Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#908504 - 10/06/14 10:28 AM Flossing: It's the California way
Blktailhunter Offline
Returning Adult

Not only do they floss but they brag about it and the moderators ban anyone who speaking out against it. Pretty shameless.

[url=http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/salmon-steelhead-board/118354-ar.html][/url]

#908513 - 10/06/14 11:23 AM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Blktailhunter]
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Sacramento, CA
You'd better ban anyone on here that's ever fished (i.e . Flossed) Sockeye in AK while your at it.

Edited by Nor Cal Drifter (10/06/14 11:29 AM)

#908537 - 10/06/14 01:12 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
flylikeIdo Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Kenmore
I fish with my hooks clipped so that I still get a hit and know I could have caught the fish but I am still superior to anyone that uses hooks!

I am also a vegan who doesn't eat anything that created a shadow.

I also don't support the use of any fossil fuels so if you have a boat with a motor I am better than you. If you can't walk to your fishing hole I think you should be perma banned.

All joking aside if you hate flossing, dont floss. There are a bunch of fly fishermen that think using gear/bait is horrible and should be banned. Where does it end?

#908579 - 10/06/14 05:19 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: flylikeIdo]
Blktailhunter Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: flylikeIdo
I fish with my hooks clipped so that I still get a hit and know I could have caught the fish but I am still superior to anyone that uses hooks!

I am also a vegan who doesn't eat anything that created a shadow.

I also don't support the use of any fossil fuels so if you have a boat with a motor I am better than you. If you can't walk to your fishing hole I think you should be perma banned.

All joking aside if you hate flossing, dont floss. There are a bunch of fly fishermen that think using gear/bait is horrible and should be banned. Where does it end?

You are missing the point. In California it is illegal and the site is promoting illegal fishing.

From their fishing regulations:

1.05. ANGLING.
To take fish by hook and line with the line held in
the hand, or with the line attached to a pole or
rod held in the hand or closely attended in such
manner that the fish voluntarily takes the bait or
lure in its mouth

#908591 - 10/06/14 06:37 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Blktailhunter]
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

Don't want to start an argument because this has been beaten to death elsewhere, but until you can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the fish did not voluntarily take the offering (i.e. bead, corkie, etc.) then the method remains legal. Most are likely flossed as you assert, but there is a small percentage that hit the offering willingly. That being the case, you can't call it illegal. Not arguing one side or the other - just pointing out why the method remains legal in CA along with OR and WA.

#908593 - 10/06/14 06:56 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
MPM Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA
Nor Cal,

"Beyond a shadow of a doubt" is not a valid legal standard anywhere that I'm aware of. I don't know about California, but attempting to take a fish by a method in which the fish doesn't voluntarily take the hook in its mouth is considered snagging in Washington.

Will there be proof problems if WDFW tries to prosecute? Almost certainly. But that doesn't make trying to floss fish legal.

#908596 - 10/06/14 07:12 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: MPM]
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: MPM

Will there be proof problems if WDFW tries to prosecute? Almost certainly. But that doesn't make trying to floss fish legal.

Actually...it kinda does.

If I am attempting to entice the fish to hit my offering willingly, and I unintentionally floss one, I'm legal all day long.

Edited by Nor Cal Drifter (10/06/14 07:14 PM)

#908599 - 10/06/14 07:17 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: MPM]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
without a doubt this is a legitimate way to take fish. no game warden anywhere is going to get off his ass! out of his truck and inspect each flossed fish. I know for a fact that a GW is only as good as his binocs or spotting scope. the numbers are just to great to break the phenomenon. flossers are not interested in regulations. as long as the fish comes to shore head first it's a totally legal fish! There's not enough GWs in the state to break this. flossers are about numbers to the bank. not fish legally fished, hooked or caught!

#908601 - 10/06/14 07:23 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: Nor Cal Drifter

If I am attempting to entice the fish to hit my offering willingly, and I unintentionally floss one, I'm legal all day long.

Yer delusional.....still.
And apparently you fit right in with the broken fisheries in the over-populated areas.

It's true, ignorance is bliss.

I'm lucky in that I fish in a roadless area where it's one man to a run and the fish attack my offerings.

#908604 - 10/06/14 07:43 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Direct-Drive]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
icame across a guy 2 weekend's ago. a full blown flosser. I jumped his ass and asked if he was going to set after every cast? he replied back yes! I belittled him and told him he was a [Bleeeeep!] fisherman. he replied with everything it's "how he learned to take salmon" every cast w/10' leader rip!!!!! he set soften that he had broken eyes on his spinning rod hitting rocks!

these guys can not be rehabilitated !!!!!! once a flosser has been taught to floss the sequence is complete. NEVER TO BE BROKEN!!!

#908605 - 10/06/14 07:53 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Brewer]
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
A few years ago, when I could still stand on a river gravel bar, I was fishing along side of a flosser that jerked several times during his drift.

Every time he jerked I quickly asked "Ya got one"? He said "no". I'm kinda loud and I think he got tired of me and quit yankin'. fp loved it!

fp

Edited by fp (10/06/14 07:54 PM)

#908607 - 10/06/14 08:02 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Direct-Drive]
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: Direct-Drive

And apparently you fit right in with the broken fisheries in the over-populated areas.

I'm lucky in that I fish in a roadless area where it's one man to a run and the fish attack my offerings.

Never said I flossed DD. I'm not making this personal. You outta do the same.

#908610 - 10/06/14 08:07 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
MPM Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA
Nor Cal,

By your logic, if I reliably hide the murder weapon, the murder was kinda legal.

Your second point is valid, if you happen to floss a fish accidentally, that's not a violation in Washington. But that's not what we're talking about, right?

#908611 - 10/06/14 08:08 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: MPM]
ReefSkunk
Unregistered

Nor Cal Flosser is a flosser. Conversation is moot.

#908618 - 10/06/14 09:20 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Healing begins with accountability.

My name is eyeFISH, and I AM a flosser.

Dammmmm... I feel better already.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#908626 - 10/06/14 10:08 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: Direct-Drive

Never said I flossed DD. I'm not making this personal. You outta do the same.

Oh, I thought you said that you were a flosser of the unintentional variety and legal all day long.

One of the steps in the 12 step Flossers Anonymous program ?

The attack...the pickup....that is the thrill.
That magic millisecond.......
There is no substitute.

#908637 - 10/06/14 11:02 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Direct-Drive]
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

The conversation is about whether or not flossing is legal. You seem to want to make it about me. I'm not interested. Feel free to continue this conversation with the WDFW - so far flossing still exists all along the west coast so somehow it must still be legal.

Edited by Nor Cal Drifter (10/06/14 11:04 PM)

#908641 - 10/06/14 11:09 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Flossing is 100% illegal in WA.

What part of voluntarily taking the offering is so hard to get.

It's all about the angler's intent... Is he fishing in a way intended to allow the fish to chase the gear or is the gear chasing the fish.

END OF STORY!

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#908642 - 10/06/14 11:12 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Flossing is the equivalent of fishing with a single strand gillnet.

J F C... defending flossing as if the fish are "chasing" that 8 ft leader is like saying Humptulips kings and coho are "biting" the gillnets (currently deployed in tidewater as I type this reply).

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#908645 - 10/06/14 11:22 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: eyeFISH]
RobertF
Unregistered

The Fish Sniffer board has always been and always will be a joke. Nothing to see here,move along folks.

BTW flossing,whether it is legal or not,ain't fishin. Just sayin.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
280ackimp, DAVEANNICK, nicksdad, redgussydog, reitersteelhead123, wallacewhaler123, zswoods
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1001 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645354 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |