THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#919698 - 01/21/15 10:33 AM Re: Im done.......Just not like it use to be.......... [Re: superfly]
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
Joe, wishing you more joy in life and in fishing. We have much to be thankful for, friend. Peace.
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#919809 - 01/21/15 07:32 PM Re: Im done.......Just not like it use to be.......... [Re: dwatkins]
Salmo_Gairdneri Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Snohomish
Originally Posted By: dwatkins
hey fly, if you end up guiding in Florida I would book you in a second.

You mean instead of booking the old school guides who learned that fishery through years of hard work? A little ironic considering the genesis of this thread.

-S

#919813 - 01/21/15 07:54 PM Re: Im done.......Just not like it use to be.......... [Re: superfly]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Joe - unfortunately, 305 is closed for business and they are NOT giving out any more guide licenses down there. You think the comp is tough up here with stickered sleds and jacked trucks? Try spending $500 - 750K on a 42" Yellowfin or Contender. It's literally Nascar on the water and if you don't have the cash to buy the horsepower, you can't compete. Period. Add in another $750K for a small chitty house and another $150K annual for your slip. You have to be a millionaire or have major financial backing to run those waters. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I have the contacts if you still want to explore - happy to help out....but....they are gonna tell you the same thing.

If you really want to branch out into B.W. guiding, check out the lower Leeward and Windward islands (St. Vincent & the Grenadines). There is zero comp down there and you are right off the largest blue / black / white marlin spawning grounds in the world. If I had the means, that's what I would be doing right now.

#919814 - 01/21/15 07:57 PM Re: Im done.......Just not like it use to be.......... [Re: Bantam]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Originally Posted By: Bantam
Dibs on your boat ManBearPig......

Jeezus Luis - his body isn't even cold yet and you are trying to slide right in. That being said, dibs on the front right seat. moose

Edited by NickD90 (01/21/15 08:00 PM)

#919818 - 01/21/15 08:40 PM Re: Im done.......Just not like it use to be.......... [Re: superfly]
Bantam Offline
Skytucky Redneck

Fvck it, couple Mai Tai's and he could be convinced to sign anything......

#919821 - 01/21/15 09:42 PM Re: Im done.......Just not like it use to be.......... [Re: superfly]
Moravec Offline

Loc: Snoqualmie WA/Cordova AK
When I first started fishing, the rivers on the Coast seemed so wild, so remote, and so foreign that it drew me in. I spent every spare dollar on gas to head out to fish Joe's rivers. Regardless of whether it was the Queets or Nooch or Hump or others, and regardless of whether the river was desolate or packed with boats, I always looked up to those diehards that spent the vast majority of their life on the river. These guys were the pioneers before me. Some were quiet, some were loud, some were professional, some were renegades.

Fact of the matter is, that today, the old school guys fish hard and do what they do, they keep on trucking, and many of the new school guys shamelessly flaunt themselves on social media to gain street cred. and to drum up whatever business they can. And today, that's what it takes to build a guide business quickly, even if it means selling out a little. I love sharing pics myself, but I also limit my network to family and close friends, not just any one that friends me with a fish in their profile pic.

Every guide has a following, and I think that there is so much noise on the internet that it is easy to feel like the younger and louder guides are more successful, but it's all noise.

I have a lot of respect for you, even though sometimes you say some pretty retarded stuff, I always have enjoyed fishing around you and watching your public service announcements, you mean well!!

So JOE SUPERFISKY, keep putting your heart into it, you've got a big one, keep putting limits in the boat, keep it professional, make those phone calls to your regulars, and don't give up. There will always be haters, there will always be someone new on the river that thinks they are the sh!t, but they won't last and they shouldn't steer you away from your livelyhood that you've spent 30 years doing what you love.

#919826 - 01/21/15 10:21 PM Re: Im done.......Just not like it use to be.......... [Re: Salmo_Gairdneri]
dwatkins Offline
I'm Idaho!

Originally Posted By: Salmo_Gairdneri
Originally Posted By: dwatkins
hey fly, if you end up guiding in Florida I would book you in a second.

You mean instead of booking the old school guides who learned that fishery through years of hard work? A little ironic considering the genesis of this thread.

-S

nah I just like catching fish and some guides can catch them some cannot. If Phil Stevens moved anywhere else I would book him too.

#919833 - 01/22/15 08:52 AM Re: Im done.......Just not like it use to be.......... [Re: superfly]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

I gave it up years ago. Tough to go from seeing few boats a day with double digit hookups 20 yrs ago. To today, a race before daylight for first water, and a boat or bankie in almost every hole and maybe a take or two if your lucky. Still some soiltude available but the numbers are'nt there any more. It's like going from prime rib most of your life to a sirloin. For the youngins who hit it hard these days, cudos! You'll never know or understand how good it was compared to how bad it is today. Sad situation indeed. I 100% understand Flys move and hope one day for a limited entry guide system. Best of luck!

#919867 - 01/22/15 02:23 PM Re: Im done.......Just not like it use to be.......... [Re: superfly]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Just got home from a Wynoochee lookie lou.....A Thursday, thought I had f'ucked up, got wrong day....Twin Bridges, to Black Ck., to Cross Over Bridge, to White Bridge.....

EVERY WHERE, lot's of drift boats and jet boat trailers.....well no jetters at cross over. 1 guide was leaving White Bridge....something mumbled about "some kind of zoo"...

Amount of driftboat trailers at White Bridge tells me either 7400 Line must be allowing put in, or some private property is allowing access.

Can't wait for the weekend for another Zoo, like its been.

Be safe!!!!!!!

Thinking "turn around" guys are making big bucks!!!!

Edited by DrifterWA (01/22/15 02:25 PM)

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#919875 - 01/22/15 03:48 PM Re: Im done.......Just not like it use to be.......... [Re: superfly]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Not sure if anyone's doing turnarounds at 7400. I was there Tuesday and talked to two guys doing their own shuttle. There were 5 or 6 other trailers parked there when I left in the afternoon, which tells me at least most are doing self-shuttles.

Maybe a lot of the trailers at White Bridge were guys planning to do the Black Creek drift and do the shuttle afterwards? Either way, no shortage of anglers. That's for sure.

#919890 - 01/22/15 06:19 PM Re: Im done.......Just not like it use to be.......... [Re: superfly]
milkBottleMikey Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Spawn Ranch
I have an old "Fishing Holes" map book from 1975 for coastal streams. In the accompanying article the author Terry Rudnick (sp?) mentions that the 'Nooche was an overlooked/underfished stream.

If you want solitude go on superbowl sunday.

#919895 - 01/22/15 06:45 PM Re: Im done.......Just not like it use to be.......... [Re: milkBottleMikey]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Quote:
I have an old "Fishing Holes" map book from 1975 for coastal streams. In the accompanying article the author Terry Rudnick (sp?) mentions that the 'Nooche was an overlooked/underfished stream.

And with good reason.

That was only a few years after completion of Wynoochee Dam and hatchery mitigation hadn't started in earnest yet, winter or summer. I recall a low number winter run return of something like 14 fish to the fish collection facility one year…..or something close to that. Wild fish for the most part.

#919909 - 01/22/15 07:48 PM Re: Im done.......Just not like it use to be.......... [Re: superfly]
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

Loc: The Coast or the Keys !!!
I am trying to get the 7400 deal sowed up so I can legally turn all of you around who want to fish up there........... As for Florida, I am a flats / back country guy, not a big money marilyn yellow fin guy.....I leave that to the ultra rich and ultra pros, I am niether.........

Thanks for the love and the props...........and you haters can keep kissing my ass and wish you could catch as many as Me !!!!!

its funny, every year out here the haters get less and less I guess its because of all the people I help every year out here who become successful...........larger then life, maybe at times , but it is life in which I want to live and I have to a point in my life where I dont need the noise anymore so what I decide to do is my business and always has been.
When I fish with customers I am as sober as a judge !
When I fish bymyself or my friends I am completely the opposite and I can be because that is MY time.............Haters keep hating....your just wasting your time.....
Peace Fly

Edited by superfly (01/22/15 07:49 PM)

360-888-7772

Stay Tuned for upcoming Hunts & Fishing info...........

New website & Channel Dropping soon !

Stay tuned for Turkey, Bear & Deer Hunts Along with Guided Sport Fishing.

Book Release Prior to Christmas 2021

#919965 - 01/23/15 10:39 AM Re: Im done.......Just not like it use to be.......... [Re: superfly]
hybridcx Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: sequim, Wa
I don't blame ya Joe, I'm not a guide but I used to spend a lot of time floating rivers. Then one day it just lost it's fun, pressure/ competition got to the point it wasn't enjoyable. Parked the drift boat and it's been going on 5 years since I floated her. Bought a ocean boat and a bow that's what fills my time now. Good luck with whatever you decide to do...

#919966 - 01/23/15 10:46 AM Re: Im done.......Just not like it use to be.......... [Re: superfly]
milkBottleMikey Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Spawn Ranch
Eric- I seem to remeber that the 'nooche closed in mid-January when I first started fishing there as a kid in the mid-80s. It must have been to rehab the native run.

#919998 - 01/23/15 02:00 PM Re: Im done.......Just not like it use to be.......... [Re: superfly]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
milkBottleMikey:

I also remember a early closure....and it was because Natives/wild steelhead were not returning in the numbers needed to keep the run going.

I also remember the late 60's where the Humptulips, the Satsop, and the Wynoochee were open until the end of April. Teaching was my profession, so I had spring vacation to fish those rivers....many days, wouldn't see another fisherman, even with the gear I had and my lack of experience, big fish tested me and my gear...... 18 - 25 pound wild steelhead were fairly common...... 26 - 30# were caught...really...

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#920160 - 01/24/15 10:22 AM Re: Im done.......Just not like it use to be.......... [Re: superfly]
Met'lheadMatt Offline
Spawner

What boats, stop get breakfast, launch at 8:30-9 and the race is going on half way down river, the water has settled, the easy fish got picked, now the fun begins. And I rarely see many, if any. It is what you make of it. It's all good.

Joe ya gotta do what your heart tells ya, let us know if you get and decide to tun around 7400.

#920186 - 01/24/15 01:15 PM Re: Im done.......Just not like it use to be.......... [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
HOOKUP Offline
Returning Adult

its really a strange phenom that things change, populations increase and business dynamics shift. Joe for all the smoke you blow, its obvious you have a great heart but half a brain. I know several young guides who have come up the past couple years and are booked solid and catch fish. It just shows the cream rises to the top. Good luck.

#920189 - 01/24/15 01:21 PM Re: Im done.......Just not like it use to be.......... [Re: DrifterWA]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: DrifterWA
milkBottleMikey:

I also remember a early closure....and it was because Natives/wild steelhead were not returning in the numbers needed to keep the run going.

I also remember the late 60's where the Humptulips, the Satsop, and the Wynoochee were open until the end of April. Teaching was my profession, so I had spring vacation to fish those rivers....many days, wouldn't see another fisherman, even with the gear I had and my lack of experience, big fish tested me and my gear...... 18 - 25 pound wild steelhead were fairly common...... 26 - 30# were caught...really...

Now you've really made me feel like one of those old codgers with stories about "how it used to be.....". Pox on you!!

Seriously, that spring fishery was great - light jacket in the morning and shirt sleeves later plus long days to make the best of a float. I'd add the Nisqually to that list.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#920324 - 01/25/15 10:01 PM Re: Im done.......Just not like it use to be.......... [Re: superfly]
TheHunt Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Puyallup, WA
I think you need to relook at your business plan and strategy at your current guide business. I am suggesting you have been at this for a long time and you might consider some other approaches to fill your boat.

Those younger guides are like you said... Craigslist, FB on multiple sites, tweeting current stats and efforts. I think with your expertise and your results you could kill it with the right strategy.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |