Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#910389 - 10/20/14 11:19 PM Quillayute Debacle
Blu13 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Fished it for the 1st time this year. What a Joke. Got there Saturday morning. Shoulder to Shoulder. Rigs everywhere. Boats everywhere. Get a spot and see someone I know release a fish. I asked why? He said you have to Release Wild Salmon in the Park. New Rule this year. Park did a poor job of letting people know. There is Boundary on the upper end of Richwine. Kind of hard to see.

From there it went downhill. Lots of Wild fish kept. Some guys cut the Head & Tail off so you couldn't tell. Some caught fish and filleted them immediately. Some didn't care and just put them in their Rigs. Some took 6+ Wild fish. Lots of people pulled them onto the bar. 5-10 ft out of the water, didn't have pliers, struggled to get the hook out, then kicked the fish back across the bar and into the water.

There were people who obeyed the rules. It was a 50/50 mix at best. No enforcement.

#910390 - 10/20/14 11:26 PM Re: Quillayute Debacle [Re: Blu13]
Hunterman_78 Offline
Eyed Egg

I wasnup there saturday as well. Where were younat? I was up on the upper end of richwine and cfrom what I saw everyone was following the rules.

#910391 - 10/20/14 11:42 PM Re: Quillayute Debacle [Re: Blu13]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
Originally Posted By: Blu13
He said you have to Release Wild Salmon in the Park. New Rule this year. Park did a poor job of letting people know.

Last time I checked it's your responsibility to know the rules of where you're fishing.

#910393 - 10/20/14 11:55 PM Re: Quillayute Debacle [Re: fish4brains]
Blu13 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

fish4brains

You're right. The rules had been the same for years. I got complacent. If I fish a river in the Park I'm not familiar with I check. In this case they had been the same for years. Always followed the State's lead. They now have a different philosophy.

#910483 - 10/21/14 05:33 PM Re: Quillayute Debacle [Re: Blu13]
mreyns_tgl Offline
Random VaJJ Stalker

Loc: Port Angeles
Richwine bar is the butthole of the OP, right up there with Calawah Ponds in the summer and the shuwah hole on the duc. The people that go there typically won't give a crap about any rule and that includes snagging. Not trying to throw everyone under the bus, but the majority is pretty ignorant there.

#910521 - 10/21/14 09:45 PM Re: Quillayute Debacle [Re: mreyns_tgl]
Hunterman_78 Offline
Eyed Egg

I agree there are alotmof people that go there thatndo not care. But there are some that fish there that take the time to teach peolle that are snagging how to get the fish to actually hit your offering. I saw it this last weekend a guy snagged a few fish and let them go, there was a older guy and myself went to the guy and found out this was only his second or third time fishing for salmon ever. So we showed him how to do it properly and soon enough we had him catching fish that nailed his gear. Pretty cool. Imwill admit that the show up there can get out of hand sometimes. Thats ome of the reasons that I am in the market for a drift boat actually. Pretty nervous about it since ive never rowed down a river myself before, normally my dad rows

#910533 - 10/21/14 10:35 PM Re: Quillayute Debacle [Re: Hunterman_78]
Blu13 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

In my view it has steadily gotten worse over the last 10+ years. A few years back I was there one day fishing next to some of the old time locals on a day with only a few people there. They were talking about the lack of ethics and common courtesy they were seeing more and more. And it is on the other rivers over there as well. Garbage, snagging, jumping into someones spot when they are netting a fish for someone. Crap like that. It sucks.

When I started going over years ago I made it a point to be nice, courteous and caring.

#910577 - 10/22/14 02:42 AM Re: Quillayute Debacle [Re: Blu13]
Symbiosis Offline
Smolt

Loc: Olympia
Originally Posted By: Blu13
..... I made it a point to be nice, courteous and caring.

thumbs
Thank you for that Blu, some of us appreciate that & have been doing so for many years as well.

#910593 - 10/22/14 12:04 PM Re: Quillayute Debacle [Re: Symbiosis]
GBL Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Yakutat
Well, when you don't raise your kids to respect, they will act like idiots.
When you let anyone into the country without teaching them the rules and they don't speak English, you get Russian snaggers, the Snohomish is full of them, as well as most other rivers.

#910601 - 10/22/14 12:38 PM Re: Quillayute Debacle [Re: GBL]
retriever Offline
Smolt

Loc: Renton, Wa
I was there on Thursday and saw it differently- probably due to less pressure. I kept thinking though, as I released wild fish, did the nets release them the day before, and why isn't the state requiring release of wild fish one half mile upriver? Not a well integrated regulation in my opinion.

#910663 - 10/22/14 04:45 PM Re: Quillayute Debacle [Re: retriever]
Blu13 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

retriever

I talked to both WDFW and the Park Biologist. It boils down to they have different views. Park service believes all Wild Salmon, Stealhead etc should be released.

I did find on a Park website where they were looking for input on the new rule back in January-February. It looks like it got 0 comment

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
4 registered (steely slammer, wolverine, 2 invisible), 941 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645366 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |