Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#91824 - 06/11/00 12:06 PM Re: Catching Big carp
Leah Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Washington
Schitzo , these carp are over in Othello at Long Lake out in the seep lakes.
The Canal comes off the pot holes res. and goes into another lake ( "Soda" )before the Canal then runs into Long Lake.
The carp are all over the Lake , but mostly stay in the inlet where the Canal runs into it.
I highly recommend this lake for Carp fishing.
I personally prefer the Big Trout in it though.

I was over there 3 weeks ago and those darn carp were jumping all over the place next to my boat.
Took a break for lunch and walked back to my truck and camper and about died when I saw a rattler going under my truck.

#91825 - 06/11/00 11:03 PM Re: Catching Big carp
Big Jim Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, Wa. USA
The best bait for Carp or suckers when they won't take other stuff is Periwinkles. If you want to have a total kick, hook up a periwinkle on just a hook and light line. No weight. A long rod helps to cast. Flip that bad boy out there and just watch. As the carp sucks it in HANG ON. I do this for suckers when I get real bored. It works great on carp too.

------------------
Just because I look big, dumb, and ugly, doesn't mean I am. It means I can stomp you for calling me it!

#91826 - 06/12/00 12:02 PM Re: Catching Big carp
Leah Offline
Eyed Egg

In the shell or do you remove the Periwinkle out of his lil' shell ?
I'd need about 10 peri's on my hook to latch on to one of these Monster 20 pound Carp.
I have never used this for bait for Carp .
trout yes !

#91827 - 06/12/00 04:19 PM Re: Catching Big carp
Big Jim Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, Wa. USA
I would use only one. You said that the carp were slurping bugs, so they are looking at natural small size food. I would also try out of shell first, then in shell. Another thing you might try is a spin off of stlhdr1's post. Take a worm and inflate it with air. Then tread the whole thing on your line and toss it out. Use no weight again so it stays on top. Good luck, I'm heading up to the Yakima this weekend. They have a bunch of BIG suckers there.

------------------
Just because I look big, dumb, and ugly, doesn't mean I am. It means I can stomp you for calling me it!

#91828 - 06/14/00 06:06 PM Re: Catching Big carp
Leah Offline
Eyed Egg

I'll have to locate some periwinkles and give it a try.

These Carp only seem to like bugs on the water surface though.

I may get a fly rod and try that too.

#91829 - 06/14/00 09:46 PM Re: Catching Big carp
elmtree Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: spanaway,wash, 98387us
i use to go over to o'sullivan an fish the potholes just south. had lots of rubber lips.
we use potatoe chips all munchedup to attract them over to where we were and then throw out worms under a small bobber, (clear) with a short leader, like a factory worm rigged hook, you know, come 10 to a package.
still had to hide in the brush and wait, but they sure like the potatoe chips, plain or barbcued.

caught a big, (long big mouth) bass on this set up. it was so skinny i at first thought it had a illness. threw it back and swam off like a freight train. damn fish kept coming back for the potatoe chips, guess it was just straving in the middle of duck season, middle of december.

good luck

elmtree (woody)

#91830 - 06/15/00 05:56 PM Re: Catching Big carp
Leah Offline
Eyed Egg

Well I would never thought of potato chips as bait to attract Carp.
I think these fish are so wary of anyone coming near them , that they aren't interested in any type bait.
As I keep mentioning , they only seem to be interested in the fly's on the water surface.
That's why I wonder if I should be fly fishing for one of these big fellas.
This lake sure has some pretty rainbows in it too.

#91831 - 06/24/00 03:26 PM Re: Catching Big carp
Jake Dogfish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Des Moines
Your top technique for catching large carp would be a bobber and a cricket or grasshopper. You should use light line if the water is clear, and use a clear bobber if necessary because carp are very spooky. Crickets bought at a pet store work very well.

#91832 - 06/28/00 09:54 PM Re: Catching Big carp
JIm1234340 Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Northeast Ohio
Leah, I do good on bagels for carp. They are very bouyant and stay on the hook quite well. But man them carp are smart if you hook one near others they will not bite at all, and dont spoke them.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 386 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63786 Topics
645450 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |