LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#908371 - 10/04/14 07:48 PM Night Fishing Lighting Tips (Squid)
CShreds Offline
Egg

What I have: A 300 watt clamp light.

What I need: A cheap way to power the light on piers around the Seattle area.

I'm trying to fish for the squid the proper way, which means using a light to penetrate the surface of the water and attract more of those little guys. The issue is this; I've been having problems finding information on how to power a clamp light with a regular two prong ac chord. I see people with batteries but you obviously can't just hook an ac chord up to the +- inputs on the car/marine battery. A power inverter would work but apparently it would drain the battery in under 2 hours (not nearly enough time to catch a lot of squid).

Any information on night fishing lighting for relatively cheap would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking for something cheap and effective, piers are bright but generally not bright enough to really attract the schools.

Thanks,
Colin

#910557 - 10/22/14 12:00 AM Re: Night Fishing Lighting Tips (Squid) [Re: CShreds]
Irie Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: South Sound
Good luck...on this board.

Try squidfishingwa.com

From what I've read, a small generator kept back off the pier with a long cord is a preferred method when the outlets are corroded and shot to hell. Some of those guys use some bright-ass halogen or sodium lighting. I suppose I could bring in my 4kw generator and really light it up, but I don't know if the excess noise would be worth it. Other than that I am as in the dark as you are. Pun intended.

#910587 - 10/22/14 11:30 AM Re: Night Fishing Lighting Tips (Squid) [Re: Irie]
docspud Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Silverdale Wa
1. Grab an extension cord from home depot.
2. Grab a marine plug/adapter at same depot if they have them in stock or any boating store(West marine).
3. Cut the extension cord.
4. Wire the marine plug to said cord.
5. Wait for moonless night with good tides(high always produces more squid for me).
6. Bring bucket/beer/rods/jigs/smoke(if your into that)
7. Plug cord directly to shore power on the dock and into your shop light.
8. Fill said bucket with squid.
9. Clean squid.
10. Flash fry.(don't over cook)
11. Open good dark beer.
13. Eat squid
14. Smoke/drink a little more
15. See if the old lady is in the mood(she wasn't)
16. Put on movie
17. Fall asleep before get through previews

#910627 - 10/22/14 03:25 PM Re: Night Fishing Lighting Tips (Squid) [Re: docspud]
ballardbrad Offline
Fry

Loc: Ballard, WA
I haven't been out this year but I just bought a Bait Snake http://www.baitsnake.com/#!testimonials/chsu with a 40' cord. Low power draw and works with any 12v battery. Got it more to use off my kayak but the longer cord will be great off piers where there's limited lighting.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |