THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#912686 - 11/08/14 03:46 PM Re: The Easy Part - Moose Hunting in Alaska [Re: ColeyG]
Driftfishnw Offline
Steelhead Hitman

Great journey and great animal, Coley! I have my first moose hunt planned in '16 just a little south of ya... You're definitely not making the wait any easier thumbs

#912692 - 11/08/14 04:39 PM Re: The Easy Part - Moose Hunting in Alaska [Re: Driftfishnw]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Don't make it short on our account.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#912709 - 11/08/14 11:48 PM Re: The Easy Part - Moose Hunting in Alaska [Re: Jerry Garcia]
Bucket/Good Sport Offline
Kitsap's Crankiest Contractor

Loc: Poulsbo
[Bleeeeep!] dude--the edge of me seat is gone!

#912717 - 11/09/14 08:58 AM Re: The Easy Part - Moose Hunting in Alaska [Re: Bucket/Good Sport]
kingdog Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Tumwater
Thanks for the journey, better than any magazine could give.

#912724 - 11/09/14 12:58 PM Re: The Easy Part - Moose Hunting in Alaska [Re: ColeyG]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Offshore
Originally Posted By: ColeyG
It would be impossible to describe the wave of euphoria that washed over me and I think something to the effect of “no [Bleeeeep!] way” came out of my mouth. I don’t think I was in disbelief that the round had found it’s mark as much as I couldn’t believe it had all come together. There were so many ways that the whole situation could have, should have gone wrong from barely seeing him in the first place to then having him follow the only path that would offer me a shot to then have the shot work out in such a narrow window to get it off. It was an amazing feeling, but one I didn’t have much time to enjoy.

As anticipated, you get it, and can artfully articulate same. Thanks for the vicarious journey....

Rifle? Bullet? Roll your own?

#912897 - 11/10/14 11:57 PM Re: The Easy Part - Moose Hunting in Alaska [Re: ]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Looking forward to the final chapter...

#912919 - 11/11/14 11:03 AM Re: The Easy Part - Moose Hunting in Alaska [Re: stonefish]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Wow - simply awesome grocery run Coley. Looking forward to part 3. thumbs

#912942 - 11/11/14 02:22 PM Re: The Easy Part - Moose Hunting in Alaska [Re: ]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
I could probably fill a few pages just trying to recall the events of the rest of that night. Instead I’ll try and wrap this thing up as it has already turned into more of a novel that I had intended.

After a quick conversation with Tim we decided to head back up the hill and deal with my animal first. It was farther from camp, had been down for a bit longer, and was closer to the wolves that were beginning to howl closer than we would have cared to have heard them.

And what a night it was. Clear, cool but not cold, and the northern lights were dancing overheard as vividly as I have ever seen them. Wolves howling somewhere in the blackness and us with a shitton of work to do before we could even think of resting our weary bones.

Back up the hill we went, navigating almost entirely by GPS now through the somewhat featureless landscape and eventually thick bushes and steep slopes. Just getting the machines to my moose through the loose and at times downright dangerous terrain was a mini-epic unto itself. Eventually we made our way back to him and dug in. A moose is a huge animal and even with three people to help hoist legs, cut ribs, and wrestle quarters there is nothing easy about it. The hindquarter of a big bull can easily weight two hundred pounds and it took everything we had left to get this thing cut up, loaded up and back to camp, and then hung. It was 4am by the time we completed those tasks and we were falling down tired, our continued efforts were more liability than help and we had to call it.

We scooted down the hill to dump the guts out of Tim’s moose and prop the cavity open to get it cooling down at least. One upside down 4-wheeler and broken tailbone later we were back at camp yet again and at 430am after 24 hours on the go we hit our sleeping bags and were asleep before we could get them zipped up.

Tim and his moose in the morning

Feeling a lot of pressure to get moose #2 dealt with in a timely manner we managed about three hours of sleep and woke more or less with the sunrise to set in on Tim’s beast. Things went quickly by comparison with the first. A little daylight, food, and a rest were just what we needed to put a little wind back in our sails.

With moose #2 chunked and bagged we started the process of shuttling 1300 pounds of animal and probably that much in gear back to the trailhead, a process that would take us three days of nearly constant effort to complete. To make it through the numerous bogs, swamps, mud holes, and of course the river crossings we had to ferry partial loads ahead and return for the rest. Each time meat had to be hung and tarped and gear secured so bears or other mischievous critters wouldn’t spoil our party. With the exception of a blown Argo tire and a broken idler chain things went fairly smooth over the three laps we did on the 20-mile slog back to the trailhead.

Four days, three dudes, two moose and one of the more memorable adventures I’ve been fortunate to experience. The work of course wasn’t over once back at the trailhead of course, but the hardest hard parts were over and things were far less stressful at least.

Shooting at last light is something generally to be avoided in big game hunting I know. In hindsight neither of us would do it any different though. In moose hunting, especially when working with small windows of opportunity, passing up chances isn’t generally recommended.

Was it worth it? You bet. We’ve got two freezers full of grade A free-range organic protein and some memories that will last a lifetime. The experience didn’t kill us though it tried, so we must be stronger in mind and body for it.

My "shed shed" will have to be renamed as it finally has a complete set.

In closing I want to share something I came across in a old squatters cabin I found while in the woods this fall. It speaks, to me at least, of living your life as fully as you are able and to not dwelling on the past.

Tomorrow is certainly no place to place your better days.

Good luck out there.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#912950 - 11/11/14 03:12 PM Re: The Easy Part - Moose Hunting in Alaska [Re: ColeyG]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Awesome story, Coley...makes me appreciate those meals even more!

My technique of getting moose meat was much, much easier...after an epic and harrowing journey across my living room and having to carry a 30 pound box inside my house...all by myself, I might add...I was treated to some of Coley's moose!

Thanks again, Coley, for the effort and the story...I'll have Jenica read your writeup before we have our next meal out of your moose!

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#912951 - 11/11/14 03:19 PM Re: The Easy Part - Moose Hunting in Alaska [Re: ColeyG]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Damn Coley, that's as good as anything I've read and that's saying a lot as I average a couple of books a week.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#912952 - 11/11/14 03:34 PM Re: The Easy Part - Moose Hunting in Alaska [Re: Jerry Garcia]
GEAR MONGER 2 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Snohomish Co, Wa
I agree!!! Heck of a post...talk about a stack vittles! Thats one heck of a neat argo. They are the chit up there. A buddy picked one up a few years ago for 2500.00, and it was cherry. Im trying to talk him out of it.
You guys earned every steak. Lol. The few times I was able to swing a trip moose hunting we were lucky enough to get the argo, and cushman right up too them. Note to self...never shoot a big animal when they are standing up to their belly in muskeg.
Thanks for the good read!!!!

#912962 - 11/11/14 05:09 PM Re: The Easy Part - Moose Hunting in Alaska [Re: ]
Driftfishnw Offline
Steelhead Hitman

Really nice fronts on your buddies bull...

Thanks for sharing your journey, Coley!

#912980 - 11/11/14 07:23 PM Re: The Easy Part - Moose Hunting in Alaska [Re: Driftfishnw]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Loc: Snohomish
Bravo Coley, bravo.

"Dude...where's your boat!?" Team runaway drift boat prostaff.

Big Stick 2012: "EVERY thought of my being, is in regards to being a Hi-Tech Predator and I relish the role."

#912991 - 11/11/14 10:42 PM Re: The Easy Part - Moose Hunting in Alaska [Re: steeliedrew]
FishRanger Offline
Carcass

Loc: Where ever Dogfish tells me to...
Very nice !!!
Good load of groceries there !!

Decisions are made by those who show up.

"Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect." Ralph Waldo Emerson

#912997 - 11/12/14 12:59 AM Re: The Easy Part - Moose Hunting in Alaska [Re: FishRanger]
Dub Offline
Returning Adult

Great story as usual. Thanks !

#913004 - 11/12/14 11:28 AM Re: The Easy Part - Moose Hunting in Alaska [Re: Dub]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Excellent CG and thanks for sharing adventure.

#913011 - 11/12/14 12:41 PM Re: The Easy Part - Moose Hunting in Alaska [Re: stonefish]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Thanks for sharing your moose hunting adventure Coley. Good read. Something about that moose hunt reminds me of the saying about how firewood warms you 3 or 4 times - the cutting, the splitting, the stacking, the carrying, and finally burning it in the fireplace or stove. You just may have burned more calories getting that moose than you will gain from eating it.

With winter setting in, your story makes me glad that my next steak is no farther away than QFC.

#913112 - 11/13/14 10:56 AM Re: The Easy Part - Moose Hunting in Alaska [Re: Salmo g.]
willametteriveroutlaw Offline
Spawner

Loc: Idaho
I get a lot of pride out of the meat I procure for my family..

Not many family's of mines means get to eat organic grass fed steak 2 or 3 nights a week.

Congrats on earning it.

#913188 - 11/14/14 09:01 AM Re: The Easy Part - Moose Hunting in Alaska [Re: willametteriveroutlaw]
Castingpearls Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: The Rock
This is the most epic hunting story I've ever read. Thanks for taking the time to put this together the way you did. Better than any magazine article out there. Well done and congrats on your success.

#915904 - 12/17/14 09:22 AM Re: The Easy Part - Moose Hunting in Alaska [Re: ColeyG]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
This thread needs a bump. One of the best ever on this board.

CG - I'm curious on the calibers used and the ranges? Would you mind sharing? Again - amazing hunt and congrats!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Brad_tgl, Coho, NewNWSalmon3
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Excitable Bob), 841 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645358 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |