THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 21 of 25 < 1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#915627 - 12/15/14 02:37 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: Salmo g.]
Salmo g. Online   content
River Nutrients

Reefskunk,

Hey now, it's not that I didn't appreciate your offer. I just don't expect you to understand how the mind of some fly guys works. Maybe an analogy will help. Since bonefish are a suitable fly rod fish species, catching one on octopus and a few ounces of lead is no more satisfying or rewarding than catching a steelhead in a gillnet. Flyfishing for bonefish isn't a disadvantage if you don't want to catch one on bait.

Uh, thanks for the updated offer, I think. I thought I was going to have more time to fish, but a week goes by quickly, and the family had a lot of other plans. It's hard to get much fishing time in because we don't go to Hawaii to fish. It's just another activity to try to fit into the schedule.

Sg

#915858 - 12/16/14 04:46 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: Salmo g.]
Mingo Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kona, Hawaii
Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
Sam,

The guide is Capt. Jon Jon, and his website is localfishingknowledge.com. He's a lifelong Maui resident, son of a commercial fisherman, and he seems to know his stuff. His phone number is 808-385-1337. He takes reservations months in advance. We were only able to get the half day we did because one of his clients who is in Maui for 2-3 months at a time was willing to re-schedule.

Like Coley posted, patterns of mantis shrimp are preferred. The guide ties and uses some pretty simple and crude patterns, and he went gah-gah over the flies I brought. The favorite was a pinkish-dark tan color, size 4. I didn't get a month by month color description unfortunately. Rubber legs on the mantis are good.

Incoming tide is what we fished, but Jon Jon intoned that if you know where to look, you can also fish outgoing. The fishing was a bit physically demanding, especially when we started getting knocked around by the waves. Make the longest cast you can along a channel or structure line, then fan your casts. Let the fly sink. Then make "pronounced" strips, up to 3', fast. These shrimp apparently haul ass when they know a fish is around. There are a couple other flats species that you might encounter besides bonefish, but I don't remember the names. This was a lot harder than any PS beach fishing I've done and most steelheading too, for that matter. So many casts even my arm hurt after 4 hours.

The good beaches are scattered. A good place to begin is in Kehei. Drive down to the road closest to the beach. There is public access every 500 feet, or maybe it's every 500 yards. Anyway, that's how you get to the beach unless you're already staying there. Hike N and S looking for any changes that equate to struture, which are travel routes that bones are attuned to according to Jon Jon. You may see 1 or 2 other fly fishermen, which probably means Jon Jon and a client are fishing the area or maybe some other tourist.

Good luck!Sg

What SG and Coley said. Here's an excellent mantis shrimp pattern for Hawaii, Coach Duff's Spam & Eggs. This is a really crappy pic, but you get the point. I sometimes will use a 9 wt or even a light 10 wt when I'm after bones in Hawaii. You always have a chance to hook a bluefin trevally. Even a GT is a possibility along with cuda, but those usually only hit BIG baitfish patterns and poppers. But using the mantis shrimp type flies like Tim Borski's slider can also attract nice goatfish and the other crazy psychedelics you've seen me post up.

Reef Skunk, I'll fish with you any time braddah. I'll bring the green bottle and fling flies and lures while you soak tako and ika and slide a big manini down fo' dat big ulua. smile

Attachments
IMG-20141216-00246.jpg

#916025 - 12/17/14 08:50 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Put the mountain of yarn aside for a brief bit this evening and tried to revisit this whole married wing thing.

Wound up with a fly but not super happy with it.

Throat is too long, tippet too short, head too fat, and ugly body hackle. Couldn't keep the wing from folding up on itself at the head and it is too short as well. The whole fly came up short of the eye by quite a bit, or rather I made it so.

Good practice. I'll be hacking it off the hook shortly. Need more materials, surely that is my problem...

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#916049 - 12/18/14 08:30 AM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
River Nutrients

OK Coley, so maybe that one isn't "high art," but stick it in your box. It'll fish.

For a guy who ties yarn balls, you're doing quite well in the salmon fly department.

#916055 - 12/18/14 10:37 AM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
Mingo Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: SRoffe
So, I'm in the process of tying up some tropical flies. I think I may bring some of my cut throat patterns too, but, here is my latest ties from last night.

[/URL][/img]

Not sure I like the green with the pink. I'll change that up. But, I bet the fish don't care much.

Those little charlie-type patterns will all fish over there and will attract all kinds of reef exotics. Pinch your barbs, when the exotics are hungry they'll suck those down like candy. Just keep a steady quick strip and always toss your fly into the foamy opaque water of incoming waves. The fish are waiting for tidbits to be washed in. Lots of stuff will hit those including goatfish like this moana....

Also, to answer your question, your cutthroat patterns will work too. Trevally will eat all kinds of them smile

Attachments
IMG-20140902-00164 - Copy (32) - Copy.jpg

zzz.jpg

ZZ.jpg

Edited by Mingo (12/18/14 11:25 AM)

#916106 - 12/18/14 04:30 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
stonefish Online   content
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Originally Posted By: ColeyG
Put the mountain of yarn aside for a brief bit this evening and tried to revisit this whole married wing thing.

Wound up with a fly but not super happy with it.

Throat is too long, tippet too short, head too fat, and ugly body hackle. Couldn't keep the wing from folding up on itself at the head and it is too short as well. The whole fly came up short of the eye by quite a bit, or rather I made it so.

Good practice. I'll be hacking it off the hook shortly. Need more materials, surely that is my problem...

Looks great in my uneducated eyes to detail Coley.
I scored it a 10.

Mingo,
Love the blue fins on those trevally.
SF

#916123 - 12/18/14 06:02 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

Got to catch up here:

SF. That sculpin patern looks good. Brad will be mad at me for not making a Waters West run on the way home from Forks today. I was like the few fish around that just wanted to get home.

bantam: nice patterns there.

Mingo: what weight fly rod do you use for those reef fish?

#916151 - 12/19/14 10:47 AM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: SRoffe]
Mingo Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: SRoffe

Mingo: what weight fly rod do you use for those reef fish?

I use everything from a 7' 1wt rod to a 10' 4 wt for reef exotics. A good standard rod would be a 9 foot 5 wt for reef fish, but anything from a 3 wt to a 7 wt will work just fine. I fish a lot of rocky areas where a stouter rod helps, because most of the fish you will hook WILL dive into small caves and under ledges if given the chance, so you have to muscle them up to the surface quickly.

#916154 - 12/19/14 11:46 AM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Built two more sets of wings this morning. I cant get golden pheasant to marry with anything. Strange as it seems to be called for in a lot of traditional patterns.

Got a little bit of straightening and length adjusting to do on them before they will go on a fly.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#916214 - 12/20/14 11:57 AM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Steam them eh. Stick em together while they are still wet then? Does steaming help straighten bent or curved barbs as well? Some of the turkey I've got is less than straight which makes it hard to work with.

I successfully ruined both sets of wings trying to put them on a hook yesterday. Lame.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#916224 - 12/20/14 01:14 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
River Nutrients

I'm not sure how it would work on feather wing material, but I've put the desired curves in golden pheasant crests for tails and toppings by soaking them in warm water for a few hours and then draping them over a glass or whatever has the desired shape until they dry. Might work?

#916257 - 12/20/14 09:24 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
King of the Beach

I've been trying to come up with a good marine worm pattern tied on a tube.
I tied these up today. I tied them on silicone tubing rather then hard tubes so they will wiggle and give some movement in the current.
SF

#916264 - 12/20/14 10:23 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

I like the sounds of that SF. Where did you get that tubing? I know I have some around that might work I have use for my fixed float.

#916268 - 12/20/14 10:38 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
King of the Beach

Sam,
I got the tubing at Sportco. I bet OE carries it as well.
It is 1/16 diameter.

I inserted a small piece of 1/16 diameter hard tubing into each end. That allows me to add a junction tube to the tail and burn the front tube to keep the bead or cone in place like what you would on a Shock & Awe.
Here is what it looks like before tying it with the junction tubing added as an example.

SF

#916296 - 12/21/14 12:16 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

Yup, that's what I bought at OE. You rigged it up just the way I imagined. Feeble minds, eh?

#916299 - 12/21/14 12:46 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

If you have any friends that work at hospitals, have them keep an eye out for tubing of your preferred size. Quite often they throw out batches of brand new things like nasal canulas, IV drip kits, etc. I've got yards of the stuff that my wife salvaged from the hospital she works at.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#916314 - 12/21/14 03:02 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
King of the Beach

Good suggestion Coley.

Here are a few bunny & polar chenille worms tied on tubes.

#916470 - 12/22/14 03:36 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Nice. Rainbows would eat those with reckless abandon up this way. The bottom two look a lot like some of the super simple flesh flies I like to swing in the fall. The chenille adds a nice sparkly element.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#917943 - 01/05/15 08:13 PM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
King of the Beach

Playing around with some smelt patterns.
This one is UV polar chenille on a tube.
A dry and wet pic.

#917986 - 01/06/15 11:16 AM Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) [Re: ColeyG]
River Nutrients

Looks fishy!

Page 21 of 25 < 1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 1080 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |