Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#909183 - 10/10/14 08:03 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Keta]
REV. JER Offline
Parr

Nope. I pitch em sh!t every chance i get... gun or no. but I do notice a difference in their behavior when they see it. smile And I like that.

#909191 - 10/10/14 09:06 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: REV. JER]
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

Ya sure. I'd love to see you pitch em sh!t without your gun at Herrling Island during the sockeye season.

#909202 - 10/10/14 11:08 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ]
RB3 Offline
Repeat Spawner

So salmon aren't biting my corkies? They look just like eggs.

#909352 - 10/12/14 02:10 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Blktailhunter]
Blktailhunter Offline
Returning Adult

They (the moderators) are doubling down on that Sniffer site

Wow! Real classy

#909379 - 10/12/14 06:52 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Blktailhunter]
RobertF
Unregistered

Worst fishing board ever,

#909435 - 10/13/14 11:57 AM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ]
J-D Offline
Fry

nothing better then walking up to a spot where its dead and nobody's 'catching', then start flossing fish every cast. O_O

#909439 - 10/13/14 12:58 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: J-D]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA

The Horde was out in force on the lower Humptulips this weekend. They had a canopy tent set up for shade, a big ole' bonfire and a radio blaring. My son counted 12 guys/kids and even "women" standing elbow to elbow and another group roughly the same size sitting under the tent. We watched them for twenty minutes or so- 1oz cannon ball sinker with at least eight foot leaders with a corkie. They were whipping their casts all the way across the river, letting it settle and ripping 180 degrees. Pathetic. One from the group would consistently be fighting a fish when, after an all day drift with plugs and bait, we only went one 1-6.

I have never seen them in this particular spot and it really surprised me after more than twenty years drifting this stretch. When I floated by in front of them, none would make eye contact and had nothing to say. Another boat at the takeout claimed to have taken video and contacted WDLF but I doubt anything was done. I guess the word gets out that fish were stacking in this appt and they all converge.

Edited by JTD (10/13/14 12:59 PM)
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#909476 - 10/13/14 07:30 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: JTD]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Anchor an old bed spring in there.

smile

#909477 - 10/13/14 07:40 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: JTD]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Originally Posted By: JTD

The Horde was out in force on the lower Humptulips this weekend. They had a canopy tent set up for shade, a big ole' bonfire and a radio blaring. My son counted 12 guys/kids and even "women" standing elbow to elbow and another group roughly the same size sitting under the tent. We watched them for twenty minutes or so- 1oz cannon ball sinker with at least eight foot leaders with a corkie. They were whipping their casts all the way across the river, letting it settle and ripping 180 degrees. Pathetic. One from the group would consistently be fighting a fish when, after an all day drift with plugs and bait, we only went one 1-6.

I have never seen them in this particular spot and it really surprised me after more than twenty years drifting this stretch. When I floated by in front of them, none would make eye contact and had nothing to say. Another boat at the takeout claimed to have taken video and contacted WDLF but I doubt anything was done. I guess the word gets out that fish were stacking in this appt and they all converge.

Sounds like a Children of the Corn and The Hills Have Eyes combo group outting.
How was the heavy metal banjo music?

#909479 - 10/13/14 08:05 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Direct-Drive]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA
Originally Posted By: Direct-Drive

smile

Why didn't I think of that???? A couple cement blocks and barbed wire strung between? The wheels are turning now.

doh

SF- I didn't listen really just rowed past in disgust. Couple of the guys looked shamefully upscale... The rest not so much.

chain
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#909480 - 10/13/14 08:12 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: JTD]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Originally Posted By: Direct-Drive

smile

Why didn't I think of that???? A couple cement blocks and barbed wire strung between? The wheels are turning now.

doh

SF- I didn't listen really just rowed past in disgust. Couple of the guys looked shamefully upscale... The rest not so much.

chain

Yep, a chunk of coiled barbed wire would be perfect and easier to transport.

thumbs

"The Bob Wire Hole"

#909485 - 10/13/14 08:55 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: J-D]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: J-D
nothing better then walking up to a spot where its dead and nobody's 'catching', then start flossing fish every cast. O_O

NO...

Nothing better than having your 8 yr old nephew walk up behind a stupid flosser standing crotch-deep in the middle of the Kenai... have the kid freespool his spoon just below the idiot who can't seem to get a bite.... and the younglin dam-near gets the rod ripped from his hands as a salmon attacks his spoon... "Uncle.... I GOT one!

The bewildered look of astonishment and disgust on the flosser's face was priceless. He'd been there all afternoon and hadn't hooked a single fish!

The only thing better is having your 5 yr old niece walk in right behind her brother to do it all over again.

LMFAO!

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#909501 - 10/13/14 11:47 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: JTD]
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish

lemme guess, quiggs property/rayonier hole area?

#909509 - 10/14/14 12:22 AM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Chum Man]
Bent Metal Offline
Carcass

Loc: Sky River(WA) Clearwater(Id)
Sleeping bags work well too. If correctly deployed, should come back looking like a large pin cushion grin

#909719 - 10/15/14 07:35 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: flylikeIdo]
gooybob Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Sport fishing is a sport. The sport was originally designed to fool a fish into biting. No need to say more.

#909724 - 10/15/14 07:51 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: gooybob]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
So where does one draw the line between sport fishing and personal use or subsistence fishing?

Catch and release = sport, catch and keep = subsistence?

Much like the words flossing or evolution for an example, it seems that term (sport fishing) has many definitions. In one context it means everyone other than commercial fishermen. The way you use it here it would seem to mean anyone fishing for fun or enjoyment. I happen to find myself enjoying fishing for food sometimes, how do I classify that activity?

Going back to the origin of the pursuit at least, fishing, I seriously doubt the first person to try and catch a fish was thinking anything about fun. Trying to put something on the dinner table was the more than likely the priority.

I'm not playing the devils advocate here at all and am anti-snagging in any fishery that isn't solely for the sake of sustainable harvest, e.g. sockeye in AK.

As sport and/or subsistence fisherman we just need to be careful how we choose our words so we can make sure we are speaking the same language.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#909728 - 10/15/14 08:22 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ColeyG]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Since their hooking method does not require willful take, I do not accept flossers as part of the sportfishing community and never will.

If legal, they are part of the subsistence fishing community.
If not legal they are snaggers.

#909729 - 10/15/14 08:28 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Direct-Drive]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
I like those definitions. How many communities is one fisherman allowed to belong to?

How do we classify the guy that drags a gill net for work during the day, flosses sockeye in the afternoon, and swings spey flies on a floating line for rainbows in the evening?

Not sure if I have met him, but he is probably out there.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#909733 - 10/15/14 08:38 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ColeyG]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Originally Posted By: ColeyG

How do we classify the guy that drags a gill net for work during the day, flosses sockeye in the afternoon, and swings spey flies on a floating line for rainbows in the evening?

This one would have some sort of mental condition.
Very likely eats live goldfish to entertain the folks down at the tavern.
Fish fear this fugger.

#909739 - 10/15/14 09:00 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Direct-Drive]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
You can be a member of as many as you want...you just can't be a sportsfisherman while you are snagging, or using your gillnet.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 192 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |