comments on the DEIS at the meetings, by email to PShatcheryEIS.wcr@noaa.gov, or by USPS mail to the address provided at website http://www.westcoast.fisheries.noaa.gov/hatcheries/ps_deis/ps_deis.html.

Workshop Sites: (all 6 to 8 p.m.)

Port Townsend, Sept. 8 (TONIGHT)
Fort Worden State Park
Chapel - Building 24.

Lacey, Sept. 9 (TOMORROW)
Lacey Community Center
6729 Pacific Ave SE

Renton, Sept. 10 (WEDNESDAY)
17155 Maple Valley Highway

Sedro-Woolley, Sept. 11 (THURSDAY)
Community Center
703 Pacific Street

#905446 - 09/09/14 12:08 PM Re: NOAA hatchery meetings [Re: rojoband]
Backtrollin Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Duvall, WA
Did anybody go to the port townsend meeting?

#905464 - 09/09/14 03:31 PM Re: NOAA hatchery meetings [Re: Backtrollin]
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
I find it somewhat amusing that there is only ONE Federal agency who is authorized to operate a fish hatchery. And it ain't NOAA-Fisheries. It's the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

USFWS is the only Federal agency who operates and maintains fish hatcheries. NOAA can't. They just like to tell everyone else how to do it. But they have no personal experience. Nor will they ever since they have no legal authority.

#905543 - 09/09/14 08:25 PM Re: NOAA hatchery meetings [Re: cohoangler]
OncyT Offline
Spawner

NOAA actually operates a dandy fish hatchery and net-pen operation at Manchester. It is a very nice facility and quite well run.

#905555 - 09/09/14 11:47 PM Re: NOAA hatchery meetings [Re: OncyT]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
Had a friend who went to the PT meeting. He said there were 4 sport fishers there. Not a very good showing. He said the presentation was good and NOAA is looking for individual and group letters in support of or opposition to the 4 options. The EIS is about 1600 pages. The executive summary outlines the options.

http://www.westcoast.fisheries.noaa.gov/hatcheries/ps_deis/ps_deis.html

The sport fishing community needs to let NOAA know what its preferences are. The deadline for comments is 5 pm, October 23.

#905592 - 09/10/14 03:53 PM Re: NOAA hatchery meetings [Re: bushbear]
Backtrollin Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Duvall, WA
It seems as if these meetings flew under the radar. I would have made time to attend had I know they even existed. That said, I did submit a letter to NOAA voicing my concerns on the subject. NOAA has set up an email for public input, here is the info from the link listed in the post above.

Submit comments electronically to

PSHatcheryEIS.wcr@noaa.gov
Submit written comment to:

William W. Stelle, Jr.
Regional Administrator
NMFS West Coast Region
7600 Sand Point Way NE
Seattle, WA 98115

FAX: (206) 526-6426

#905751 - 09/12/14 08:38 AM Re: NOAA hatchery meetings [Re: Backtrollin]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
There was a decent crowd at the Sedro Woolley meeting.

42 peopled signed in. A major interest was the WFC/WDFW settlement and what it means to the Skagit steelhead fishing for the next 12 years.

Curt

#906235 - 09/15/14 11:22 PM Re: NOAA hatchery meetings [Re: Smalma]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
So the whole I-5 corridor gets turned into a fly flickers paradise by coercive actions by WFC and this is the only thread, with less than a full page of replies.

I'm almost sorry I was out of town when this went down as this shows how little the sports-fishers care about or are willing to really get involved in caring about their perceived passion, unless their all fly flickers!

Fishy

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

#906248 - 09/16/14 03:59 AM Re: NOAA hatchery meetings [Re: Somethingsmellsf]
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

Everyone must have been out of town.

#906252 - 09/16/14 09:28 AM Re: NOAA hatchery meetings [Re: Keta]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

I spoke with Kirk Pearson about this and asked if this could be redacted and was told that he was not sure but that he was very angry about this and he would do everything he could to, stop, curtail and prevent such actions like this in the future.
Anderson should be fired for selling public resources and making deals without public input and not following policy, at the very least.

Fishy

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

#906331 - 09/17/14 12:40 PM Re: NOAA hatchery meetings [Re: Somethingsmellsf]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Something . . .,

I don't see how the I-5 corridor is turned into a "fly flicker's paradise" with no steelhead programs and no steelhead seasons, unless you assume fly flickers only fish for sea run cutthroat.

The next couple winters after this season are going to be pretty grim in Puget Sound, with the only hatchery winter program being on the Sky. Yet when I think back, fishing for hatchery winter runs has been pretty poor for me in Puget Sound for quite a few years. Most of my fishing friends who fish the Skagit stopped caring about hatchery winter runs years ago, because the Skagit hatchery run, but for a couple exceptional years, has been way less productive than the wild run for the last three decades.

The Sedro meeting was attended by a few fly flickers, but the Wildcat whack 'em and stack 'em mentality was even better represented. So I'm not sure what your point is.

Sg

#906363 - 09/17/14 04:32 PM Re: NOAA hatchery meetings [Re: Salmo g.]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
Something . . .,

with no steelhead programs and no steelhead seasons, unless you assume fly flickers only fish for sea run cutthroat.

Perhaps you should reread the regs as I see open seasons for steelies.
Most of my fishing friends who fish the Skagit stopped caring about hatchery winter runs years ago, because the Skagit hatchery run, but for a couple exceptional years, has been way less productive than the wild run for the last three decades.
Which is why there should be a hatchery to keep those that want to retain fish from potentially poaching "wild" fish.

The Sedro meeting was attended by a few fly flickers, but the Wildcat whack 'em and stack 'em mentality was even better represented. So I'm not sure what your point is.
Sg

Hatchery fish are meant to be, in your words, whacked and stacked, itn provides opportunity, gives those that want a fish for the table, eats and should lessen the impact on "wild" fish.

Wait a couple of years when those hatchery fish are gone, then people that want to catch and kill a fish will be over on the Peninsula whacking and stacking and you'll hear the bitchin and whining start then!
Also see above post for another point of view.

Fishy

#906441 - 09/18/14 12:57 PM Re: NOAA hatchery meetings [Re: Somethingsmellsf]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Myass,

I appreciate your alternate point of view. Problem is, it's not real. Returns of Chambers Creek hatchery winter steelhead have been poor throughout Puget Sound for years now. Better on the Sky and Snoqualmie than other rivers, but poor nonetheless. So despite a world of caring, hatchery hard work, and unlimited volunteer support and dedication, the fact is, very few of these fish return. We have a fishing season, yes, and some may call that opportunity, but contrasted to a time when significant returns of hatchery steelhead was normal, it's a very weak description of opportunity. I'm not suggesting that people stop caring about the hatchery programs, I just think it's beneficial to be realistic regarding expectations.

Somethingsmells . . .,

Yes, there are open seasons for steelhead fishing, but seriously, how many hatchery steelhead have been available to catch in PS the last few years? Don't know about you, but I can't whack, let alone stack, fish that aren't there to be caught.

Sg

#906502 - 09/18/14 08:58 PM Re: NOAA hatchery meetings [Re: Salmo g.]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

SG,

I agree that hatchery fish have been surely lacking but that just magnifies how precarious the vaunted "wild" fish can be, without hatchery numbers to take the impact of fishing, "wild" fish will suffer.

Over 800,000 fishing licenses are sold in WA and some of those people want to take a hatchery steelhead home, lacking that some will resort to poaching. The WDFW has by its own policy and history has provided these hatchery fish for consumption, eliminating those fish without any input from the paying public was a huge mistake.

Has anyone taken into account how the commies or the Tribes are going to impact these dwindling stocks? They did not agree to this nor will go willingly along without some sort of mitigation.

Fishy

Fishy

#906540 - 09/19/14 11:04 AM Re: NOAA hatchery meetings [Re: Somethingsmellsf]
_WW_ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Skagit
Perhaps if the "paying public" was actually aware of the cost for hatchery fish on a per fish basis, things might have been shut down a long time ago. People might "want" to take home a fish, but no one "needs" to take home a fish. There are much more efficient ways to "feed" one's family.

Poachers will poach no matter the season, abundance, or penalties. You don't let criminals set policy, instead you set penalties for the act...and enforce them.

C&R fishing allows more people to enjoy the resource that is left. It never fails to amaze me that most people can only define their wildlife encounter with the death of the animal.

#906546 - 09/19/14 11:33 AM Re: NOAA hatchery meetings [Re: _WW_]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Something . . .,

PS wild steelhead are not suffering from fishing. Contrary to some opinions, fishing accounts for less than 4% take of wild PS steelhead. As WW mentions, poachers will poach. They always have; they always will. It's true that the tribes are not pleased with the hatchery steelhead agreement, but they don't get to transfer their steelhead fishing to the wild stock. The treaty entitlement is to "harvestable" fish, and there are few to no harvestable wild steelhead in PS.

The precarious status of wild steelhead has nothing to do with the hatchery steelhead. The status of PS wild steelhead is a function of habitat quantity and quality and marine survival rates. Just because GBL and a few likeminded individuals are convinced that it's all about the nets doesn't make them right.

Sg

#906548 - 09/19/14 12:08 PM Re: NOAA hatchery meetings [Re: Salmo g.]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
The idea that people have to be able to harvest hatchery fish or they will inevitably just bonk wild ones is absurd. Poachers are poachers. I also find it humorous that the people most in need of "putting fish on the table for their family" have thousands, often tens of thousands, into a boat. Perhaps we could start a "take a piece of salmon from my freezer" program for all of the people that "need" to bonk hatchery steelhead to survive?

#906597 - 09/19/14 06:43 PM Re: NOAA hatchery meetings [Re: rojoband]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: rojoband

Good article

SPORT FISHING GROUPS, TRIBES RALLY TO DEFEND HATCHERY STEELHEAD, SALMON

Story by Terry W. Sheely

"The stepped-up attack by wild fish zealots to end nearly all state and federal steelhead and salmon hatchery programs is, after months of free-reign, running into resistance from sport-fishing organizations and treaty tribes.
The conflict escalated following 3½ hours of sometimes contentious testimony at a State Senate committee work session orchestrated by Senator Kirk Pearson, chairman of the Senate Natural Resources Committee.
Pearson is an outspoken critic of the anti-hatchery movement and of Washington Fish and Wildlife Director Phil Anderson’s refusal to defend sport fishermen…"

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#906605 - 09/19/14 08:32 PM Re: NOAA hatchery meetings [Re: Lucky Louie]
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

SPORT FISHING GROUPS, TRIBES RALLY TO DEFEND HATCHERY STEELHEAD

And when they get the hatchery steelhead back the sports fishers will go back to cussing the tribes nets in the rivers. That's good for a laugh.

Edited by Keta (09/20/14 01:32 AM)
Edit Reason: typo

#906606 - 09/19/14 08:56 PM Re: NOAA hatchery meetings [Re: Keta]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

The disappointment from this fiasco was the lawsuit that leads to the out of court settlement with a minority extremist organization, whose ideals does not come remotely close to representing the 800,000 license holders in this state.

#906610 - 09/19/14 10:00 PM Re: NOAA hatchery meetings [Re: ]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Extremist ....minority.... and in BU's case goat worshipper .

Edited by Lucky Louie (09/19/14 10:40 PM)

#906622 - 09/19/14 11:45 PM Re: NOAA hatchery meetings [Re: ]
topwater Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Rocky Mountain High
Originally Posted By: Banned User

Extremists .... minority....any other buzzwords you got to toss in while you suck Indian dick ?

you forgot zealot... a favorite of the hack writer of that article.

#906627 - 09/20/14 02:23 AM Re: NOAA hatchery meetings [Re: topwater]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

A Wild Fish Conservancy spokesman confirmed during pointed questioning from Senator Pearson that the only hatcheries his group supports are hatcheries that have closed. “Those are the ones that we support,” testified Jamie Glasgow, WFC’s Director of Science, adding that in WFC’s opinion, “There is a very limited roll for hatchery production in this state.” rofl

minority...... extremist...... point of view

Edited by Lucky Louie (09/20/14 08:28 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, 1 invisible), 1061 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |