2014 Pinniped Predation: Salmonid Consumption Higher Than Past Three Years, 2.1 Percent Of Run
The “adjusted” white sturgeon consumption estimate (147) in the waters just below the lower Columbia River’s Bonneville Dam this year was the lowest by visiting sea lions since predation on the big fish was first observed in the hydro project’s tailrace in 2005, according a 2014 annual report released Sept. 16 by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

The Corps operates the dam and has since 2002 led research each spring aimed at evaluating the impact of marine mammal predation on salmon, steelhead and other fish species below the dam. Several of the salmon and steelhead stocks are listed under the Endangered Species Act, while white sturgeon are not.

Steller sea lions have over the years been the species that specifically targets white sturgeon, long-lived fish that are a favorite of both sport and commercial fishers. This year was no exception – Stellers took all but one of the sturgeon observed taken below the dam.

In 2014, the expanded white sturgeon consumption estimate for the study area was 127. “Expanded” numbers include observed predation and factor in estimates of fish taken during times when observers are not in place, such as at night. “Adjusted” numbers additionally include estimates of what percentage of observed, but unidentified, prey should be added to various fish categories (salmon, sturgeon, steelhead, e.g.).

“This number is the lowest we have seen since sturgeon predation was .... http://www.cbbulletin.com/432134.aspx

If you must burn our flag, Please! wrap yourself in it.
Puget Sound Anglers, So. King Co.
CCA SeaTac Chapter

I love my country but fear my government