THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#919066 - 01/16/15 04:53 PM Re: Rugged Justice WDFW LE program [Re: BroodBuster]
RB3 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: BroodBuster

After watching that news feed of Officer Kim trying to shoot a coyote at 20 yards a few years back that's a fortunate thing smile. After about 20 rounds the poor thing was like kill me already smile

Funny stuff. I almost got to pop a coyote on the streets.

#919097 - 01/16/15 09:47 PM Re: Rugged Justice WDFW LE program [Re: Dogfish]
gooybob Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
I know mistakes are made but they are human and again they deal with a lot of really bad people. I could NEVER muster the patience they have! People have to remember that the majority of them hunt and fish too. They are protecting their right to the resources as well.

#919134 - 01/17/15 11:09 AM Re: Rugged Justice WDFW LE program [Re: bushbear]
bob r Offline
Returning Adult

90% of the officers I've dealt with have been really reasonable individuals who are certainly interested in the protection of ALL of our resources. That being said I have had 5 or 10 run-ins with certain officers whose actions have been totally out of line and in 3 or 4 the officer's actions were NOT in the interests of conservation. Now remember, that is in 40 years of being a license holder, never issued a ticket or warning, prob. involved in 20 or 30 encounters with wdfw officers. That is significantly more then 15 % ,not a good number. As my wife Melanie quoted (and she has been there on more then one of these ocassions!), "Absolute power corrupts absolutely."
Bob R

#919156 - 01/17/15 05:33 PM Re: Rugged Justice WDFW LE program [Re: bob r]
gooybob Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Run-ins hmm. VI've fished this state since 1959 and not had more than 8 contacts with them. That's a lot of fishing. I'm wondering why you would have that many run-ins.

#919176 - 01/17/15 09:23 PM Re: Rugged Justice WDFW LE program [Re: bushbear]
bob r Offline
Returning Adult

Well, I'll tell you, my wife and I have been married 10 years this summer, together 15, and with her we've had at least 7 contacts,she can attest to every one of them.and recall approx. dates. No tickets, no infractions. 3 were VERY negative. She can attest to this stuff, anyone who saw her repeatedly speak at grey's harbor salmon mang. meetings knows she don't lie. The problem is that we not only fish a lot, I have hair halfway down my back for 47 of 62 years, law enforcement in general are prone to profiling ,anyone who doesn't believe that is either dense or bald (lol). The rest of my fishing in this state (which is total 46 years) had more contacts per year then lately, for some reason they are not so much redneck acting, prob. has to do with the fact that more of them out of state transplants. Oh, and pot has been legal (medically for almost 10 years now) so colatteral busts are less common. It's all points to them, wether justified or not. ( the percentage of "corrupted ones" vs. majority of reasonable officers is still a minority). Don't take many bad apples to stink up a barrel. Oh, and I've never had wdfw smell or find pot so I must be livin' right. (more lol) With major surgery for me last week they won't see us on the water for a bit.Bob R
P.S. With my luck lately ($2000 medical dedutable!) I'll prob. be on that show! I'll be the guy blurred out prob. yelling with bleeps (more yucks for you guys).

Edited by bob r (01/17/15 09:42 PM)

#919181 - 01/17/15 10:46 PM Re: Rugged Justice WDFW LE program [Re: bushbear]
ondarvr Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Spokane WA
I must say that in 50+ years of fishing I have only been approached a few times, and most have been very pleasant, none have been rude.

There was one that patrolled the Sky years ago that had a very bad rep though, Abrams I believe his name was. Stories of him pulling a gun on a guy at Reiter, then the guy taking the gun away from him and reporting him. Stuff like that was common. I never ran into him, but friends did, almost every encounter was a bad one.

#919187 - 01/18/15 07:39 AM Re: Rugged Justice WDFW LE program [Re: bushbear]
GEAR MONGER 2 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Snohomish Co, Wa
Have not seen it. I like a show were they get the bad guy. Not were they ticket some poor sob that made a small mistake. Be nice to see them try to educate. With all the law changes going on with our rivers its hard to stay on it unless you get the wdfw emails....and hope like crazy you are in a area were you will have service when they make these changes...oooh wait. We are suppose to be commenting on the show. I will have to check it out. Its windy enough to duck hunting. What am I doing here. smile

#919206 - 01/18/15 10:53 AM Re: Rugged Justice WDFW LE program [Re: Dogfish]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: Dogfish
I would prefer they do their jobs without the distraction of cameras. Yes, they have a tough job. No disagreement there.

As happened in Montana, a gentleman unfamiliar with Montana law got charged by an over zealous officer being filmed by the wardens program. He didn't tag his elk immediately. The elk died in a swamp, being the primary reason for them not tagging immediately. They were concerned about how to recover the animal. In the end all charges were dropped yet the man's elk meat had already be donated so he got a crap load of worry, a lot of expense, no meat and a lot of hassle over a tv show.

Cenci doesn't need another way to make himself famous.

Totally agree! And anyone who thinks that having a camera crew or the boss at your side doesn't affect how one responds is more than a bit naive.

After reading the article Dogfish linked it was apparent to me that the Prosecutor couldn't publicly disagree with the issuance of the ticket both because of liability issues as well as his working relationship with the F&W agency's LE. I suspect that the Prosecutor also was aware that his decision to not prosecute precluded a trial which probably would not have gone well for him and the State. Returning the head was a peace offering.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#919319 - 01/18/15 08:04 PM Re: Rugged Justice WDFW LE program [Re: bushbear]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
FYI..On right now

#919325 - 01/18/15 09:55 PM Re: Rugged Justice WDFW LE program [Re: bushbear]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I probably talk with WDFW officers 3-5 times a year. Depends on where you hunt and fish and how often you fish. I also volunteer with WDFW on a regular basis so if I include those interaction my contacts go up even more.

I do have to say I haven't had a bad interaction with a WDFW officer in years. I can think of two that stand out, but as a percentage of total interactions, bad ones are certainly not the norm.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#919331 - 01/18/15 10:22 PM Re: Rugged Justice WDFW LE program [Re: bushbear]
Piper
Unregistered

I enjoyed the show...

but hope I'm never on it!

#919340 - 01/19/15 07:41 AM Re: Rugged Justice WDFW LE program [Re: bushbear]
bob r Offline
Returning Adult

Bad tactics and attitudes are not the norm, never said it was, but the 20 % percent or so certainly needed better training or a new job not involving making decisions on law or enforcement or conservation. Let me give you just one example occurring 13 to 15 years back.
While digging razor clams on the North coast area,(north of Copalis) we had dug out limits along with a sizable crowd. During the week so it wasn't lots of folks, but prob. a couple of hundred within sight. It was a tough dig, west winds and pretty good surf. We decided to try for larger clams so took us longer. We got pretty wet and it was a tiring and trying day. We limited, upon reaching driveout were approuched by WFDW officer (who WATCHED us and everyone else drive in by entrance) who informed us that season was closed that day, it was a middle day of a 5 day dig, I believe(long time ago).We pulled press release out and showed him, he pointed out another area on another page where it pointed out the one day closure. When I said that contradicts other area on 3 page report he said it was a "typo". He said that he was confiscating clams
but we were lucky to not get a ticket. I got in his face and vigourously encouraged him to go ahead and right a ticket as we had paperwork and if he wanted to waste taxpayer $ on Bullsh** I was happy to "waste my time and embaress him in court. He wouldn't play no matter how much I pushed him, but said if I didn't not only surrender limits but not place them in HIS bucket (i "threatened" to dump them next to his bucket and make him pick them up since I had already put them in my bucket , that doing so made me gag. rather then voluntarily "contribute to his bucket heading for the jail (aprox. 4 gallons of clams already there). I was told that he would imm. take me to jail if I did no comply, by dumping clams directly into his bucket. After telling him once more what I thought of him letting ALL these folks dig clams in tough conditions only to confiscate them rather then stopping them at entrance (if this really was about "conserving clams" that's pretty blatent waste for license holders) he came up with lame excuse about "not getting everyone if he did that and that it "was more work to do that". I implied he'd undoubtably would give clams to all his cronies in corrections and law enforcement rather then the jail inmates as he alluded to.I was like "why not food banks?"As my girlfriend (future wife Melanie) really didn't want to go bail me out on principle (her cooler head has kept me out of jail for shooting off my mouth lots!) I dumped clams in bucket continuing to tell him what I thought of officers of his "ilk" and rubbing my nose with middle finger during session.I have another 4 or five stories like that in 36 years of fishing in WA.
While most law enforement officers are well meaning individuals with good hearts and families there is a sizable minority with bad attitudes and worse personal ethics that need to find another career not involving power over others. Bob R

Edited by bob r (01/19/15 07:48 AM)

#919346 - 01/19/15 10:20 AM Re: Rugged Justice WDFW LE program [Re: Dogfish]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: Dogfish
I probably talk with WDFW officers 3-5 times a year. Depends on where you hunt and fish and how often you fish. I also volunteer with WDFW on a regular basis so if I include those interaction my contacts go up even more.

I do have to say I haven't had a bad interaction with a WDFW officer in years. I can think of two that stand out, but as a percentage of total interactions, bad ones are certainly not the norm.

What anyone working with and in this case for the public needs to remember is the principle that one "Oh [Bleeeeep!]" moment undoes a hundred "Atta Boys" especially in this day of cell phone video and social media.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#919376 - 01/19/15 12:12 PM Re: Rugged Justice WDFW LE program [Re: bushbear]
gregsalmon Offline
Spawner

Loc: alaska and washington
I have often wondered why "getting in his face" , yelling, make threats would be helpful. You have the right to remain silent, why not use it?

#919390 - 01/19/15 02:37 PM Re: Rugged Justice WDFW LE program [Re: gregsalmon]
bob r Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: gregsalmon
I have often wondered why "getting in his face" , yelling, make threats would be helpful. You have the right to remain silent, why not use it?

Why would I try to be helpful to a T.B.G.(Thug with Badge and Gun)?I was never advised of my right to be silent, I have a right (and an obligation in this instance) to NOT be silent, I wasn't under arrest, I never "Threaterned "him in the 1st place, if you think that telling him I would "embarass him in court" is a threat you really are uneducated in what constitutes a "threat" and shouldn't engage in conversations asserting your rights with law enforcement types as you will wind up with your silly ass in jail.Oh, and by the way, I've never been in an altercation with law enforcement that has resulted in me being arrested as a result of that talk. You talk to someone like that respectfully? That's your right, don't infringe mine by suggesting it is an illegal activity (you know, like actually threatening cops?) Bob R

#919415 - 01/19/15 05:21 PM Re: Rugged Justice WDFW LE program [Re: bushbear]
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

Loc: The Coast or the Keys !!!
Cenci Is an asshole......Yep I said it ! He could have me killed and cover it up because of my attitude for the Brass at the dept. They dont walk in the boots of the wardens and they are wardens not cops !
They dont listen to the field guys, they dont care about the field guys and that jackass needs to go !
If he wants to drop his gun and badge I'm all in and I bet the field guys would have my back !

Peace Fly

360-888-7772

Stay Tuned for upcoming Hunts & Fishing info...........

New website & Channel Dropping soon !

Stay tuned for Turkey, Bear & Deer Hunts Along with Guided Sport Fishing.

Book Release Prior to Christmas 2021

#919431 - 01/19/15 06:10 PM Re: Rugged Justice WDFW LE program [Re: superfly]
bob r Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: superfly
Cenci Is an asshole......Yep I said it ! He could have me killed and cover it up because of my attitude for the Brass at the dept. They dont walk in the boots of the wardens and they are wardens not cops !
They dont listen to the field guys, they dont care about the field guys and that jackass needs to go !
If he wants to drop his gun and badge I'm all in and I bet the field guys would have my back !

Peace Fly

And I thought I was the newest candidate for Egos Gone Wild!! (yucks out loud!) Bob R

#919433 - 01/19/15 06:16 PM Re: Rugged Justice WDFW LE program [Re: bushbear]
RB3 Offline
Repeat Spawner

If you think they have power over you, you should probably do research and learn you constitutional rights. LEO'S have the power to enforce laws but must operate in accordance with federal law, state law, and agency policy.

A more intelligent argument present while being confronted would probably benefit you a lot more than itching your nose.

I rather fight ignorance with knowledge and not sink to someone else's level. that's my 2 cents.

Edited by RB3 (01/19/15 06:26 PM)

#919442 - 01/19/15 06:51 PM Re: Rugged Justice WDFW LE program [Re: RB3]
bob r Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: RB3
If you think they have power over you, you should probably do research and learn you constitutional rights. LEO'S have the power to enforce laws but must operate in accordance with federal law, state law, and agency policy.

A more intelligent argument present while being confronted would probably benefit you a lot more than itching your nose.

I rather fight ignorance with knowledge and not sink to someone else's level. that's my 2 cents.

We spent close to 10 minutes "reasonably arguing" but he started to get all bent out of shape hoping to intimidate us but that just put me into a higher gear (but not the highest I can go!) When intimidation is the only answer to a reasonable argument don't back down! Just my 2 1/2 cents worth. Bob R

#919544 - 01/20/15 03:59 PM Re: Rugged Justice WDFW LE program [Re: bushbear]
RB3 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Scary officer safety practices displayed on this show.. glad no one got injured.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 985 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |