THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#921529 - 02/03/15 03:08 PM Re: Im done.......Just not like it use to be.......... [Re: superfly]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

I for one believe SF is not screwed.

By attending some anger management classes, some sensitivity training, and improving his people skills he could defiantly fill his boat with a group of prudes on a regular basis.

#921679 - 02/04/15 08:41 AM Re: Im done.......Just not like it use to be.......... [Re: teamster]
Nick Berto Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Monroe, WA
Originally Posted By: teamster
Good one Greg, all apply but this one should be #1
Must have DRAMAmine onboard. We don't need no drama
To much of this on this thread.
chuck

No more DRAMA... (must watch)

#921717 - 02/04/15 02:13 PM Re: Im done.......Just not like it use to be.......... [Re: Nick Berto]
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
Originally Posted By: Nick Berto
Originally Posted By: teamster
Good one Greg, all apply but this one should be #1
Must have DRAMAmine onboard. We don't need no drama
To much of this on this thread.
chuck

No more DRAMA... (must watch)

Your link is broken. Try this.

"Keeping it real. Peace y'all."

Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#921743 - 02/04/15 06:01 PM Re: Im done.......Just not like it use to be.......... [Re: Mooch]
teamster Offline
Diamond Cutter

Loc: Seattle
Now that is F'in funny...............need some of that stuff.

#921744 - 02/04/15 06:02 PM Re: Im done.......Just not like it use to be.......... [Re: teamster]
teamster Offline
Diamond Cutter

Loc: Seattle
Oh ya,"Peace Bro"

#921823 - 02/04/15 11:56 PM Re: Im done.......Just not like it use to be.......... [Re: superfly]
gregsalmon Offline
Spawner

Loc: alaska and washington
Drama MIne!

#921950 - 02/06/15 12:23 AM Re: Im done.......Just not like it use to be.......... [Re: gregsalmon]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

DETOX. thumbs

- Albert Einstein.

#921977 - 02/06/15 11:00 AM Re: Im done.......Just not like it use to be.......... [Re: superfly]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Congrats on your recent investment in yourself Sol Duc!!!
Once your Detox is over you will consider it money well spent!!

#926209 - 03/29/15 09:30 PM Re: Im done.......Just not like it use to be.......... [Re: superfly]
Swing r Die Offline
Smolt

Originally Posted By: superfly
I have been doing alot of thinking and alot of talking with people that I know well and trust and am happy to call friends above all else and I am pretty sure that I have came to the conclusion that after april 15th 0f 2015 I am going to call it quits on this whole guiding thing...... I will say this that over the years I have met some outstanding people, Been in some crazy situations, had a few knock down drag out brawls.......But most of all caught a shitload of fish with a ton of great clients that most of which have become much better friends over the years then anything else......some of you may wonder why I am doing this at age 50 ? well I will tell you why, I am just pretty much disgusted at what this industry has become. Its a shell of its former self......when you book a trip now with someone off of facebook or craigslist or groupon or what have you you have no idea what your going to get. You might get a young dude with a really cool looking boat and lots of stickers on it and his lifted truck yet he has only been rowing a driftboat for a year or two and most of his fishing knowledge comes from youtube or other internet fishing sites. He did not grow up walking the stream banks as I and many other guides my age did and most of these youngsters are not proficient and or safe in rowing there boat down the river with customers in it...................yet since they spend the money on advertising, spend countless hours on facebook and the internet and take hundreds of hours of video they will get more of the unsuspecting customers then the guys of my era.....and yet at the end of there trip they will wonder what happened and why...I have got alot of my best new customers from these types but at the end of the day I no longer want to be apart of it or associated with it until this state can come up with some kind of competency test or internship or apprenticeship program...Do I blame the young guides ? No how can you, there just doing what the state allows them to do. You have to blame the state and its lack of leadership or thinking in this arena.........So I will say this in closing, its been alot of fun, alot of hard work and I don't think it was supposed to end this way but at this point I am just done !
So if you want to come have some serious fun and catch a few fish hit me up and sign up because April 15th will come faster then you think............Peace Fly....

Great post, glad you shared that with us.

This all could have been avoided with the ideas you have.

#926210 - 03/29/15 09:32 PM Re: Im done.......Just not like it use to be.......... [Re: superfly]
Swing r Die Offline
Smolt

Originally Posted By: superfly
I hate to be a party pooper but if you want to do it move to Florida Brother !

Lol!

#926213 - 03/29/15 09:40 PM Re: Im done.......Just not like it use to be.......... [Re: sleestak]
Swing r Die Offline
Smolt

Originally Posted By: sleestak
Originally Posted By: Jason Beezy
I feel you fly.

The new guides I see obviously have a lot of family funding going into their little project. They often have vehicles and boats that I only dream of owning as a hard working person. It clearly doesn't add up

Ain't that the truth! It always makes me scratch my head when I see all these new guides rolling up in $40,000 lifted trucks with Micky Thompson tires and $2,000 worth of rims on them, towing a brand new shiny drift boat with $1,000 of aluminum rod holders mounted to the roof. Then you see the old time guide with a beat up Willie and a 15 year old truck...the guy that should be at a higher status all things being equal. The math never really added up to me...a lot of engineers I know have fewer toys and spend a lot less money than most newbie young-gun guides it seems.

Anyhow...I digress! Good luck in your future endeavors!

They're probably in debt up to their ears.....

#926214 - 03/29/15 09:56 PM Re: Im done.......Just not like it use to be.......... [Re: RB3]
Swing r Die Offline
Smolt

Originally Posted By: RB3
Less guides = Less new fishers = less license revenue for Wdfw?

Wrong.

#926216 - 03/29/15 10:08 PM Re: Im done.......Just not like it use to be.......... [Re: Eric]
Swing r Die Offline
Smolt

Originally Posted By: Eric
Quote:
I have an old "Fishing Holes" map book from 1975 for coastal streams. In the accompanying article the author Terry Rudnick (sp?) mentions that the 'Nooche was an overlooked/underfished stream.

And with good reason.

That was only a few years after completion of Wynoochee Dam and hatchery mitigation hadn't started in earnest yet, winter or summer. I recall a low number winter run return of something like 14 fish to the fish collection facility one year…..or something close to that. Wild fish for the most part.

Really ?? Interesting.

#926217 - 03/29/15 10:16 PM Re: Im done.......Just not like it use to be.......... [Re: DrifterWA]
Swing r Die Offline
Smolt

Originally Posted By: DrifterWA
milkBottleMikey:

I also remember a early closure....and it was because Natives/wild steelhead were not returning in the numbers needed to keep the run going.

I also remember the late 60's where the Humptulips, the Satsop, and the Wynoochee were open until the end of April. Teaching was my profession, so I had spring vacation to fish those rivers....many days, wouldn't see another fisherman, even with the gear I had and my lack of experience, big fish tested me and my gear...... 18 - 25 pound wild steelhead were fairly common...... 26 - 30# were caught...really...

That is very interesting, must have been great!

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |