LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#915626 - 12/15/14 02:35 PM Another failed Bank fishing attempt...
yellowsevenpot Offline
Fry

Went down to the Snake this weekend, and spent two days being skunked. Mostly float fishing Shrimp and roe-bags near Chief Timothy State Park, and then near Asotin.

I am now thinking about slowingg down on fishing through the rest of the winter and focusing my attention on saving money to buy a boat.

What are the minimum recommendations for size / power for the Snake & Columbia (Tri-cities north)?

My profession doesn't leave me with much after cost of living so I will need to consider the least expensive options.

As always, any and all help is appreciated.

- Sean O.

P.S. My only boating experience is on inland reservoirs.

#915631 - 12/15/14 03:18 PM Re: Another failed Bank fishing attempt... [Re: yellowsevenpot]
Swifty27 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tri-Cities, WA
The Snake/Columbia north of the Tri-Cities is basically an inland reservoir.

I started off with a small drift boat and had an electric motor. That will work for the dam forebays. I've seen guys fish the Reach in the fall with a gas kicker on a drift boat (I tried and failed). It's less than ideal for the Snake and Columbia, but it gives you the option of drifting the Ronde if you want some flexibility.

Otherwise, something like a 15ft Alaskan with a 25hp motor will get you going about anywhere. You could fish with less, but having a top speed over 20mph is nice covering ground. Aluminum is preferred for beaching on the rocks or primitive launches.

The potential for big water will coincide with the wind and long stretches for the waves to build, wind against current, or fishing below Wanapum.

Something like this would treat you well (if the condition is satisfactory): http://kpr.craigslist.org/boa/4799388011.html

Boats are like cars, you know best what you should get.

For reference, I have a 16ft 70's era starcraft with a 60hp tiller.

#915635 - 12/15/14 03:31 PM Re: Another failed Bank fishing attempt... [Re: Swifty27]
wntrrn Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Edmonds
Not trying to rain on your parade but I don't know anyone who became a better steelhead fisherman by buying a boat. I know you have some pretty big water where a boat helps, but having a boat doesn't necessarily put more fish in the box if that's what you're counting on.

Just a thought.

#915636 - 12/15/14 03:32 PM Re: Another failed Bank fishing attempt... [Re: wntrrn]
wntrrn Offline
River Nutrients

A single guided trip where you explain to the guide what your goals are would go a lot farther in your development than splurging on a boat.

#915640 - 12/15/14 03:49 PM Re: Another failed Bank fishing attempt... [Re: wntrrn]
yellowsevenpot Offline
Fry

Not counting on more fish being caught simply through buying a boat. However, bank access is limited at my local lakes, I could cover much more water when hitting the CR and Snake,and I simply miss having one.

I am thinking about using my current frustration with fishing as a positive to stay in town and devote some time to other hobbies of mine: shooting and rock climbing; all the while saving cash that would have been spent on weekends away.

I also plan on taking two or three guided days this spring, so having a boat purchased around that time seems like a win win.

Thank you for your input!

- Sean O.

#915641 - 12/15/14 03:58 PM Re: Another failed Bank fishing attempt... [Re: yellowsevenpot]
Swifty27 Offline
Returning Adult

Spring is for Springers. Summer is for Sockeye and Summer Chinook. Fall is fall Chinook. Late Fall and Winter is Steelhead.

Unfortunately, all fished differently in different locations (roughly). Pick your guided trip to match what you want to fish the most to start.

#915650 - 12/15/14 04:52 PM Re: Another failed Bank fishing attempt... [Re: wntrrn]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Originally Posted By: wntrrn
Not trying to rain on your parade but I don't know anyone who became a better steelhead fisherman by buying a boat. I know you have some pretty big water where a boat helps, but having a boat doesn't necessarily put more fish in the box if that's what you're counting on.

Just a thought.

WOW....sounds like a non-boat person. Where I fish, boat means cover more water, more chance for fish.....been a bankie, been a driftboat owner, now have sled........while I still bank fish for summer run, the vast majority of my fishing is from my sled......winter run, salmon, and spring chinook.

I'd vote boat !!!!!!!!!

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#915652 - 12/15/14 05:22 PM Re: Another failed Bank fishing attempt... [Re: DrifterWA]
Swifty27 Offline
Returning Adult

Forgot to mention, you can fish the forebays in your canoe. I haven't seen it done, but they're just big lakes. I can give you details on McNary or Ice Harbor if you ever come down this far. Just shoot me a pm.

#915681 - 12/15/14 07:59 PM Re: Another failed Bank fishing attempt... [Re: DrifterWA]
wntrrn Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: DrifterWA
Originally Posted By: wntrrn

Just a thought.

WOW....sounds like a non-boat person. Where I fish, boat means cover more water, more chance for fish.....been a bankie, been a driftboat owner, now have sled........while I still bank fish for summer run, the vast majority of my fishing is from my sled......winter run, salmon, and spring chinook.

I'd vote boat !!!!!!!!!

Happy boater here. But, having one didn't magically put more fish in the box.

#915693 - 12/15/14 09:10 PM Re: Another failed Bank fishing attempt... [Re: wntrrn]
eugene1 Offline
Spawner

Loc: out there...
I say buy a boat.

I fished from shore but not much since it wasn't very convenient.

Got a cheap starter boat and started fishing lots more, also catching lots more (probably due to fishing more?). Later bought a better boat and fishing even more, also catching more. You can see the trend!

Good luck,

#915701 - 12/15/14 09:59 PM Re: Another failed Bank fishing attempt... [Re: eugene1]
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: right place/wrong time
I didn't realize that you could fish without a boat.

Now that I hear that it has been done I must say that it sure doesn't sound like much fun.

"So it goes." Kurt Vonnegut jr.

#915789 - 12/16/14 12:06 PM Re: Another failed Bank fishing attempt... [Re: blackmouth]
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
I just returned from there yesterday. From Hellers to Asotin you have about 30 miles of bank access, and there are plenty that venture out with success. Then you have Clearwater with just as much access. Yes we had a boat, but if I didn't that would not stop me because we saw many fishing the banks with bent poles. Stock away $ and fish. There is a good run this year I would not forego the opportunity.

#915822 - 12/16/14 02:13 PM Re: Another failed Bank fishing attempt... [Re: Coho]
Audball Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Renton, WA
I've caught dozens of steelhead from the bank on the Clearwater especially, but also on the Snake. If they're not hitting jigs, try tossing a 2/5 oz. tear drop shaped spoon straight out, let it sink til it hits the bottom, give it a twitch, and "fly it down and in"...... and hold on!

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1114 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |