Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#918124 - 01/08/15 02:57 PM Beckman Replacement Bag
wsu Offline
Returning Adult

I have a Beckman Fin Saver. Some kind of critter chewed holes in the bag while it was stored in my shop. I thought the bag was a bit heavy and was tough to use, especially for those with less experience netting. Can anyone recommend a good replacement? I'm looking for a fish-friendly replacement.

#918125 - 01/08/15 03:02 PM Re: Beckman Replacement Bag [Re: wsu]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
I have the same net and love it for the fish but hate how heavy the bag is. I only use it during feb,Mar for native steelhead. I'm curious to see the responses as I would like to see what others have done with there's. Good luck,

SZ

#918128 - 01/08/15 03:15 PM Re: Beckman Replacement Bag [Re: wsu]
Swifty27 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tri-Cities, WA
I'll be curious to see answers on this too. I haven't found the perfect one yet, but here's what I know:

You might want to check out a ranger bag. The one I just got, the mesh is more coarse than I really like for C&R, but it's ruberized, knotless, and a lot lighter. I'll look up the exact model when I get home. ( http://rangernets.com/specialty-and-replacement-nets/ )

Rubber net is going to be the most fish friendly, but they're HEAVY. It's nice thought because hooks don't tangle.

I've got a Promar bag on a Frabile handle, and I hate it. It's good mesh for a fish to be in, but it gets really tangled if a hook catches at all.

#918158 - 01/09/15 01:34 AM Re: Beckman Replacement Bag [Re: wsu]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Definitely a fan of the ProMar C&R bag here. Soft fine mesh is EXTREMELY friendly to slime/scales/fins. But definitely a bit more snaggy when it comes to your chosen hardware.

If you fish single and barbless, this bag is no problem... hook just slides right out

If you like trebles and barbs and lotsa hooks in general... fuggetaboutit.

I picked up a rubberized version a few weeks back with a bigger hexagonal mesh. Still extremely soft and lightweight... but also appears to be a bit less "snaggy"

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#918159 - 01/09/15 01:43 AM Re: Beckman Replacement Bag [Re: wsu]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

A blast from the past...

http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/741916/1.html

Read the whole thread... happy ending

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#918160 - 01/09/15 01:48 AM Re: Beckman Replacement Bag [Re: wsu]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

FYI saw this about Beckman on the Ifish board.

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=906625

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#918264 - 01/09/15 04:48 PM Re: Beckman Replacement Bag [Re: wsu]
SeanD Offline
Fry

Loc: Tigard, OR
I couldnt find a promar durasoft replacement net locally, ebay has them for $18 plus $5 shipping

#918268 - 01/09/15 05:26 PM Re: Beckman Replacement Bag [Re: wsu]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Thanks for the eBay suggestion for ProMar, so I went there.

I see that the DuraSoft bags comes in 2 mesh sizes, a smaller finer square mesh that I currently have on 2 bags (501 and 500) and also a newer larger hexagonal mesh.

My guess is the hexagonal mesh is the new replacement for DuraSoft bags and both mesh sizes are floating around in retail stock.

Few weeks ago, I just happened across a bag with the larger hexagonal mesh that is rubber treated to a smooth soft consistency. I don't see that featured on the ProMar website nor the eBay page searching ProMar.

I'll add a pic to show folks.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#918276 - 01/09/15 05:42 PM Re: Beckman Replacement Bag [Re: wsu]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Standard DuraSoft mesh... ( I now see where on closer inspection this "square" mesh is actually hexagonal as well)

Newer "coated" DuraSoft mesh looks like this....

For comparison here's the size difference between the two... FOUR meshes of the old are encompassed within ONE mesh of the new.

The larger mesh with less overall material should make a HUGE difference in drag as the bag cuts thru the water... esp for those with a "scoopy" or "chase 'em thru the water" netting technique.

Moreover, the coating should make a HUGE difference in the "snagginess" of the bag in terms of gear (hooks, spinner wire eyelets, duo locks, and gaped split rings)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#918280 - 01/09/15 06:02 PM Re: Beckman Replacement Bag [Re: wsu]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Hmmm...I like the look of that one.

Is the rubber coated bag noticeably heavier?

My last few CnR nets have been Rangers, and that includes the one I have now. It's been just fine, but the material seems a bit rougher than I'd like.

It's not a very old one, the one I use now, and I've considered taking it off the hoop and washing it in the clothes washer a few times and see if I could soften it up.

Anyone tried that before?

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#918347 - 01/10/15 01:30 PM Re: Beckman Replacement Bag [Re: wsu]
ondarvr Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Spokane WA
I could never find what I wanted so a modified one.

You can take the soft, knotless, very snaggy bags and coat them with silicone.

Buy the high flex silicone and put on the rubber gloves, just pump it out into your hand and rub the mesh, I coated one net twice and one of them once, it didn't seem to make huge difference, but was a little firmer.

You need to hang the bag in the shape you want it to take when the silicone cures.

You end up with a lighter, softer, easier to use net. I did it three years ago and they are holding up fine.

#918374 - 01/10/15 04:21 PM Re: Beckman Replacement Bag [Re: SeanD]
SeanD Offline
Fry

Loc: Tigard, OR
A recommendation. Dont buy the 501b net for a 34" hoop. Not even close.

Id hang a pic but im android disabled.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chromeo, Colluvium, lat59, m wilson, phishkellar, TBJ
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (wolverine), 1096 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645360 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |