Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#919103 - 01/16/15 11:34 PM PERFECT salmon... revisited
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#919104 - 01/16/15 11:37 PM Re: PERFECT salmon... revisited [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

OK you culinary salmon snobs... study that pic CAREFULLY.

Has the almighty CR spring chinook finally met its match?

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#919106 - 01/17/15 05:53 AM Re: PERFECT salmon... revisited [Re: eyeFISH]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
The ultimate test is on my plate!!

I have had a number of Chinook that would pass the "eye" test but were found to be lacking compared to the Columbia springer. That is not to say those second place fish were not excellent - they were; just that they were not Columbia river springers.

To be fair not everyone is a fan of Chinook and their more robust favor. Had folks that are just casual fish eaters rave about a June first summer steelhead or over the red flesh of a fresh sockeye and others turned off by the heavy fat content and softer texture of Columbia springer.

While I only get to "sample" two or three springers a year I have not ever had one that was not first rate. And added bonus with their high fat content (as long as you don't set them on fire) provides a wider cooking window to produce that prefect salmon.

Maybe the best thing about the springers is that those that make it to my table are long gone by the time summer rolls around and we begin enjoying more the region's sea-food at our table.

Curt

#919154 - 01/17/15 04:29 PM Re: PERFECT salmon... revisited [Re: Smalma]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

I smell a curve ball…….probably farm-raised salmon!

Those are some damn fine looking layers of Omega-3's though.

#919164 - 01/17/15 07:02 PM Re: PERFECT salmon... revisited [Re: Eric]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: Eric

Yep.... marbled thru every ounce of that luscious looking fillet. Looks kinda like this other delicacy from another island nation...

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#919166 - 01/17/15 07:37 PM Re: PERFECT salmon... revisited [Re: eyeFISH]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
I'll bite...

Wild Atlantic salmon (UK)
Upon further study, this looks like a pastry or candy.

Kobe beef (Japan)

#919168 - 01/17/15 07:49 PM Re: PERFECT salmon... revisited [Re: eyeFISH]
OLD FB Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Stanwood WA
Thanks for posting that photo of "perfectly" marbled salmon eyeFISH! Ran across a few looking like that back in my California days off Duxbury Reef! Those BIG slugs would be staging from the 4th of July weekend onward from the outside to head up the Sacramento River! Tasty they were over a HOT mesquite fire ( skin left on of course)

Kobe beef looks pretty tasty too!

OLD FB

Edited by OLD FB (01/17/15 08:29 PM)

#919175 - 01/17/15 09:12 PM Re: PERFECT salmon... revisited [Re: eyeFISH]
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
[quote=eyeFISH[/quote]

Your liver biopsy?

#919179 - 01/17/15 09:55 PM Re: PERFECT salmon... revisited [Re: chrome/22]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Steatohepatitis!

I guess I've read a few too many liver biopsies lately!

Still mouth watering though,

fb

Edited by fishbadger (01/17/15 09:56 PM)

#919210 - 01/18/15 11:06 AM Re: PERFECT salmon... revisited [Re: eyeFISH]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Talk about marbeling. Strange looking cut of Kobe? What is the name of that cut anyway?

#919223 - 01/18/15 01:06 PM Re: PERFECT salmon... revisited [Re: Eric]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: Eric
I smell a curve ball…….probably farm-raised salmon!

INDEED... farm-raised... but with a twist. I dunno... maybe this is the way to farm them "right"?

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#919226 - 01/18/15 01:16 PM Re: PERFECT salmon... revisited [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Anybody hungry?

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#919230 - 01/18/15 01:30 PM Re: PERFECT salmon... revisited [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: eyeFISH

INDEED... farm-raised... but with a twist. I dunno... maybe this is the way to farm them "right"?

Click thru the little slide show here...

http://orakingsalmon.co.nz/our-commitment/

Then check out the rest of the site. Could well be THE way to do salmon farming the right way.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#919290 - 01/18/15 05:31 PM Re: PERFECT salmon... revisited [Re: eyeFISH]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Interesting videos.

I wonder if they screened the first generation stock for disease and parasites? also, if they experience water quality issues in the net pens during the saltwater phase of production?…..both big issues up here in the Northland.

I like their attention to quality control.

#919349 - 01/19/15 10:48 AM Re: PERFECT salmon... revisited [Re: eyeFISH]
OncyT Offline
Spawner

Nice marketing job by the company. I didn't see anything that would necessarily separate them from any other salmon aquaculture operation.

#919363 - 01/19/15 11:35 AM Re: PERFECT salmon... revisited [Re: eyeFISH]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
No matter how good it looks, unless they seriously change what they feed farmed salmon than you will not be getting much out of it.

The ratio of Omega3s to Omega6s is perfect in wild fish...and is completely upside down in fish raised on the crap in the pellets they feed them.

Not only is it not "good for you", but it's the kind of fat ratio that will make you fatter.

http://authoritynutrition.com/wild-vs-farmed-salmon/

Salmon indeed is a personal preference...I love me some LCR springer, but not too much of it...same with a perfect sockeye.

That being said...I'll take a nice big chunk of a perfect URB over both, and since I eat salmon a LOT (three days a week on average), really good coho is my mainstay...

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#919366 - 01/19/15 11:51 AM Re: PERFECT salmon... revisited [Re: Todd]
OncyT Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: Todd
No matter how good it looks, unless they seriously change what they feed farmed salmon than you will not be getting much out of it.

The ratio of Omega3s to Omega6s is perfect in wild fish...and is completely upside down in fish raised on the crap in the pellets they feed them.

Not only is it not "good for you", but it's the kind of fat ratio that will make you fatter.

http://authoritynutrition.com/wild-vs-farmed-salmon/

Salmon indeed is a personal preference...I love me some LCR springer, but not too much of it...same with a perfect sockeye.

That being said...I'll take a nice big chunk of a perfect URB over both, and since I eat salmon a LOT (three days a week on average), really good coho is my mainstay...

Fish on...

Todd

The conclusions from the author of your reference:

1). However… I don’t really think this is a cause for concern. Even though farmed salmon contains Omega-6, the O6:O3 ratio is still excellent (at 1:3-4), it’s just less excellent than that in wild salmon, which is at 1:10 (9).

2). Salmon, both farmed and wild, should lead to a massive improvement in Omega-3 intake for most people, and is often recommended for that purpose.

3). In a 4 week study of 19 volunteers, eating farmed Atlantic salmon twice per week increased DHA (an important Omega-3 fatty acid) levels in the blood by 50% (10).

4). Bottom Line: Farmed salmon is much higher in Omega-6 fatty acids than wild salmon, but the amount is still too low to be a cause for concern.

#919381 - 01/19/15 12:38 PM Re: PERFECT salmon... revisited [Re: OncyT]
WN1A Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
Another point that has to be considered is the reference compares farmed salmon (Atlantic Salmon) to wild salmon without regard to the species of wild salmon. This is a common approach of both the opponents and the supporters of salmon farming. I suspect if one were to construct a table comparing the nutritional benefits of eating wild pink salmon to those of eating wild chinook there might be even more differences then wild and farm reared. At the end of the reference where the author mentions pollutants he makes the same mistake. If you read the actual studies wild chinook are as toxic if not more so than west coast farmed reared salmon.

#919481 - 01/19/15 11:31 PM Re: PERFECT salmon... revisited [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Found a piece of frozen coho in the freezer dated 10-15-14. A piece of center-cut back loin filleted from the area next to the dorsal fin. Leftovers from a 15# coho that I could not consume fresh before it went bad in the fridge.

The culinary verdict after 6 minutes in the broiler?

OK... there were three good oily bites.... the ones right at the dorsal ridge. The rest was ... WELL... it was frozen salmon that reminded me of all the horrible frozen salmon I ate as a kid growing up in Alaska.

My mind (and palate!) can't help but long for fresh CR springer or URB.

But seeing how neither is practically available in the middle of January, a nice thick slab of ORA KING would probably do in a pinch.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Born2Boat, Dirk Mc Girk, Frankster, Oz-fish, starfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 376 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |