Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#911036 - 10/25/14 03:48 PM Re: Favorite braid for spinners? [Re: Free_Globbin]
ondarvr Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Spokane WA
I use Fins original and Windtamer, both in pink. Yes, much better than PP.

PP is considered a low end product In the world of braid.

#911152 - 10/26/14 01:24 AM Re: Favorite braid for spinners? [Re: ondarvr]
Rossiman Offline
Spawner

Loc: Monroe, WA
I use braid for practically everything nowadays. The benefits of it far outweigh the negatives. However, Power Pro has been pissing me off lately and I tore it off a few reels. Going to try the Fins XS...

#911154 - 10/26/14 01:38 AM Re: Favorite braid for spinners? [Re: Phil Maraude]
Blktailhunter Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: Phil Maraude
fuking hate power pro.

fins xs is WAY better, but no one has heard of it before. just trust me on this one, converted every single friend of mine from power pro to fins xs 1 by 1 that has tried it.

Took your advice and bought some Fins XS braid. Best braid I have ever used.

#911172 - 10/26/14 11:13 AM Re: Favorite braid for spinners? [Re: Blktailhunter]
old nate Offline
Juvenile at Sea

ok, been using power pro for years, but always willing to try something new. Where do you buy it?

#911173 - 10/26/14 11:15 AM Re: Favorite braid for spinners? [Re: old nate]
old nate Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Sorry, who sells the fins?

#911177 - 10/26/14 12:19 PM Re: Favorite braid for spinners? [Re: old nate]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Here is the web site:

http://www.finsfishing.com/xs.aspx

They do have places in Washington State that sell this product. Have some good videos that tell different things about the line......1 that interested me.......braid that has a stretch factor, built in.

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#911225 - 10/26/14 07:09 PM Re: Favorite braid for spinners? [Re: DrifterWA]
eswan Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Super slick 8 in 40# with 4' 20lb ultra green leader for all coho methods. don't fish spoons much due to mainly fishing backwater.

#911275 - 10/27/14 07:28 AM Re: Favorite braid for spinners? [Re: eswan]
GBL Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Yakutat
12lb Ultra Green, you can cast and catch any size fish with it.

#911279 - 10/27/14 10:16 AM Re: Favorite braid for spinners? [Re: GBL]
Jeff D Offline
Spawner

Loc: S. Whidbey
PP Braid is king for tossing spinners, rotator and jigging fot blackmouth or halibut but I don't like it on the downrigger rods!

Fins has built in stretch? Don't think I need that in my braided line.

#911326 - 10/27/14 05:32 PM Re: Favorite braid for spinners? [Re: Jeff D]
Wild Chrome Offline
Spawner

Loc: The Tailout
I find it interesting and a little funny that people are comparing 10-15 pound mono with 30-40 pound braid. 10-15 pound braid is the shyt! Get above 20 pound on the braid and you lose some of braid's biggest advantages (casting distance, less drag/staying down). Besides, most braided lines have strength way beyond their stated pound test, sometimes double.

14 lb Fireline has been my go-to for 10 years. Put a 10-12 pound Maxima leader on it via a swivel and it's the best. I just wish the coating lasted longer. I have to replace it frequently.

#911334 - 10/27/14 06:18 PM Re: Favorite braid for spinners? [Re: ]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Only on kings though...right.Good luck,

SZ

#911344 - 10/27/14 07:40 PM Re: Favorite braid for spinners? [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
No More Ice Fishin Offline
Returning Adult

A lot of good responses here.

I generally like mono, but prefer braid in a lot of situations with spinners. I like fishing a thin diameter braid (to me one of the advantages over 10-15 lb mono), so that I can flip spinners further and to also have the blade dig dipper.

I also like the feel of a spinner while using braid, although I guess you pick up the vibrations pretty well with mono too.

The thin diameter braid does seem to wrap a lot though, both on the spinner's shaft, especially in current, as well as around the rod tip. I guess a mono leader solves the shaft part at least.

I've been fishing the moss PP some...but in the thin diameter it's almost impossible to watch your line, which I kind of like doing while sweeping a spinner. Maybe I'll try the yellow PP, or some of the Fin XS in pink. Is that stuff ridiculously bright? I like being able to pick up my line visually on the water, but not sure about the super high vis stuff.

Also interesting that there are a lot of different schools of thought here on lines for spinners...probably more so than for most techniques.

Edited by No More Ice Fishin (10/27/14 07:41 PM)

#911347 - 10/27/14 09:00 PM Re: Favorite braid for spinners? [Re: Jeff D]
ondarvr Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: Jeff D

Fins has built in stretch? Don't think I need that in my braided line.

One type of Fins has built in stretch, they make several different versions. Follow the supplied link and read the descriptions.

#911350 - 10/27/14 09:09 PM Re: Favorite braid for spinners? [Re: No More Ice Fishin]
eswan Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Im thoroughly convinced high vis does not matter. After taking fish in gin clear water with high vis to jigs and spinners i can confidently say they don't care. Don't give them more credit than they deserve

#911351 - 10/27/14 09:15 PM Re: Favorite braid for spinners? [Re: No More Ice Fishin]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: No More Ice Fishin
A lot of good responses here.

I generally like mono, but prefer braid in a lot of situations with spinners. I like fishing a thin diameter braid (to me one of the advantages over 10-15 lb mono), so that I can flip spinners further and to also have the blade dig dipper.

I also like the feel of a spinner while using braid, although I guess you pick up the vibrations pretty well with mono too.

The thin diameter braid does seem to wrap a lot though, both on the spinner's shaft, especially in current, as well as around the rod tip. I guess a mono leader solves the shaft part at least.

I've been fishing the moss PP some...but in the thin diameter it's almost impossible to watch your line, which I kind of like doing while sweeping a spinner. Maybe I'll try the yellow PP, or some of the Fin XS in pink. Is that stuff ridiculously bright? I like being able to pick up my line visually on the water, but not sure about the super high vis stuff.

Also interesting that there are a lot of different schools of thought here on lines for spinners...probably more so than for most techniques.

Line twist, tip wrap is an omnipresent problem when fishing spinners for sure....not so much with spoons.
#1 cause for me to change out line.

Seems like this ol' problem would be exponentially worse with braid.

#911489 - 10/29/14 01:20 PM Re: Favorite braid for spinners? [Re: Blktailhunter]
Phil Maraude Offline
Fluffer

Loc: Port Angeles Wa.
Originally Posted By: Blktailhunter
Originally Posted By: Phil Maraude
fuking hate power pro.

fins xs is WAY better, but no one has heard of it before. just trust me on this one, converted every single friend of mine from power pro to fins xs 1 by 1 that has tried it.

Took your advice and bought some Fins XS braid. Best braid I have ever used.

yep!

http://wfoworms.com
http://www.rvrfshr.com
http://www.batsonenterprises.com/

#911506 - 10/29/14 05:00 PM Re: Favorite braid for spinners? [Re: ]
ondarvr Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: 1LeggedMan
Does it come in high vis and down to 10lb?

Follow the link he provided.

Fins made braid for other companies before marketing their own brand. They have several versions and all the normal # ratings

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1085 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |