Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#906520 - 09/18/14 11:25 PM Once extinct run of salmon on its own now
Phoenix77 Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Kent, WA
Once extinct run of salmon on its own now

BELFAIR, Wash. (AP) - Since 2004, biologists and volunteers have been working to restore an extinct population of summer chum salmon on the Tahuya River, which drains into southern Hood Canal southwest of Belfair.

Now it's time to find out whether Hood Canal summer chum can survive on their own in the Tahuya, said Clayton David, salmon and steelhead biologist for the Hood Canal Salmon Enhancement Group.

This will be the last year that summer chum from the Union River will be spawned artificially and released into the Tahuya, David said. "Hopefully, they will do their thing and keep on producing."

Even before Hood Canal summer chum were declared a threatened species in 1999, work had begun for restoring populations in several rivers where populations were barely hanging on. Remaining wild fish were caught and spawned. Their eggs were hatched in small portable incubators, and the young fish .... http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Once-extinct-run-of-salmon-on-its-own-now-275518511.html

If you must burn our flag, Please! wrap yourself in it.
Puget Sound Anglers, So. King Co.
CCA SeaTac Chapter

I love my country but fear my government

#906525 - 09/18/14 11:43 PM Re: Once extinct run of salmon on its own now [Re: Phoenix77]
RB3 Offline
Repeat Spawner

I've been seeing summer Chun throughout the canal. Those are some big toothie brutes.

#906573 - 09/19/14 04:23 PM Re: Once extinct run of salmon on its own now [Re: RB3]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
MY family has owned a cabin on the Tahuya since the 60s. The chum summer chum run was never all that big as I recall, but the coho came in by the thousands. Before they ley the cowboys net the canal for four straight years.

#906629 - 09/20/14 04:42 AM Re: Once extinct run of salmon on its own now [Re: Dave Vedder]
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

Extinct? Wow. The next thing you know, passenger pigeons and dodo birds will be on their own.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 319 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |