THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#908646 - 10/06/14 11:23 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: Nor Cal Drifter
The conversation is about whether or not flossing is legal. You seem to want to make it about me. I'm not interested. Feel free to continue this conversation with the WDFW - so far flossing still exists all along the west coast so somehow it must still be legal.

It's about you because you repeatedly defend flossing. Sometimes overt, sometimes covert.
Your posts telegraph how broken your idea of angling is.
We have the vampires at the terminal fisheries, no doubt, but it seems rampant down there.

I get pissed off when the yahoos break the sage plants along the trail.
And the alders in the riparian zone.
I start my pushback there. Flossers don't have a chance.

#908647 - 10/06/14 11:25 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
RobertF
Unregistered

so far flossing still exists all along the west coast so somehow it must still be legal.

Blame that on our inept fisheries management

#908648 - 10/06/14 11:27 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ]
RobertF
Unregistered

If the dfw would pass a rule that limits leader length it would do away with 90% of the snagger problem. And it ain't just California,I've seen the Lewis River hatchery,the Kalama,the "corkie fishermen " in oregon.

#908703 - 10/07/14 11:56 AM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
MPM Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA
so far flossing still exists all along the west coast so somehow it must still be legal.

Same with murder, rape, the drug trade, etc. They all exist, therefore they must be legal!

Nor Cal, I agree there's no need to make this about you, me, or anyone else in particular. But you are relying on some faulty logic to support your argument here.

#908718 - 10/07/14 01:03 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: MPM]
REV. JER Offline
Parr

I hate snaggers more than seals!!! I always tell em what pieces of human waste they are. Human cormorants. Flossers are barely any better, they just think they are. When the flossers/snaggers come out the banks get covered in litter. They throw over your line and dont care in the least. I say cut the leader length down and impose the stationary gear restriction. I know that wont stop the flossers but it will stop the blatant snagging. (I fish the lewis and the blatant snagging is more their style.) These "people" have respect nothing.

#908733 - 10/07/14 02:31 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: REV. JER]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
It's the same argument every time...the law clearly forbids it, but since it is impossible to enforce that means it is legal and ethical.

Snagging is snagging even if you can't get busted.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#908753 - 10/07/14 03:45 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
gooybob Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Don't want to start an argument because this has been beaten to death elsewhere, but until you can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the fish did not voluntarily take the offering (i.e. bead, corkie, etc.) then the method remains legal. Most are likely flossed as you assert, but there is a small percentage that hit the offering willingly. That being the case, you can't call it illegal. Not arguing one side or the other - just pointing out why the method remains legal in CA along with OR and WA.

REALLY?????? That's total BS dude. Why is it that some people just can't face reality (TRUTH)? Flossing is flossing and the jerkoffs that do it know they're flossing. It doesn't matter if it's Alaska, Oregon or California. Fishing is supposed to be a sport. Sports are exercised by sportsman and sportsman don't f-ing floss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even if it was legal is it moral or ethical considering the present condition of our SPORT fisheries? If rape was legal would you condone that? In a way that is exactly what flossers are doing to the fishery. They are f-ing raping it!!!!!!!!!!! WTF happened to etiquette? I'm so sick of the bonehead mentality of this kind of sh!t! I don't pay a f-ing fortune for a license and all of the other fees to fish in this state only to have a bunch of dickheads floss the fish I'm paying for!

#908829 - 10/07/14 10:52 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: gooybob]
FinChaser Offline
Fry

Loc: Wasilla, AK / Bellevue, WA
Interesting you bring up Alaska gooybob, I was just about to ask about it. Up here there are fisheries that are meant for snagging and some that are even opened to snagging by EO (the Resurrection River and Homer Lagoon for example). In these cases where it is completely legal and the specific fisheries are in good shape, would it still be considered unethical?

#908832 - 10/07/14 11:20 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: FinChaser]
milt roe Offline
Spawner

Loc: tacoma
While legal in some places, I would still consider it unsportsmanlike, which used to matter more than it does now. A lot of the questionable behavior is in artificial situations where we make fish easy targets for it, more so than in a natural environment. Maybe we should re think that. Pursuit of the quarry in their own natural environment, with skill and deception, a nimrod is a skillfull angler by the way, is what sport fishing used to be. Meat fishing for groceries by any means takes something away from that. There is a difference between sport fishing and what a lot of people are doing now.

Edited by milt roe (10/07/14 11:22 PM)

#908858 - 10/08/14 02:56 AM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: milt roe]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Flossing has an appropriate place in the eyes of many and that seems to be sockeye fisheries. Sure sockeye will eat, but it's way easier to floss em and fill the freezer and that's what 99.9% of sockeye fisherman are after, subsistence.

Sportsmanlike? Depends on how you define the word I suppose. There is a line between subsisting and sport certainly and I firmly believe the resource needs to be treated with respect regardless. I also firmly believe in the fundamental importance of both sport and subsistence, sustainability being the important concept in each case.

I floss sockeye and help others to do the same and am not afraid to admit it. Why in my mind this is ok for one fish but entirely unethical for others? I am not quite sure. Justify it how you will; they don't bite, there are so many, etc.

A few points on fishing vs. flossing.

First, the techniques are entirely different though to the untrained eye they can appear similar. Drift fishing, when done well, should try to mimick a natural (current speed) relatively drag free presentation of something that fish is naturally inclined to chew on.

Flossing, when done well, should try to target fish in a specific position (traveling or holding) with line and leader at strategic depths and angles so as to allow the angler to manipulate terminal tackle to achieve expressed purpose of getting groceries hooked in a "legal" area. What does "in the mouth" mean anyhow? What is on the end of the line, besides a hook of course, is of little importance as long as strategic line and leader depths, speeds, and orientations are met.

The differences are painfully obvious to any fisherman and we all know, or should at least, what it is we are trying to do. Unfortunately many charged with enforcing anti-snagging regulations arent fisherman, at least to the point of being able see the differences between fishing and snagging with a drift rig and/or trying to explain the differences from a "legal" standpoint.

To fisherman, anyone that cant tell the difference between a flossed hook up and a naturally accepted offering I say you are an unskilled and/or inexperienced angler. The differences are so obvious they they really can't be missed if you pay attention to the details, as any fisherman worth his salt does. The devil is in them after all.

Setting angler input or methodology aside for a moment, the way a fish behaves after it is hooked is entirely different from a fish that has taken voluntarily vs. one that has been snagged. One fish has been up to something else entirely (resting or moving) with a fairly focused agenda whilst the other has chosen to bite something and is surprised that this thing has a life of it's own.

Getting to know your quarry, it's moods, mindsets and behaviors is a big part of being successful in fishing and elsewhere. If to you fishing is just chucking a line out there and then now and again something pulls back, there is more to it mate. With greater investment comes greater reward.

Once upon a time I'd would have said there are flosserman and fisherman and that's it, but unfortunately it's not that simple. I now realize there are those that have been shown the wrong way and that know no other other methods. There are those that know and abide by better standards for the most part but comprise for food, clients, friends, and fun. There are purists that hold themselves and others to standards that would draw lines between one form of ethical fishing and another.

My current fishing venue is a perfect example of the culture clash that can exist in the steelheading world. For the last few days I've been kicking around steelhead streams in Alaska rubbing elbows with folks that only know how to catch a fish using the kenai flip and rip with a "coho" fly. Then there are those that will only fish an unweighted fly on a floating fly line. Finally there's a few more of us somewhere in the middle.

In the end who is right? Maybe we are all wrong. How can you love something to death anyhow.

I caught a steelhead today, a few in fact,. They are majestic creatures. It was a good day. They all ate what I showed them and I feel good about that. I hope I have a few more days like today down the road. More that that, I hope others are able to enjoy the same sort of days long after I am gone.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#908863 - 10/08/14 09:27 AM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Blktailhunter]
flylikeIdo Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Kenmore
Originally Posted By: Blktailhunter
Originally Posted By: flylikeIdo

You are missing the point. In California it is illegal and the site is promoting illegal fishing.

From their fishing regulations:

1.05. ANGLING.
To take fish by hook and line with the line held in
the hand, or with the line attached to a pole or
rod held in the hand or closely attended in such
manner that the fish voluntarily takes the bait or
lure in its mouth

Easy argument - My shiny line is my lure.

That is like reading something from the bible. One person reads flossing is illegal, another person reads fish prefer fishing line to lures and another reads they need to drive their children into the lake.

#908873 - 10/08/14 12:06 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: flylikeIdo]
MPM Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA

That argument is easy, but it is also unbelievable, and it is not true in flossing instances that the fish voluntarily takes the line into its mouth.

#908875 - 10/08/14 12:26 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ColeyG]
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Sacramento, CA
Originally Posted By: ColeyG
Flossing has an appropriate place in the eyes of many and that seems to be sockeye fisheries. Sure sockeye will eat, but it's way easier to floss em and fill the freezer and that's what 99.9% of sockeye fisherman are after, subsistence.

Sportsmanlike? Depends on how you define the word I suppose. There is a line between subsisting and sport certainly and I firmly believe the resource needs to be treated with respect regardless. I also firmly believe in the fundamental importance of both sport and subsistence, sustainability being the important concept in each case.

I floss sockeye and help others to do the same and am not afraid to admit it. Why in my mind this is ok for one fish but entirely unethical for others? I am not quite sure. Justify it how you will; they don't bite, there are so many, etc.

First, the techniques are entirely different though to the untrained eye they can appear similar. Drift fishing, when done well, should try to mimick a natural (current speed) relatively drag free presentation of something that fish is naturally inclined to chew on.

Flossing, when done well, should try to target fish in a specific position (traveling or holding) with line and leader at strategic depths and angles so as to allow the angler to manipulate terminal tackle to achieve expressed purpose of getting groceries hooked in a "legal" area. What does "in the mouth" mean anyhow? What is on the end of the line, besides a hook of course, is of little importance as long as strategic line and leader depths, speeds, and orientations are met.

The differences are painfully obvious to any fisherman and we all know, or should at least, what it is we are trying to do. Unfortunately many charged with enforcing anti-snagging regulations arent fisherman, at least to the point of being able see the differences between fishing and snagging with a drift rig and/or trying to explain the differences from a "legal" standpoint.

To fisherman, anyone that cant tell the difference between a flossed hook up and a naturally accepted offering I say you are an unskilled and/or inexperienced angler. The differences are so obvious they they really can't be missed if you pay attention to the details, as any fisherman worth his salt does. The devil is in them after all.

Setting angler input or methodology aside for a moment, the way a fish behaves after it is hooked is entirely different from a fish that has taken voluntarily vs. one that has been snagged. One fish has been up to something else entirely (resting or moving) with a fairly focused agenda whilst the other has chosen to bite something and is surprised that this thing has a life of it's own.

Getting to know your quarry, it's moods, mindsets and behaviors is a big part of being successful in fishing and elsewhere. If to you fishing is just chucking a line out there and then now and again something pulls back, there is more to it mate. With greater investment comes greater reward.

Once upon a time I'd would have said there are flosserman and fisherman and that's it, but unfortunately it's not that simple. I now realize there are those that have been shown the wrong way and that know no other other methods. There are those that know and abide by better standards for the most part but comprise for food, clients, friends, and fun. There are purists that hold themselves and others to standards that would draw lines between one form of ethical fishing and another.

My current fishing venue is a perfect example of the culture clash that can exist in the steelheading world. For the last few days I've been kicking around steelhead streams in Alaska rubbing elbows with folks that only know how to catch a fish using the kenai flip and rip with a "coho" fly. Then there are those that will only fish an unweighted fly on a floating fly line. Finally there's a few more of us somewhere in the middle.

In the end who is right? Maybe we are all wrong. How can you love something to death anyhow.

I caught a steelhead today, a few in fact,. They are majestic creatures. It was a good day. They all ate what I showed them and I feel good about that. I hope I have a few more days like today down the road. More that that, I hope others are able to enjoy the same sort of days long after I am gone.

Great post Coley.

#908877 - 10/08/14 12:29 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Excellent work Coley. Perspective, like intent, matters. Thanks for posting.

Sg

#908881 - 10/08/14 01:53 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Salmo g.]
REV. JER Offline
Parr

Another thing about the snagging/flossing is i end up catching a good number of fish by their busted off snagging gear. You would think that their 50lb line would hold up but since they don't know what they're doing the knots they tie are crap and they end up busting fish off and leaving a 10 foot leader hanging off the fishes back side.

#908888 - 10/08/14 03:16 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: REV. JER]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
How about a law saying float fishing only in terminal hatchery zones (flossing holes)?

They did the suspended lure rule on the Samish River so they can do it anywhere.

I realize that one can still floss with a float, I see it in British Columbia all the time, but at least it is much more difficult and totally ineffective most places.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#908899 - 10/08/14 04:19 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ColeyG]
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: ColeyG

Over the years this subject pops up now and then. All the same points over and over again. This post should be the last word on this topic. Probably wouldn't be.

#908902 - 10/08/14 05:00 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Keta]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope

You think?

#908909 - 10/08/14 06:12 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: MPM]
flylikeIdo Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Originally Posted By: MPM

That argument is easy, but it is also unbelievable, and it is not true in flossing instances that the fish voluntarily takes the line into its mouth.

Explain why fish are always swimming into nets! Not cause the line is invisible but its irresistible!

#908912 - 10/08/14 06:22 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Jason Beezuz]
flylikeIdo Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Originally Posted By: Jason Beezy
How about a law saying float fishing only in terminal hatchery zones (flossing holes)?

They did the suspended lure rule on the Samish River so they can do it anywhere.

I realize that one can still floss with a float, I see it in British Columbia all the time, but at least it is much more difficult and totally ineffective most places.

So you can't fish a spinner, a plug or a fly rod. No bouncing eggs across the bottom. Cant troll anything.

Makes sense to prevent a few people from running a line through a fishes mouth. Its a totally reasonable idea unless your one of the 90% of fishermen who don't float fish!

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Born2Boat, Dirk Mc Girk, Frankster, Oz-fish, starfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 335 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |