Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#907289 - 09/25/14 10:33 AM Salmon Return to Washington's Upper Elwha River
Phoenix77 Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Kent, WA
Salmon Return to Washington's Upper Elwha River After 102 Years

Wild salmon have returned to a stretch of the Upper Elwha River where they have been absent for 102 years. The last section of the two dams blocking salmon from their historic spawning grounds was removed in August, and just two weeks later, a chinook was spotted above the old dam site.

As assistant habitat manager for the Lower Elwha Klallam tribe, Mel Elofson has been working toward the restoration effort for 20 years and was the first to notice the salmon. "I just happened to walk up to the edge of the stream about 100 meters above the dam, and there it was, sitting right next to the bank," Elofson said.

He contacted Olympic National Park officials to tell them of the sighting, and park service biologists Heidi Hugunin and Anna Geffre conducted a snorkel survey to confirm the species last week. They spotted three adult chinooks between 30 and 36 inches long. "[Anna] spotted the first one," Hugunin .... http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/fiel...after-102-years

If you must burn our flag, Please! wrap yourself in it.
Puget Sound Anglers, So. King Co.
CCA SeaTac Chapter

I love my country but fear my government

#907813 - 09/29/14 09:34 PM Re: Salmon Return to Washington's Upper Elwha River [Re: Phoenix77]
Huntar Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Yakima, WA
Wild or hatchery fish (unclipped) imprinted above the dam prior to dam removal?

Just asking, as I have read several articles referencing smolt releases for several years prior to the dam removal.

#907823 - 09/29/14 10:48 PM Re: Salmon Return to Washington's Upper Elwha River [Re: Huntar]
OncyT Offline
Spawner

Since the hatchery program was considered a "conservation program," the hatchery fish carried coded wire tags but adipose fins were not clipped so they could be released in selective fisheries. You would have to run them through a tag detector or use a wand to find out if they are hatchery fish or not. However, since the latest stock composition I could find indicated that 96% of the adult returns (BY 2009 & 2010) were hatchery-origin, I'm going to guess that they are hatchery fish.

#907849 - 09/30/14 11:46 AM Re: Salmon Return to Washington's Upper Elwha River [Re: OncyT]
JustBecause Offline
Juvenile at Sea

From the WDFW Elwha Chinook HGMP:

http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01561/wdfw01561.pdf

Date program started (years in operation), or is expected to start-
Chinook releases into the Elwha River started in 1914, but consistent annual releases did not occur until 1953. The Elwha Channel, built in 1974, was originally designed to be a spawning channel, but because of difficulties in attracting adults onto the site, it was modified for use as rearing ponds.

For recent year origin estimates, see table on page 15.

Also,

3.4) Relationship to habitat protection and recovery strategies-
Elwha Hatchery Chinook salmon are included as part of the listed Puget Sound Chinook ESU. The program currently represents the vast majority of the production in the basin. As the EFRP progresses with dam removal and into the Recolonization phase, the hatchery program will be an integral part of the restoration effort, supplying adult Chinook salmon to utilize newly accessible and recovering habitat both above historic dam sites and in the lower reach of the river.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (stonefish, eddie, 20 Gage), 1083 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645295 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |