LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#909543 - 10/14/14 02:31 PM Is it safe to eat?
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#909555 - 10/14/14 03:41 PM Re: Is it safe to eat? [Re: eyeFISH]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Things that make ya go.........Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.Good luck,

SZ

PS, I'm still eating my springers each April..................

#909561 - 10/14/14 03:54 PM Re: Is it safe to eat? [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
There aren't many non-anadromous fish that I'd eat out of any river in the Columbia system or Puget Sound, at least not the lower end of Puget Sound streams.

Same goes for resident fish that live in Elliott Bay...I mean, really? How much junk from the waterfront and the Duwamish waterways do you think is in a lingcod, rock crab, or flounder that lives in Elliott Bay? It has to be astronomical.

A sturgeon that is suctioning off the bottom in the Columbia estuary?

No thanks...same as Elliott Bay as far as I'm concerned.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#909569 - 10/14/14 05:27 PM Re: Is it safe to eat? [Re: Todd]
Swifty27 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tri-Cities, WA
I would be curious to see results of resident fish in the Reach. The water quality is highly monitored through that free flowing stretch. I imagine there's some farm effluent that would make it's way down. It's about the only area I would consider eating resident fish. Kind of ironic since it was a major source of pollutants a couple decades ago.

#909570 - 10/14/14 05:33 PM Re: Is it safe to eat? [Re: Todd]
TanTastic84 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Seattle, WA
Really worrisome.

Especially since the majority of the fish consumed around the world is commercially caught. The idea that studies like this stay silent with the majority of the population is really scary. No one questions WHERE the fish they're purchasing comes from. The main question most consumers have is COST. If it looks good and has a reasonable price, then hell, it's dinner.

There's so much research out there but the typical consumer has no idea where to find information on what actually goes onto their dinner table.

Sad.

#909589 - 10/14/14 08:05 PM Re: Is it safe to eat? [Re: ]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
The state even has surprisingly strict guidelines for our salmon which nearly all of us ignore.

The prognosis on a macro level is basically horrible.

#909600 - 10/14/14 09:23 PM Re: Is it safe to eat? [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Well, that was tough to watch. Makes me not miss the catch-n-keep estuary sturgeon fishery quite so much. Even though mostly resident fish were the target, I'm kinda surprised they didn't sample some of the river's salmon/steelhead too since that's the fish that directly affects most of us who fish down there.

#909605 - 10/14/14 10:21 PM Re: Is it safe to eat? [Re: eyeFISH]
Local Offline
Returning Adult

Doc,

I would send you a PM but Drifter never showed me how when he was at AHS. I need to advised you that I am not available this week.

Thanks.

#909621 - 10/15/14 01:23 AM Re: Is it safe to eat? [Re: Local]
no fish10 Offline
Fry

there is no way I would eat a bottom fish out of Puget sound or a sturgeon out of the Columbia River. We had a biologist come to our poggie meeting. What they had to say about the creeks around seattle was terrifying. I heard a tribal member state that the Green river was a waist of time for raising fish. You need clean water not transmission fluid to raise fish in. Most of the water coming off our roads and highways goes into Puget sound. We had a biologist from save the kings come to our meeting . He said the salmon smolts going into Puget Sound are not surviving. They don't make it past Port Townsend. The message I got from these two biologists was that you can have overpopulation or you can have fish but you cant have both. There are a lot of things we don't hear about.

#909625 - 10/15/14 08:45 AM Re: Is it safe to eat? [Re: no fish10]
GBL Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Yakutat
27,000 and yet the controlling agencies do not flat stop the dumping no matter where it comes from or the cost to the polluter!
Just shows why it is such a mess.

#909785 - 10/16/14 03:02 AM Re: Is it safe to eat? [Re: GBL]
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

The "enviros" were shouted down. Now the chickens are coming home to roost.

#909895 - 10/17/14 10:13 AM Re: Is it safe to eat? [Re: Keta]
fever Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bellingham, WA
In case you haven't been here....

http://www.doh.wa.gov/CommunityandEnvironment/Food/Fish/Advisories

I read it and realize I need to cut back on eating the fish I catch or start giving it to my brother in law.

#910009 - 10/17/14 09:19 PM Re: Is it safe to eat? [Re: ]
WN1A Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
Originally Posted By: 1LeggedMan
If your not eating it someone else will.

Someone else is eating it. At the moment I am looking out a hotel window in Yeosu, South Korea at a beautiful bay. The street below is lined with small cafes, each with a tank of live fish in front or a pot for cooking crabs. Last nights dinner was a set menu for a small group which included about 30 different kinds of raw fish and shellfish, several kinds of cooked fish, and abundant kinds of kimchi. Not something you should do if toxins are a concern. The fish was fresh, a friend ate at a different spot where the octopus wouldn't let go of the serving dish and we had a few unknown items still trying to escape. I feel fine but a couple of friends are not doing as well.

The point is if you are worried about toxins don't eat fish (maybe don't eat at all but that is also fatal). In the video human health is the focus, the word sacrifice is used often, but it is the fish that suffer. The legacy pollution will never be cleaned up because we are adding something new every day and using the ocean as a plastic garbage dump insures that marine fish get their share. It is grim to think about, time to take a walk to see the local fish market.

#910019 - 10/17/14 09:44 PM Re: Is it safe to eat? [Re: WN1A]
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Olympia, WA
I gather shellfish at one of the inlets in the south Sound. The Health Dept. says the beach is OK for recreational shellfish harvest, and there are commercial beds nearby. Still, the sand and mud smell like crap. Locals call the area "the colon of Puget Sound." There ain't no sushi on my dinner plate, just shellfish with the sh!t cooked out of it.

#910073 - 10/18/14 02:46 PM Re: Is it safe to eat? [Re: CedarR]
Wild Chrome Offline
Spawner

Loc: The Tailout
Heart disease is the #1 killer in the United States. Eating fish reduces your risk of heart disease.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/heart-disease/in-depth/omega-3/art-20045614?pg=1

That said, it's stupid to eat fish with high toxin levels when there are fish swimming by, in the same rivers, with low toxin levels and more omega 3's for your heart.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Born2Boat, Dirk Mc Girk, Frankster, Oz-fish, starfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 365 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |