Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#920596 - 01/28/15 09:50 AM WFC on PS Hatchery Steelhead
JustBecause Offline
Juvenile at Sea

All,

I was forwarded this email from a friend this morning. Thought you might find it interesting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Scientist,

We are asking you along with other scientists in the fields of aquatic ecology, fisheries management, and conservation genetics to add your name to an important scientific sign-on letter. Our hope is that your contribution will help inform the public and make clear the scientific consensus regarding the risks posed by Chambers Creek hatchery programs to the recovery of wild Puget Sound steelhead. Your participation will reflect your understanding of the issue as a professional scientist and will not represent the views or policies of the organization or agency that employs you.

Despite scientific evidence to the contrary, much of the public continues to believe that Chambers Creek steelhead programs do no harm to, or are even essential to, the recovery of wild steelhead. This letter articulates the state of the science as it applies to Chambers Creek steelhead hatchery programs. Your participation will advance the public's understanding of this complex issue, creating support for the use of the best available science.

Click here to review the letter and relevant peer-reviewed literature, and add your name. Please contact me if you have any questions. Also, please forward our request to your colleagues with experience in relevant scientific disciplines, with an invitation for them to also support this educational effort.

Thank you for your contribution to this important issue.
Sincerely,

Kurt Beardslee
Executive Director
Wild Fish Conservancy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I couldn't get the original hyperlinks to work, click here to view the letter: http://salsa4.salsalabs.com/o/50835/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=11974

Edited by JustBecause (01/28/15 10:54 AM)

#920601 - 01/28/15 10:18 AM Re: PS Hatchery Steelhead [Re: JustBecause]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Is the Wild Fish Conservancy solar powered or do they purchase hydroelectric power?

#920657 - 01/28/15 04:18 PM Re: PS Hatchery Steelhead [Re: JustBecause]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
They run on bio-fuel....

....their own bullsh!t.
I want to be a fisherman.

#920659 - 01/28/15 04:25 PM Re: PS Hatchery Steelhead [Re: JustBecause]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Wow! I'm surprised an informed scientist would sign that letter. It contains sentences that are accurate, and sentences that cloud the issue, and sentences that are incorrect. It will be interesting to see who ends up signing it.

Sg

#920671 - 01/28/15 04:55 PM Re: PS Hatchery Steelhead [Re: JustBecause]
OncyT Offline
Spawner

Mostly WFC I would guess.

#920674 - 01/28/15 05:06 PM Re: PS Hatchery Steelhead [Re: JustBecause]
bk paige Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: On the Sky
Ya, so far most signatures are w f c employees

#920741 - 01/28/15 11:31 PM Re: PS Hatchery Steelhead [Re: bk paige]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: bk paige
Ya, so far most signatures are w f c employees

Voluntarily???

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#920745 - 01/29/15 04:35 AM Re: PS Hatchery Steelhead [Re: JustBecause]
Met'lheadMatt Offline
Spawner

The whole idea of recovering Wild fish in this state is a farce, you have systems like the Queets, with little human impact on it's watershed, barely struggle to make annual escapement, if it does at all.
Then you have a river to the south of us , in Oregon, called the Umpqua, that this year will get a return of close to 50k wild fish returning, farmed along and logged all around, our foot print is all over it's waterahed.
The difference between the two is NETTING, and as long as it continues to happen at the rate it does, Wild fish will continue to struggle. Both have the same ocean concerns, both have sportsmen intervention, Umpqua probably more. Only thing different is no netting in Oregon.
And they even have Hatchery intervention.........

Edited by Met'lheadMatt (01/29/15 04:38 AM)

#920751 - 01/29/15 07:36 AM Re: PS Hatchery Steelhead [Re: JustBecause]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
One other very b ig difference between the Umpqua and Queets is productivity. The Umpqua, according to the bios I have talked to, has a base rock that puts nutrients into the stream, making it productive if fish life. Like limestone streams, many of the Great lakes tibs, and so on. The Queets has a sterile base rock, so it needs nutrients from other sources (salmon). Since that is not possible in WA, the Queets productivity stays low and produces few steelhead. It is producing at capacity, for its productivity, but we are limiting that capacity.

#920753 - 01/29/15 07:53 AM Re: PS Hatchery Steelhead [Re: JustBecause]
RB3 Offline
Repeat Spawner

easy fix. Everyone sign my Limestone quarry petition for the queets

#920764 - 01/29/15 08:29 AM Re: PS Hatchery Steelhead [Re: JustBecause]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Though I believe the impact of gillnetting is sometimes exaggerated, I don't feel that way about the case of the Queets. There are weeks (generally coinciding with the peak salmon and steelhead runs) where that system gets drift netted 6 and 7 days. Regardless of what you believe about whether or not that's fair, it's certainly not conducive to the large escapements required, to Carcassman's point, to make the otherwise sterile environment productive.

As with all local streams, however, despite what seems like excessive gillnetting to me, I suspect the far greater impact occurs in ocean fisheries to the north. I've probably said it before, but I think the real danger of hatchery fish is that wherever they are present, the aim is to kill every one of them above what is needed to produce the next generation. We attempt to accomplish that goal through fisheries. Especially in the case of commercial fisheries (to a lesser but very meaningful extent in sport fisheries), wild fish get killed in said fisheries; LOTS of them.

Whatever the impact of the genetic introgression WSC points to, I have to believe it's a drop in the bucket compared to the chronic overharvest of wild fish in fisheries targeting hatchery fish. Perhaps WSC recognizes this, but they choose to push the genetic agenda because they aren't optimistic that overharvest arguments will be effective in their cause... or perhaps that's naive.

I know nothing of Kurt Beardslee, but at least some of the WSC folks are people whom I believe are genuinely dedicated to the recovery of wild steelhead, and I don't want to believe they are only doing this to make a living off lawsuit settlements and nostalgic documentaries (though I hope they keep those coming; I am a sucker for fish films).

#920767 - 01/29/15 08:46 AM Re: PS Hatchery Steelhead [Re: FleaFlickr02]
JustBecause Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Just to clarify, we are talking here about the letter from WFC- Wild Fish Conservancy, not WSC- Wild Salmon Center.

Two different organizations

#920770 - 01/29/15 09:00 AM Re: PS Hatchery Steelhead [Re: JustBecause]
Beezer Offline
Spawner

Loc: Monroe WA
Come on man! This isn't about coastal streams. This is about Puget Sound Chambers Creek winter steelhead programs. This is about costs to benefits of these programs. I don’t know of anyone who thinks there isn’t a “cost” to wild steelhead from Chambers Creek winter steelhead programs but is that negative influence significant enough to outweigh the benefits??? The freaks at WFC continue to pick at the low hanging fruit of wild steelhead recovery cuz they know they can’t change/improve any of the really significant issues.

#920780 - 01/29/15 09:56 AM Re: PS Hatchery Steelhead [Re: JustBecause]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
The other way that nature provided nutrients for otherwise sterile streams "was" an over abundance an salmon carcasses.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#920807 - 01/29/15 11:31 AM Re: PS Hatchery Steelhead [Re: JustBecause]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
The letter is about Puget Sound streams, and those streams have even less in common with the Umpqua as the Queets does...and the Queets has almost nothing in common with the Umpqua, either.

If anyone, on either side of the debate, starts citing information about the Umpqua you should tune out and suggest that everyone break for lunch.

It is worse than irrelevant...it is purposely misleading.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#920814 - 01/29/15 11:52 AM Re: PS Hatchery Steelhead [Re: JustBecause]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

No, I am referring to anyone who ever refers to the Umpqua River, for any reason whatsoever, when comparing Puget Sound streams, or coastal Washington streams...unless the reason they are referring to the Umpqua is to point out that it is stupid to compare it to Puget Sound or Washington coastal streams.

This goes for the WFC crowd who compare it to the Skagit and say the Skagit should have fish just like it, and it goes to the anti-WFC crowd who compare it to any other stream and say that if the hatchery program there doesn't bother the steelhead then neither does any other anywhere else, or that the Queets would be just like the Umpqua if we didn't have gillnetting.

Fish on...

Todd

#920829 - 01/29/15 01:33 PM Re: PS Hatchery Steelhead [Re: JustBecause]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Oops on the acronym snafu. I was referring yo the WFC. While I agree that most comparisons between the Umpqua and any Washington stream are misguided, I stand by my assertion that the biggest threat hatchery fish pose to wild fish in any stream is the overharvest of wild fish in fisheries targeting the hatchery fish. The same open ocean fisheries affect every population, regardless of any subsequent fisheries that occur in-river. Gillnetting is just one more strike against already overfished populations.

#920844 - 01/29/15 02:49 PM Re: PS Hatchery Steelhead [Re: JustBecause]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Man is screwing up the resource and will continue to do so.
Us being put on this small rock is a cruel experiment.
It is just a matter of time.

#920864 - 01/29/15 04:35 PM Re: PS Hatchery Steelhead [Re: JustBecause]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
In the letter the authors (WFC?) are claiming that the Chambers Creek hatchery steelhead are a avoidable threat to Puget Sound wild winter steelhead. While I probably have it all wrong but isn't the implication from concern with that ending the planting of Chambers Creek hatchery steelhead the status of the wild winters in Puget Sound would improve?

NMFS Technical Recovery Team (TRT) in examining the wild steelhead populations of Puget Sound determined there were 32 what they called demographical independent populations (DIPs). Of those 32 DIPs 27 are winter populations. With the ending of the Chambers Creek program on the Skagit only 6 are currently being planted with Chambers Creek steelhead.

Of the 21 DIPs that are not being planted with Chambers Creek 9 have not been planted for at least 3 steelhead generations and another 10 have been planted for at least 1 steelhead generation. To my knowledge none of those populations have shown any measureable increase in wild steelhead numbers since the ending of the release of the hatchery fish.

Of further interest 1/2 of those DIPs do not have winter recreational seasons. Across the Puget Sound region many of the DIPs of neither recreational or tribal gill net fisheries during the winter. For those streams that are open to fishing (targeting hatchery steelhead or other species) during the winter 'the aggregate combined effect (total impacts associated with fishing) of all fisheries (yes that includes tribal take) in recent years has average about 4% .

For at least Puget Sound wild winter steelhead significant reductions of hatchery /wild interactions and fishing impacts have not resulted in any measureable improvements in the status of the wild steelhead. Could it be that if folks are really concern about recovery of PS wild steelhead that it is time to at factors other than hatchery and/or harvest?

Curt

#920865 - 01/29/15 04:39 PM Re: PS Hatchery Steelhead [Re: JustBecause]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Unfortunately you can cut hatchery production and harvest pressures with the stroke of a pen.

The actual work to repair steelhead streams and steelhead runs will be very expensive, hard, and take a long time...and it seems that there is no political will to do any of it.

Fish on...

Todd

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 1090 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645296 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |