Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#905847 - 09/13/14 12:09 AM Anglers want answers to Skagit steelhead issues
Phoenix77 Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Kent, WA
Anglers want answers to Skagit steelhead issues

SEDRO-WOOLLEY — When will local fishermen be able to fish for steelhead in the Skagit River? What can be done about the closure of the Marblemount winter steelhead hatchery? Can the program be reopened using local stock instead of an imported species?
The majority of questions raised at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Puget Sound hatchery workshop Thursday centered on the 12-year closure of the Skagit .... http://www.goskagit.com/all_access/angle...9242532126.html

If you must burn our flag, Please! wrap yourself in it.
Puget Sound Anglers, So. King Co.
CCA SeaTac Chapter

I love my country but fear my government

#905858 - 09/13/14 09:26 AM Re: Anglers want answers to Skagit steelhead issues [Re: Phoenix77]
_WW_ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Skagit
I was at this meeting and noticed one glaring fact. The entire subject of the evening was "harvest" related. The days of harvesting steelhead may well be over for the highly populated Puget Sound area.

Habitat destruction and modification for human enterprise has reduced the carrying capacity of the Skagit system. However, the numbers of returning wild Steelhead to the Skagit are more than sufficient to support a well run Catch and Release season similar to the one that was in place before the ESA listing.

At the meeting, one of the attendees asked who he could talk to about getting some kind of fishing season back. He didn't get the proper answer so I'll give it to him here. Go to Olympia and ask the WDFW Commissioners. They are our advocates and the ones that can prepare the way by completing a basin specific management plan for the Skagit system. That is the first step for removing the Skagit from the Puget Sound ESA listing.

Although much of Puget Sound is in trouble, the Skagit is performing well and according to a study by those in WDFW the chance for Steelhead extinction in the system during the next 100 years is 0%.

In the spring of 2013 I tried to get the Wildcat Steelhead Club involved in our pursuit to remove the Skagit from the Puget Sound listing and restore our catch and release season. I was told, by the president of the club, that they did not support catch and release steelhead fishing on the Skagit.

It seems kind of ironic that they fully supported, and participated in, a catch and release program that released fish to the hatchery in a failed brood-stock program, but are against releasing them to reproduce naturally.

It is time for all sport anglers to put aside their differences, unite in a single voice, and advocate for what little sport fishing we may have left.

Respectfully, an Occupy Skagit supporter.

#905989 - 09/14/14 02:17 PM Re: Anglers want answers to Skagit steelhead issues [Re: _WW_]
bhudda Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: S River central
OS2015!

#905990 - 09/14/14 02:40 PM Re: Anglers want answers to Skagit steelhead issues [Re: _WW_]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Originally Posted By: _WW_

In the spring of 2013 I tried to get the Wildcat Steelhead Club involved in our pursuit to remove the Skagit from the Puget Sound listing and restore our catch and release season. I was told, by the president of the club, that they did not support catch and release steelhead fishing on the Skagit.

It seems kind of ironic that they fully supported, and participated in, a catch and release program that released fish to the hatchery in a failed brood-stock program, but are against releasing them to reproduce naturally.

At this point, fighting for the continued harvest of steelhead while being against CnR is an extremist position. Doing this while plenty of salmon harvest (meat) is still available makes it even more incomprehensible.

#906050 - 09/14/14 10:05 PM Re: Anglers want answers to Skagit steelhead issues [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Anglers who want to harvest(kill) steelhead also CNR. Anglers that CNR also harvest(kill) steelhead.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#906126 - 09/15/14 06:10 AM Re: Anglers want answers to Skagit steelhead issues [Re: Jerry Garcia]
GBL Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Yakutat
You can talk about habitat and population all day and it is a good discussion, but until you get the nets out, you are screwed on the mighty Skagit.
CNR is a joke when you have net not practicing CNR.

#906251 - 09/16/14 08:13 AM Re: Anglers want answers to Skagit steelhead issues [Re: GBL]
_WW_ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Skagit
Nets are a reality that is not going to go away - no matter how much whining is involved.

In spite of the netting, the spawning numbers were over 9,000 this past spring. That number is more than plenty to conduct a C&R season.

In today's world, you get the fishery you fight for! Or, you go down the road kicking rocks...

#906364 - 09/17/14 04:34 PM Re: Anglers want answers to Skagit steelhead issues [Re: _WW_]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
Originally Posted By: _WW_
Nets are a reality that is not going to go away - no matter how much whining is involved.

This is the exact kind of mentality that is the driving force behind continued deleterious commercial harvest practices.

Although a decision has been put forth allowing continued harvest of 50% of the stocks, it says no where in this decision that non-selective, outdated, dangerous, and harmful practices should be employed to deliver that 50%.

We live in an era of "co-managment" and it is our job to voice the concern, and the commissions job to drive the concern onto the doorstep of the tribes (who are a mix of tribal, and non-tribal interest parties). In the long run, it comes down to the tribal harvest managers to change the rules and regs for their people; the driving force being the extinction of their coveted resource. Half of nothing is nothing. We all know this.

To accept that nets are a "reality that will not go away" is a weak a$$ argument, and is a total cop out for the responsibility that we ALL share for the resource, tribal and non.
I want to be a fisherman.

#906372 - 09/17/14 05:48 PM Re: Anglers want answers to Skagit steelhead issues [Re: GodLovesUgly]
RB3 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Good luck changing that. And even more luck enforcing no nets if alternate means are employed.

It would be nice though.

Edited by RB3 (09/17/14 05:50 PM)

#906374 - 09/17/14 05:50 PM Re: Anglers want answers to Skagit steelhead issues [Re: RB3]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
Even just removing nets from the RIVER is feasible. That alone would be a vast improvement over present practice.

No nets? No. How about SELECTIVE purse seining?
I want to be a fisherman.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1074 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |