Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#914350 - 11/27/14 03:56 PM New Braided line product review
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

It's been a long while since I've done any work on lines. Was happy to have the opportunity to field test a new line, and surprised with the results.

A braid that behaves itself.

I field tested the new P-Line Teflon Coated Braid. The timing was good as I had been using an uncoated dyneema braid this fall and had issues with rod tip wrap, and of course the inevitable backlash. If it happened to me once during a trip, it would happen to my boat guests half dozen times or more. Between unwinding line off the rod tips, and plucking out knots on the reel, it cost a significant amount of time out of the water. The 'cheap' stuff caused frustration, and it cost lost opportunities to catch more fish. Guess how I feel now about the bargain stuff? Or just let me tell you how I feel about this new braid...it's awesome!

***Stand out characteristics highlighted with asterisks***

Out of the Box
My 50lb line was the diameter of most 8lb mono. The line itself was a very tight woven, round line. Now that I know how much trouble a dead limp line causes I was happy to see it had some body to it. The teflon coating is readily apparent when you run the line through you fingers. I spooled my Curado 201E7 reel, and rigged up to float fish eggs. A second rod was set up for a novice angler to use for casting spinners.
I could tell it would be easy to work with as far as knots went. No special treatment needed.

On the Water
I expected the last 8 to 10 feet to lose some coating because adjusting a slip knot and bobber is hard on a line. I've had other braids turn me off due to how their coats flaked off. Not so with this line. I actually think a little bit of break in helped keep my slip knot in place. The weave remained pretty tight. Color retention was excellent.

***Casting; I wasn't thinking this line would make any difference in casting distance. It does. And being able to get a delicate bait out a little farther without ripping it off the hook (like salmon eggs) really helps. Duh, it's coated with Teflon.

***Noise? With some braids there's a weird zzZZzzZZzz sound that comes off the guides when the line is being reeled in under tension. With P Line TCB I didn't hear a thing. I don't know about other people but the sound of braid cutting across my guides makes my skin crawl.

***Rod tip wrap: after so far 16 hours of casting I've not had to unwind a rod tip wrap once. It might not seem like such a big deal but if I have each of three rods out of the water for 5 minutes each hour to deal with line wrap, and we fish for 4 hours, that's a whole hour of fishing missed. During a good bite that's the difference between a good day, and limits of salmon.

***Backlash: very minimal, especially compared with the very limp braids I had been using this Fall. This issue is the bane of my existence when I have new people in the boat. I had a first time bait caster in the boat and though she managed to back lash my reel, it was an easy line to pick loose and get back to fishing. And for me? Don't recall seeing more then an occasional small loop of line.

***Strength for diameter: Could a line be too strong? With a 20 lb P Line CXX leader, and 50 lb P Line TCB braid, I almost managed to take down a 20 ft tall dead piece of standing timber. I wasn't use to how far the line would cast and put my bobber right into that tree. A 4/0 Gammy Hook will easily straighten out before either the leader or braid would break.
Anything that keeps my gear in the water is going to get a recommend rating from me. All the strength you expect from a braid without the fear that each cast might bring disaster. And you'll do your casual fishing friends a favor as well and cut down their frustration levels by spooling up.
Tight lines. Vhawk

#914353 - 11/27/14 04:50 PM Re: New Braided line product review [Re: VHawk.]
Piper
Unregistered

thanks for the review... let us know if you have cold weather performance data wink

#914363 - 11/27/14 08:37 PM Re: New Braided line product review [Re: ]
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
Vince, not that interested in braid but it's great to see you posting again.

BTW, how's teflon affect knot type or strength?
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#914366 - 11/27/14 09:48 PM Re: New Braided line product review [Re: Mooch]
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

No adjustment needed on the knots. It's not like the early first generation braids which could be crazy hard to keep the knots from slipping.

And thanks Mooch. I'm sure I'll be doing more monofilament tests again at some point.

#914409 - 11/28/14 11:18 AM Re: New Braided line product review [Re: VHawk.]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
VHawk:

I agree with Mooch.....nice to see you posting again.

I went to the P-Line wed site.......no Hi-Vis in the new Teflon line but I like the other features....

How well does it "float"?????/

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#914432 - 11/28/14 03:41 PM Re: New Braided line product review [Re: DrifterWA]
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
Bang! Just like that.

Back w/ a line review? it's pure undistilled Vhawk.

c/22

#915206 - 12/05/14 01:35 PM Re: New Braided line product review [Re: chrome/22]
steelhead_stalkers Offline
Returning Adult

How well does it float on the water? Would it be a good float fishing line? To bad its that moss green.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Brad_tgl, Coho, NewNWSalmon3
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Excitable Bob), 813 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645358 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |