THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#914423 - 11/28/14 03:03 PM What's agood day fishing?
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Similar thread to one on the hunting side. What do you consider to a "good" day fishing? Is it dead fish in the boat, sixteen sixpacks drained, seeing sunrise over Buoy Zooey?

#914427 - 11/28/14 03:27 PM Re: What's agood day fishing? [Re: Carcassman]
RB3 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Seeing less than 3 people, 0 birdsnest, and at least one bite.

#914431 - 11/28/14 03:40 PM Re: What's agood day fishing? [Re: RB3]
Twitch Offline
The Beav

Loc: Oregon Central Coast
No swimming, no rowing out to the takeout in the dark, no fresh sweepers, shuttled vehicle waiting at take out with all windows intact.

#914434 - 11/28/14 03:44 PM Re: What's agood day fishing? [Re: Twitch]
Brad_tgl Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
Avoiding the herd, getting a few cracks at some fish... yep that's about it.

#914436 - 11/28/14 03:53 PM Re: What's agood day fishing? [Re: Brad_tgl]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
Ill add: enjoying some solitude, having a few chances at your quarry, spending time with friends or by yourself, whatever you were looking for there. getting some great exercise doing what you love.

#914437 - 11/28/14 04:01 PM Re: What's agood day fishing? [Re: Sky-Guy]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
1. Fishing is a competition
2. Score is kept by how much fun you are having
3. Fish to win
4. Not only can there be multiple winners, there should be.
5. If your fun depends on someone else having less fun, then you lose automatically.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#914440 - 11/28/14 04:40 PM Re: What's agood day fishing? [Re: Todd]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Good question Carcassman.

Interesting you post this thread as this has been on my mind a lot lately……one of those mid-life contemplation things. Years ago, it was pretty important to land fish, fill a fish box, etc….Now, not so much, if at all. I still catch my share, more than I need actually so that's not the driver at this point.

Solitude.

I don't need solitude, I require it. When I find it, whether by bank or boat, my day is made. The fish are a bonus. The profession I'm in seems to get more stressful by the year and finding that solitude on a favorite little piece of water keeps me sane.

What's been troubling me lately, and others I'm sure, is I am suddenly locked out of a bunch of water I've held near and dear because of timber companies going to a permit/pay-to-play concept. Many, but not all, of my most treasured solitude spots are now off limits which hits hard, especially during the winter season. It's these places that help me have "a good day of fishing" and I worry some how I am going to still find the fun in more crowded scenarios. I've already quit fishing some water since the masses have migrated to the coast. It's going to take an attitude adjustment I suppose. Some guys roll with the crowds easily. Me, not so much. Nothing worse than being boat #35 in a fleet of 60.

#914441 - 11/28/14 04:44 PM Re: What's agood day fishing? [Re: Twitch]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: Twitch
No swimming, no rowing out to the takeout in the dark, no fresh sweepers, shuttled vehicle waiting at take out with all windows intact.

These are good ones ^^^

Get the basics covered first, then everything else is gravy.

#914444 - 11/28/14 04:57 PM Re: What's agood day fishing? [Re: Direct-Drive]
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
At my age just getting home alive is the good of the day.

fp

#914446 - 11/28/14 05:00 PM Re: What's agood day fishing? [Re: Direct-Drive]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

My favorite fishing is stream fishing for trout. Some people around are ok, if they share well. I want to encounter fish; rises to the fly, maybe a swipe at the hardware. I "need" to have some interaction with the fish so a day simply flogging the water isn't it.

I like to fish for feeding fish. Find their lie and tempt them. So, random casting, drowning a worm under a bobber is not my fun.

An interesting observation from back in the early 80s when PS was closed to Chinook for allocation. Hardly anybody fished because it was "closed". All that was closed was killing Chinook. Chinook C&R was open, coho retention was open. The mindset was interesting.

Sometimes, the most fun is simply catching something. Fished a small creek in Queensland. Had no idea what was there. I had seen some rainbow fish and Archerfish, but really didn't know what was there. And there (apparently) were crocs. I managed to land a 4.5" jungle perch, on an elk-hair caddis. Great day. And the snake I flushed into the creek didn't bite me.

#914469 - 11/28/14 11:13 PM Re: What's agood day fishing? [Re: Carcassman]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Agreeable water and weather conditions and that sense that the day offers a chance for fish, whether I actually hook up or not. Having no broken windows when I get back to my car does help top off the day.

Sg

#914480 - 11/29/14 01:44 AM Re: What's agood day fishing? [Re: Salmo g.]
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
Taking my lil buddy

#914482 - 11/29/14 09:50 AM Re: What's agood day fishing? [Re: Coho]
stonefish Online   content
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Any day that I'm on the water and not working.

#914483 - 11/29/14 10:40 AM Re: What's agood day fishing? [Re: Carcassman]
big moby Offline
Carcass

Loc: varies
Just being able to get out is a good day. It is also nice to find some solitude as well

#914490 - 11/29/14 01:54 PM Re: What's agood day fishing? [Re: big moby]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

So than making WA entirely C&R for all fish would be acceptable?

#914492 - 11/29/14 02:45 PM Re: What's agood day fishing? [Re: Carcassman]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Certainly not preferable. I fish for trout and steelhead for fun, and it doesn't matter if I never eat another one. I fish for salmon partly for fun and partly because I really, really like to eat salmon. And snob that I am, I only fish for salmon that I'm partial to eating. If salmon fishing went CNR, I probably wouldn't do much salmon fishing.

Sg

#914497 - 11/29/14 03:39 PM Re: What's agood day fishing? [Re: Carcassman]
RB3 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
So than making WA entirely C&R for all fish would be acceptable?

My standard differs from my wife's standard.

#914498 - 11/29/14 03:42 PM Re: What's agood day fishing? [Re: Carcassman]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

This thread is proof positive that when it comes to a GOOD day of fishing, everything is relative. It depends on your situation and managing expectations.

For the guy swamped in the workplace where he/she is imprisoned for most of the day, just getting out... fish or no fish... is good enough.

Those who have the luxury to prioritize more time on the water probably have higher expectations.

Seeking solitude is a great goal, and for some, very therapeutic. It lends itself more to discovering relatively remote smaller intimate settings that take a little more effort to find/access. The solitude is the reward for that extra effort. As the population grows and landowners limit/prohibit access here in the PNW, that kind of solitude will become more difficult to find/maintain.

The problem with "solitude" is the almost irrepressible human urge to share something good with someone else. When you find that great fishing spot, you are almost immediately presented with a deep internal conflict. Do you selfishly horde it to yourself, or do you take a buddy along the next time? Before long, it's not just your buddy, but his buddy, and his buddy's buddy, and so on. Not saying it's good or bad... just that it happens.

I think we've all been at both ends of this scenario... either the generous guy taking the risk in sharing his 'solitude', or the lucky guy who gets the coveted invite to tag along to discover "new" water.

As the owner of a large boat, I ain't goin' nowhere that ain't already been discovered. Even if mine is only one of a handful of boats (or even the only one) in a certain location, fishing from a big sled loaded with a crew of 5-8 can hardly be construed as solitude. At this particular stage in my fishing career, solitude usually takes a back seat. I've caught enough fish over the decades that it's way more important to me to pass the torch and share with others. I get as much if not more satisfaction putting my guests on the fish as I do catching them myself, esp young people. Budding fisher folks are very impressionable, and this is the best way to imprint my personal brand/style of angling technique and conservation ethic to the next generation.

Without recruiting some new blood into the sport, it will surely die.

So back to what constitutes a GOOD day of fishing in my boat. It starts with good people. Life's way too short to surround yourself with a$$ho!es, esp within the limited confines of a boat. Since I do all the inviting, I guess that one's all on me. Suffice it to say that good people generally get invited back.

Since all recreational opportunity starts with a bite, the first prerequisite at our chosen destination is a sufficient pool of willing biters. Preferably enough to make every rod in the boat bend at least once during the fishing day.

Filling the box with a boat limit is nice, but NOT necessary. And while it's nice to responsibly catch enough keepers to send everyone home with a little something for their table, I got no problems catchin' and releasin' all day either. By god it's SPORT fishing after all... with a greater emphasis on catching them, not necessarily killing them. If it's really all about the meat, may as well go to Safeway or QFC.

Add in a bit of sunshine, good tunes, good eats, and good beer ... well that's just the whipped cream with the cherry on top.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#914505 - 11/29/14 05:24 PM Re: What's agood day fishing? [Re: eyeFISH]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Excellent summary there Doc.

After letting the question roll around for a while, I think I boiled the pool of thoughts down to a few essential elements.

1. Saw something beautiful.
2. Didnt lose anything that can't be replaced (life, friends, things with sentimental value, etc.)
3. Spent zero time in the company of a$$holes.

The rest is gravy.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#914509 - 11/29/14 05:42 PM Re: What's agood day fishing? [Re: ColeyG]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Agreed.... esp #2. My brother recently survived a mishap that drove that message home with a sharp point.

In my long-windedness, I forgot about that all-important "getting everyone home safe" part. We all want to be around to do it again!

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (stonefish, steely slammer), 1056 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645297 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |