LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#910713 - 10/22/14 07:09 PM Will this crap ever end???
GBL Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Yakutat
While patrolling the Tahuya River last week, Officer Summit focused his attention on the upper portion of the river where the water has been very low, creating optimal conditions for “snagging” – an illegal and unsporting harvest method that involves tearing into the flesh of a passing fish with a large hook on the end of a weighted line.
Heading into the area on foot, Officer Summit checked a trail camera installed in the area and saw that three subjects had headed up river earlier, but had not yet returned. Officer Summit positioned himself strategically and waited. About a half an hour later the three subjects returned from the portion of river that is closed to salmon fishing carrying fishing poles rigged with gear for salmon fishing. They claimed they were catching and releasing fish, but with clear water conditions and very nice salmon in the upper reaches, Officer Summit thought this scenario was highly unlikely. He instructed one subject to open his backpack for inspection. The subject became very nervous and attempted to conceal the contents multiple times, unzipping the same compartment repeatedly. Officer Summit persisted, and the subject finally opened the pack to reveal three one-gallon freezer bags full of fresh salmon roe. Officer Summit instructed the three subjects to return to the river and retrieve the salmon carcasses from which the eggs had been removed. The subjects were able to collect 16 of the 20 Coho salmon carcasses that they had discarded in the woods and log jams.
While the subjects claimed they were avid steelhead anglers and were only using the roe for bait, Officer Summit knew better. All three of the subjects are well-known by Fish and Wildlife Officers in the area, and have been cited multiple times for numerous fish and wildlife violations. In this instance, the subjects were cited for Criminal Trespassing 2nd Degree, Failing to submit catch for inspection, Possession of salmon eggs w/o carcass, 1st degree over limit salmon, harvesting salmon in a closed area, snagging salmon, and wasting salmon. Their fishing gear was also seized for forfeiture.

#910716 - 10/22/14 07:26 PM Re: Will this crap ever end??? [Re: GBL]
stonefish Online   content
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Unfortunately, it won't stop.
In fact it seems to get worse every year. Salmon season brings out the worst in scumbags.

#910725 - 10/22/14 07:50 PM Re: Will this crap ever end??? [Re: ]
On The Swing Offline
Spawner

Saw that fishery go from quiet solitude to the snagging cluster funk of outta towners, the walakes crowd and navy crowd, now you have to really pull some tricks just to get to the river

#910730 - 10/22/14 08:09 PM Re: Will this crap ever end??? [Re: On The Swing]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Had a cabin on the Tahuya for many years. Not too sorry the river took out the cabin and I sold the land. Back in the 60s the river was stuffed with wild coho . . .

#910737 - 10/22/14 08:58 PM Re: Will this crap ever end??? [Re: Dave Vedder]
GBL Offline
Three Time Spawner

Same with the Snohomish Dave, now it is full of foreigners snagging at will and no one stops them.
Spent my life on that system and now it is a sess pool of losers and tweakers.
Used to spend days on the Sky and Snoho and see almost no one but a few locals enjoying a beautiful river and never had to lock my car doors, now you leave them unlocked so they don't bust out the glass!
Sooner or later, the good guys need to revolt and crush these losers and take back their right to fish and hang out without someone stealing everything they own when trying to fish for a day!

#910758 - 10/22/14 10:45 PM Re: Will this crap ever end??? [Re: GBL]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Weak, very weak. That sux ballz. Good luck,

SZ

#910779 - 10/23/14 12:31 AM Re: Will this crap ever end??? [Re: GBL]
OLD FB Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Stanwood WA
Originally Posted By: GBL
Same with the Snohomish Dave, now it is full of foreigners snagging at will and no one stops them.
Spent my life on that system and now it is a sess pool of losers and tweakers.
Used to spend days on the Sky and Snoho and see almost no one but a few locals enjoying a beautiful river and never had to lock my car doors, now you leave them unlocked so they don't bust out the glass!
Sooner or later, the good guys need to revolt and crush these losers and take back their right to fish and hang out without someone stealing everything they own when trying to fish for a day!

Damn sad state of affairs indeed! 58 years enjoying this sport and glad I had an opportunity to enjoy what I did and when I did too!

#910790 - 10/23/14 08:16 AM Re: Will this crap ever end??? [Re: OLD FB]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Should have waited until they got back into their vehicle and confiscated that also.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#910793 - 10/23/14 10:38 AM Re: Will this crap ever end??? [Re: Jerry Garcia]
flylikeIdo Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Kenmore
This is the problem with fishing eggs. They only keep hens so they can replenish their egg supply. As a former egg fisherman I know the burden of having enough bait. One day I realized I was killing hundreds if not thousands of potential salmon every year by keeping only hens and decided to find a way to catch fish that didn't require eggs.

Started fishing spoons, spinners, and jigs. I might catch a few less fish but I know I am not damaging the runs even if I accidentally floss a fish once in a while.

#910798 - 10/23/14 12:34 PM Re: Will this crap ever end??? [Re: flylikeIdo]
REV. JER Offline
Parr

I think fishing with eggs is just fine. I only harvest eggs from the hens i wanna put in the freezer however. If I run out, although I usually have enough to last the year, I fish other methods. I always fish with lures though, the spoon is my absolute favorite fishing method, and every other method I can just to keep those fish on their toes. (or maybe on their fins) smile

#910799 - 10/23/14 12:35 PM Re: Will this crap ever end??? [Re: REV. JER]
REV. JER Offline
Parr

On the snaggers... when you see em harass em as hard as they do the fish!!! smirk

#910841 - 10/23/14 05:37 PM Re: Will this crap ever end??? [Re: REV. JER]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
The field agent in that area is a real go-getter. He can be a bit agressive at first, but he is definitely willing to work to get poachers. First time I ever met him he jumped out of the bushes to count my check some clams I had dug. I had been one over and had taken a trip back to actually put back. He stated he was watching from above and was wondering if I had gone back for a second limit. A quick glance at my bucket and he was done with me. We chatted a bit and he stated he was going to start hiking in on the Tahuya to get some of these guys. Next time I saw him he was back at the clamming beach nailing over limit clammers. If you are legal, he is polite but firm, if you are doing something illegal he appears to be all over it.

Great to see a guy that actually takes the effort to get snaggers and poachers. Most of the agents I have ran into don't seem to want to get out of their truck. I wish they would transfer him to the Skok or Nisqually.

#910856 - 10/23/14 06:34 PM Re: Will this crap ever end??? [Re: Krijack]
REV. JER Offline
Parr

I wish they would send him to the north fork of the lewis!!! We need him! smile

#910901 - 10/24/14 12:16 AM Re: Will this crap ever end??? [Re: REV. JER]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
We need him on the Sky & Snoho to curtail the Russians & Tweakers. Greater Population Density = Greater Opportunities for Revenue.

#910996 - 10/24/14 10:44 PM Re: Will this crap ever end??? [Re: NickD90]
Sebastes Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe,WA.
Reverend Tarpones and I had been cutthroat fishing in the salt on Hood Canal and stopped to check out an easily reached spot on the Quilcene for a looksee.
There were several people including fathers with kids snagging. We yelled at them that it was illegal, but they ignored us. We then went back to the Marina to see if the Tribal LE officer could do anything whom we had seen earlier. He was tied up with another illegal fishing situation, but told us that the local WDFW officer there had written so many tickets the day before , was tied down to his computer doing the paperwork on tickets he wrote the day before.

Maybe I have just been fortunate, but I have been checked for my license, life jacktets, etc. by LE officers in several states and provinces and they have always been professional. A couple I have personally known were adept at asking questions that if you answered wrong could get you a citation. One being a time when three of us were Pacific Cod fishing in Port Madison many years ago, cruised up and said,Hi Guys, hows the commercial cod fishing, based on our commercial stickers on the boat for bottomfish jigging.

We gave him a blank stare and in unison, said, it's closed. Another time I was fishing rockfish in Rich Passage when I heard a cheerful voice say, is that your crab pot marker, referring to the yellow dish soap bottle near my boat. My back had been turned away from the approaching enforcement boat and replied, recognizing the voice, no (same officer), that's my rockfish marker. He said, "Oh Hi, and went on his way with another LE officer and their boat.

I have a great deal of respect for LE fish and game officers, they have a tough job done it very professionally in my experiences.

I am sure some folks may have different experiences, that is mine.

Edited by Sebastes (10/24/14 10:51 PM)

#911530 - 10/29/14 06:38 PM Re: Will this crap ever end??? [Re: Sebastes]
gooybob Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
It's sad. The Indians have also been guilty of killing fish strictly for the eggs and leaving the rest on the bank. It's not just Russians and other minorities which are a real part of the problem but the locals can be just as bad. They feel they have a right and as with all groups they are just cutting off their nose to spite their face. Law enforcement is overwhelmed. I thought the WSP was going to start getting involved in enforcing the F&W laws although I saw on the news the other night that they are short handed and looking for more recruits.

#911532 - 10/29/14 07:04 PM Re: Will this crap ever end??? [Re: gooybob]
GBL Offline
Three Time Spawner

Been a real problem for years. I remember finding a 40 foot gill net strung across the Pilchuck during Coho season years ago, it was a local that lived on the river. We did get the net (22 Coho in it) out and when he came out of the woods and threatened us we took the risk and charged him, held him down, went into his own house and called the cops. He got fined and lost his license for 5 years,,,,like he cared about that!
Point is, there are just so many losers out there doing [Bleeeeep!] stuff, it is hard to stop them and they know it.

#911606 - 10/30/14 02:22 PM Re: Will this crap ever end??? [Re: GBL]
goodtimesfishing Offline
Parr

Originally Posted By: GBL
Been a real problem for years. I remember finding a 40 foot gill net strung across the Pilchuck during Coho season years ago, it was a local that lived on the river. We did get the net (22 Coho in it) out and when he came out of the woods and threatened us we took the risk and charged him, held him down, went into his own house and called the cops. He got fined and lost his license for 5 years,,,,like he cared about that!
Point is, there are just so many losers out there doing [Bleeeeep!] stuff, it is hard to stop them and they know it.

Way to go! I wish more people would get involved with these scumbags!

#911841 - 11/01/14 08:19 PM Re: Will this crap ever end??? [Re: goodtimesfishing]
Audball Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Renton, WA
They need to publish the names and addresses of these snaggers. Then we need a few guys to go burn their houses (singlewides) down and shoot 'em when they run out. Word spreads quick....

#912037 - 11/03/14 01:30 PM Re: Will this crap ever end??? [Re: Audball]
Slab Quest Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Mukilteo or Westport
I wonder if the perps are tribal members and if so, will they be punished?

so many repeat offences...

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |