Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#915509 - 12/14/14 01:19 PM puerta vallarta info
spoon man Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: oly
Hey guys I'm heading to puerta vallarta for 6 days this coming week and have looked into a few fishing trip but I wanted to see if any of you have been and if you have any suggestions or tips for me?

Thanks in advance!

#915541 - 12/14/14 04:45 PM Re: puerta vallarta info [Re: spoon man]
supcoop Offline
Lady Killer Deluxe

Loc: Kirkland
Others may have suggestions for who to use of you want to chase big stuff. I chartered a panga and stayed in the bay for small stuff. Fun but wouldn't do it again. Using broomsticks for 5 lb fish isn't awesome. The dinner after the trip with the group of girls my buddies and i met and my catch of the day... that was awesome!

#915545 - 12/14/14 05:11 PM Re: puerta vallarta info [Re: supcoop]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
I cannot really recomme P.V. It is a relatively long run to Bluewater and often times offers only mediocre fishing once you arrive.

#915547 - 12/14/14 05:34 PM Re: puerta vallarta info [Re: Dave Vedder]
RB3 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Don't get mannapped

#915583 - 12/14/14 10:33 PM Re: puerta vallarta info [Re: RB3]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I did the panga thing. Brought a salmon rod and that worked well for bonito.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#915593 - 12/14/14 11:47 PM Re: puerta vallarta info [Re: Dogfish]
spoon man Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Looked into the panga thing and seems like that will do just fine for me. I'm bringing a couple rods and plenty of lures and live bait gear. Looked into near shore fishing also and there is plenty of options. Thanks for the info! Hope to have some pics to share when I get back.

#915601 - 12/15/14 01:11 AM Re: puerta vallarta info [Re: spoon man]
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
Don't troll your worm on the gay pier.

#915607 - 12/15/14 09:09 AM Re: puerta vallarta info [Re: Steelheadman]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
When the tide rolls in you can catch all sorts of fish wading from the beach, caught dinner there several times.

Did the panga thing and was not very impressed with it.

Enjoy and let us know how and what you do.

Fishy

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

#915612 - 12/15/14 12:00 PM Re: puerta vallarta info [Re: Somethingsmellsf]
spoon man Offline
Juvenile at Sea

To steelhead man and rb3, not sure I want to hear about your rainbow filled experiences but thanks for the advice! I have heard good and bad on the near shore Panga trips and I'm giving it a shot.

#915654 - 12/15/14 05:34 PM Re: puerta vallarta info [Re: spoon man]
Mingo Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kona, Hawaii
I've done well from shore near PV on jacks, big houndfish and mackerel on fly and lures. Keep your expectations low and you'll have fun.

#915658 - 12/15/14 05:45 PM Re: puerta vallarta info [Re: Mingo]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
I would echo what Dave and others said and keep your expectations low if wanting to fish in and around PV.

The best bet in that part of the world to get your fishing fix would be to day trip up to Sayulita, which is a really cool little village up on the coast, and get set up to go out on a panga from that port. It's an actual fishing/surfing village so you shouldn't have any issue finding someone to take you out for a few bucks.
I spent a week there once and It's a great little spot to shop, fish, eat, drink, and soak up some rays.

#916598 - 12/23/14 08:01 PM Re: puerta vallarta info [Re: spoon man]
spoon man Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Well I had a great time in PV! I did the panga thing and it was great, fished the north end of the bay and caught way too many to count bonitos and 5 of yellow tail(fish in the pic). The panga trip was a all day trip for $200 bucks for the boat, gear wasn't the best but it worked. Took one of my iron rods and caught 2 very small barracudas that the captain was very suprised about! All in all a great time! Hope my next trip will be for roosters.

Thanks again for all your input!

#916601 - 12/23/14 08:25 PM Re: puerta vallarta info [Re: spoon man]
RB3 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Nice, you're not missing anything here.

#916612 - 12/23/14 09:51 PM Re: puerta vallarta info [Re: spoon man]
Blktailhunter Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: spoon man

Well I had a great time in PV! I did the panga thing and it was great, fished the north end of the bay and caught way too many to count bonitos and 5 of yellow tail(fish in the pic). The panga trip was a all day trip for $200 bucks for the boat, gear wasn't the best but it worked. Took one of my iron rods and caught 2 very small barracudas that the captain was very suprised about! All in all a great time! Hope my next trip will be for roosters.

Thanks again for all your input!

Doesn't look like any Yellowtail I have ever caught. Pretty sure that's a pacific jack crevalle you are holding. Hope your guide wasn't pawning that off as a yellowtail.

#916619 - 12/23/14 11:05 PM Re: puerta vallarta info [Re: spoon man]
spoon man Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Sorry you are correct, that is definitely a jack. I did get lucky and get a yellowtail as well and then 5 of the jacks. Have more pics to post soon!

#916670 - 12/24/14 02:25 PM Re: puerta vallarta info [Re: spoon man]
billthefixerupper Offline
Egg

I've got a house in San Pancho about 30 miles up the beach (just getting ready to start my annual drive down there in a few days) and here's the scoop: If you want to go for a real fishing trip try Banderas Bay Charters http://www.banderasbaycharters.com/ This is a charter fleet run by a couple of Canadian guys, nice equipment, nice crews etc etc. They also run Gecko rent a car in Bucerias, really good people.

If you want to go to Sayulita then see the guy at Captain Pablo's. http://www.captainpablo.com/ He's an american guy that runs a beachside restaurant and has a fleet of Pangas with top notch Mexican skippers. The equipment is so so but you will have a good day.

If you go a little further north to my village you can go out with Pando. https://m2.facebook.com/profile.php?v=ti...552876611431625 He's the local pro with the panga. Everybody else in the village is pretty much in the subsistance fisherman category. This guy is good and will work his ass off for you.

The first guys (Banderas Bay) are probably the only ones that will get you into really deep water and over true trophy fish. BTW watch the sun very carefully, it will burn you really really badly.

#916673 - 12/24/14 03:18 PM Re: puerta vallarta info [Re: spoon man]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Good work! I think jacks are waaaaay underrated. They pull like a chum on steroids. Glad you had fun.

#916674 - 12/24/14 03:44 PM Re: puerta vallarta info [Re: spoon man]
bk paige Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: On the Sky
Captain Pablo is a good guy from Oregon, I spent some time in Sayulita fun times!! Did the panga thing with cap pablo's head guide a couple days, teaching him how to bait an switch big hookless plugs to flies. Was. slow but managed to pull out some roosters and jacks!!

#916773 - 12/26/14 07:43 PM Re: puerta vallarta info [Re: spoon man]
billthefixerupper Offline
Egg

Yeah Captain Pablo (Paul) lives on a houseboat in the Willamette near Portland. Helluva nice guy. He's got great skippers. I went out one day and we got 7 Dorado (Mahi Mahi), his skipper had palm fronds anchored out in the ocean in the middle of nowhere that the fish were laying under. I guess it was the only patch of shade anywhere around so it would cause fish to gather. We consistently could pick two to three nice fish out from under each palm frond. Just how in the heck the skipper could find these things in the middle of the ocean with no instruments, not even a compass or a depthfinder is beyond me, but we were well beyond the sight of land and he could find the anchored bleach bottle consistently. Good day, good experience, wonderful fishing!

#916787 - 12/27/14 08:32 AM Re: puerta vallarta info [Re: spoon man]
spoon man Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I want to start planning another trip here soon. I have caught plenty of dorado, sail fish, and a couple small marlin as well, one fish I would love to go after is roosters! Been reading a lot on them and trying to learn as much as I can. I am excited for the day to come for me to go after them, hopefully in the next couple years! Anyone here target them much?

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chromeo, Colluvium, lat59, m wilson, phishkellar, TBJ
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (wolverine), 1059 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645360 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |