LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#920476 - 01/27/15 02:12 PM Thoughts on Fenwick FS83 Reels / Re-wrap?
Swifty27 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tri-Cities, WA
I picked up a set of Fenwick FS83 rods.

My first question for the rod builders out there, is it a big deal to switch the guides out to casting guides? Is it possible to strip the old ones? Is it sacrilege to tamper with a classic?

I want to use them for plugging steelhead and coho in the forebays up here and some out of the drift boat. The guy I got them from said he just put baitcasters on and ran them as-is. I haven't tried it yet, but if it works, I'm thinking about throwing on the Diawa digital line counters. Anyone with experience with the reels? 10lb mono sound about right? 12lb?

Hopefully this is as interesting as leaving in a trailer hitch.

Edited by Swifty27 (01/27/15 02:12 PM)

#920478 - 01/27/15 02:20 PM Re: Thoughts on Fenwick FS83 Reels / Re-wrap? [Re: Swifty27]
Bobberdoggin Offline
Fry

I would just sell them and buy the FS83C if that's your intent. Shoot, I might be willing to part with a couple.

#920481 - 01/27/15 02:40 PM Re: Thoughts on Fenwick FS83 Reels / Re-wrap? [Re: Swifty27]
steely slammer Offline
Three Time Spawner

ive done it swifty went from spinning to bait caster.. use it for plunking and trolling.. seems to work ok..

mainly region 6

#920489 - 01/27/15 03:37 PM Re: Thoughts on Fenwick FS83 Reels / Re-wrap? [Re: Swifty27]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Swifty27:

I bought a Fenglas off EBAY, had spinning guides on it.....wanted casting guides, good ones, and more than the amount of spinning guides.

I took the rod to "North Fork Rods", east of Chehalis. Its not done yet, but they were going to:

1. Take off the old guides.

2. Install 12 casting guides and new tip.

3. Handle was very big around, so they were going to take that down.

4. re-finish rod.

5. cost.....just over $100.00

When it is done.....I'll post pictures.....

I do spoon fishing, on anchor. I used a old Fen glas blank that I tied up, 35 years ago, for salmon this past season, liked the way it fished. We'll see how the finished rod looks.

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#920492 - 01/27/15 03:51 PM Re: Thoughts on Fenwick FS83 Reels / Re-wrap? [Re: Swifty27]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA
Auburn Sports and Marine has repaired one for me before. Looked factory and it was super inexpensive. The only issue I have with converting a spin rod is that you are stuck with the wrong handle/reel seat. It isn't the end of the world but selling these and just buying casting rods would be my call.

Either way, you'll love this rod for plugging.

beer

Edited by JTD (01/27/15 05:42 PM)
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#920502 - 01/27/15 05:35 PM Re: Thoughts on Fenwick FS83 Reels / Re-wrap? [Re: JTD]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
To convert to casting, you would have to strip completely to do it right.
This gets the blank's spine* oriented correctly for casting and also gives you an opportunity to choose a modern reel seat.

*Spine
Similar to "crown" in lumber.
On spinning, the guides are on the bottom of the spine.
On casting, the guides are on top of the spine.

The spine is always up (crown up).

FS83 is a Hall-of-Famer

#920514 - 01/27/15 08:01 PM Re: Thoughts on Fenwick FS83 Reels / Re-wrap? [Re: Direct-Drive]
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
There is 2 FS83C on the PP classified board right now.

fp

#920568 - 01/28/15 07:50 AM Re: Thoughts on Fenwick FS83 Reels / Re-wrap? [Re: Swifty27]
Swifty27 Offline
Returning Adult

Thanks for the input guys!

DD, good point on the spine. I forgot to consider that part. I'll keep digging into who/how much for a proper rebuild. For what I paid for the three FS83, I can spend a bit and still come in at or below what some of the FS83c are going for. I like the idea of doing something a little different too.

I found some articles on stripping rods. Fortunately, I saved some old, cheap rods I've broken, so I have something to practice on. I'll let you guys know how it goes one way or another.

#920612 - 01/28/15 11:03 AM Re: Thoughts on Fenwick FS83 Reels / Re-wrap? [Re: Swifty27]
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
spine really isn't as big of a deal as many say. most reputable builders nowadays will build on the straightest axis of a rod.

another idea is to pick up a couple seeker SSH832 blanks and wrap them up. i've played with them and they are as identical to the old fenwicks as it gets. you could probably sell an FS83 to a gear collector for what it would cost to build a nice new rod.

#920795 - 01/29/15 10:40 AM Re: Thoughts on Fenwick FS83 Reels / Re-wrap? [Re: Swifty27]
crawlinmatt Offline
Egg

Spiral wraping casting guides mitigates the spine issue.

The reel seat is irrelevant if it sits in a rod holder. Trigger seats can cause issues with some styles of rod holders anyway.

I vote re-wrap so you have some unique plug rods that will get you some funny looks.

If the cork is questionable you can heat shrink it hiding the pitting and add durability, cork takes a beating when it is pulled in and out of rod holders.

#920835 - 01/29/15 02:00 PM Re: Thoughts on Fenwick FS83 Reels / Re-wrap? [Re: Swifty27]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
don't F'up the fenwicks if chum man says to look into seeker SSH832 you should. it's like buying a running classic dodge cuda just for the frame.

#920857 - 01/29/15 03:18 PM Re: Thoughts on Fenwick FS83 Reels / Re-wrap? [Re: Swifty27]
Swifty27 Offline
Returning Adult

Thanks guys. I'm running them as-is for now.

I appreciate the tip on the Seeker blanks. Rod builders seem fairly scarce over here. I'll ask around about it though.

Much more useful information than I got on the reels:

Quote:
You asked: "Does the line counter display in feet or meters?" about the DAIWA ITS ICV SOLAR 250 (japan import)

Quote:

Yoshiko casarin answered:
"To display the counter in the solar charging "solar system" loading. Enough winding yarn amount to hand-wound of fishing and gimmicks fall at a faster super spool free, can be further wide range of fishing. Under the sunlight, you can use the electricity solar panel has power to display the counter."

I think something got lost in translation.

Edited by Swifty27 (01/29/15 03:24 PM)

#920869 - 01/29/15 05:00 PM Re: Thoughts on Fenwick FS83 Reels / Re-wrap? [Re: crawlinmatt]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA
Originally Posted By: crawlinmatt
Spiral wraping casting guides mitigates the spine issue.

The reel seat is irrelevant if it sits in a rod holder. Trigger seats can cause issues with some styles of rod holders anyway.

I vote re-wrap so you have some unique plug rods that will get you some funny looks.

Vintage Fenwick casting models wouldnt have a trigger. What it would have is a integrated seat for the rear foot of the reel. It was the hot ticket before exposed blanks and triggers.

Edited by JTD (01/29/15 05:01 PM)
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#920871 - 01/29/15 05:21 PM Re: Thoughts on Fenwick FS83 Reels / Re-wrap? [Re: JTD]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Seeker was pretty quick to copy the Fenwick Steelhead (FS) line shortly after Fenwick USA closed in 1988.
They are good blanks...used to be $30-something and now they are $90-something.
That would be an option for someone wanting a glas driftrod/plug rod.
The one I have is gloss black.

#920875 - 01/29/15 06:04 PM Re: Thoughts on Fenwick FS83 Reels / Re-wrap? [Re: Swifty27]
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
yeah, i remember them going from something like $55 a blank to nearly $100 almost overnight a few years ago.

sure wish someone would sell those old style reel seats again, can't find them anywhere. closest thing to them are the wiebe/super sticker spin seats but with anglers workshop leaving town, not sure where to even get them any more.

#920876 - 01/29/15 06:14 PM Re: Thoughts on Fenwick FS83 Reels / Re-wrap? [Re: Direct-Drive]
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Olympia, WA
If I had that gloss black blank, you'd have to talk me out of putting classic Harnell colored thread wraps on it. Be a conversation starter, for sure, a Seeker blank that replicates a Fenwick's action, that's wrapped like a Harnell.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (stonefish, eddie, 20 Gage), 1083 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645295 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |