THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#920704 - 01/28/15 06:48 PM Re: MA 7 closing for blackmouth [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Chasin' Baitman Offline
Returning Adult

Is it a foregone conclusion that MA7 will close for good after the Roche Harbor derby weekend?

#920729 - 01/28/15 08:21 PM Re: MA 7 closing for blackmouth [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Clearly, it depends. (Sorry, couldn't help myself)

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#920737 - 01/28/15 10:15 PM Re: MA 7 closing for blackmouth [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Originally Posted By: Chasin' Baitman
Is it a foregone conclusion that MA7 will close for good after the Roche Harbor derby weekend?

If it does then you will be treated to a prime example of how "science" is used to make these decisions.

Fish on...

Todd

P.S. In this case when I say "science", I mean that in the loosest sense, kind of the "not science" sense.

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#920840 - 01/29/15 02:40 PM Re: MA 7 closing for blackmouth [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
Well I dunno about yall but I'm fishing it tomorrow while I still can....

Fish ON!
I want to be a fisherman.

#922529 - 02/11/15 01:51 PM Re: MA 7 closing for blackmouth [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
This weekend is it...take your Valentine out on Saturday wink

Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov/

February 11, 2015

Salmon fishing to close Feb. 15 in San Juan Islands

OLYMPIA - The recreational fishery in Marine Area 7 (San Juan Islands) will close to salmon fishing at the end of the day Feb. 15.

Fishery managers with the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) made the decision after evaluating catch rates for the area, said Ron Warren, policy lead for WDFW's fish program.

"We're thrilled that anglers have done so well fishing in the San Juans over the last several weeks," Warren said. "This step, similar to the previous actions we've taken, is being done to protect wild chinook stocks."

In January, WDFW reduced the catch limit in the San Juan Islands to one salmon per day, down from two, and later limited fishing to a schedule of Friday, Saturday and Sunday each week in an effort keep the fishery open as long as possible.

Anyone still hoping to fish for chinook salmon in nearby waters can head to marine areas 6 (eastern Strait of Juan de Fuca), 8-1 (Deception Pass), 8-2 (Port Susan) and 9 (Admiralty Inlet), which are scheduled to remain open into April. Anglers should check for updates on WDFW's Fishing Hotline (360-902-2500) or the department's website at http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/ .

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#922531 - 02/11/15 02:03 PM Re: MA 7 closing for blackmouth [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Chasin' Baitman Offline
Returning Adult

Welp, it's happening permanently. I guess I should be happy we're getting an extra weekend out of it.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/news/feb1115a/

As a resident of Bellingham and an avid blackmouth angler, I an truly, truly devastated at the MA7 closure. Arguably, the closure is for artificial, bureaucratic reasons and not because there is any real danger to fish.

A HUGE swath of our accessible saltwater wilderness is now off-limits for 2 1/2 months! Our rivers close in February, Puget Sound and the Strait are distant and/or very exposed to winter weather...this is essentially the death knell of fishing opportunity for those of us up in the San Juans region. And these are the months we need it most!

Pumping lakes full of stocker trout, and saying we can still go out for greenling and flounder are not appealing prospects for the serious angler.

Is not WDFW mandated to provide opportunity? We've been dealt nothing but bad news over the last year. And the San Juans region has been hardest hit: Steelhead smolts going into lakes, the Skagit closed to Steelhead for TWELVE YEARS and now this. And while our opportunity vanishes before our very eyes, the fishing is actually pretty darn good.

Throw us a bone, will ya?

Edited by Chasin' Baitman (02/11/15 02:24 PM)

#922540 - 02/11/15 03:06 PM Re: MA 7 closing for blackmouth [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Baitman, you guys got the whole critter and now you want an extra bone? Out of consideration for other readers I won't list the loss/reduction of opportunity throughout the Puget Sound region.

Oh, and blackmouth fishing down south has been an ongoing opportunity with little joy.

#922543 - 02/11/15 03:57 PM Re: MA 7 closing for blackmouth [Re: Larry B]
Chasin' Baitman Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: Larry B
Baitman, you guys got the whole critter and now you want an extra bone? Out of consideration for other readers I won't list the loss/reduction of opportunity throughout the Puget Sound region.

Oh, and blackmouth fishing down south has been an ongoing opportunity with little joy.

heh, well it hurts to have this nice, plush rug pulled out from under us wink

If I had my druthers (and I never do), I'd rather have last season's season. Decent - not gangbusters - fishing and we made it all the way to April 30. I'd MUCH rather have fewer fish and more opportunity. Hard to tell the fish to back off tho smile

I know the puget sound region in general has been hit hard. But how could it be worse than losing your river for TWELVE YEARS? That has to take the cake.

After feb 15, we have stocker trout lakes and that's it. That is a criminal loss of opportunity.

Edited by Chasin' Baitman (02/11/15 03:57 PM)

#922545 - 02/11/15 04:07 PM Re: MA 7 closing for blackmouth [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Yes, we are all in a fairly crappy boat taking on water from a myriad of leaks. I actually hope that at some point the agreement with WFC is ruled illegal and overturned. If the proper permits haven't been issued by then maybe WFC will sue NOAA.

One reality is that WDFW should have seen the rapidly approaching rock wall much sooner to put on the brakes and extend the MA 7 season. Maybe next year they will start out with a one fish limit.

#922554 - 02/11/15 05:07 PM Re: MA 7 closing for blackmouth [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Baitman, there is so much emotion in what you type. I appreciate the passion but, it may be time to take a breath full of dispensary smoke and appreciate what you have/had rather than what you aren't getting. I just don't understand how you can be "truly, truly devastated" after an unbelievable season. The idea of always having "more, more, more" is partly what got us in this jam. You/We actually got far more than what was originally agreed upon.

Just because you don't like something doesn't make it unfair or wrong. Sure, it "sucks" but that is a different thing than someone victimizing or knowingly wronging you.

Wishing us both a few more shiny ones before Sunday's sunset!

-AP

#922561 - 02/11/15 05:28 PM Re: MA 7 closing for blackmouth [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
Chasin' Baitman Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D
Baitman, there is so much emotion in what you type. I appreciate the passion but, it may be time to take a breath full of dispensary smoke and appreciate what you have/had rather than what you aren't getting. I just don't understand how you can be "truly, truly devastated" after an unbelievable season. The idea of always having "more, more, more" is partly what got us in this jam. You/We actually got far more than what was originally agreed upon.

Just because you don't like something doesn't make it unfair or wrong. Sure, it "sucks" but that is a different thing than someone victimizing or knowingly wronging you.

Wishing us both a few more shiny ones before Sunday's sunset!

-AP

Incorrect on all counts. You can't say "you got your fish" when at the end of the day, most serious anglers would prefer the scenario I laid out: a more measured season vs. the feast then famine of this season.

This is recreational fishing which is more about opportunity than harvest. Commercials are about harvest. I MOST CERTAINLY never "agreed upon" what we got this year. Sure it was good, but I'd trade it in a second for a full season. I do not mind skunkings as long as I have a chance to go out and try again.

Like alot of guys on here, I view fishing as more of a religion than a pastime. So while you may not feel it, I do in fact reserve the right to be devastated by NO LEGITIMATE FISHING OPTIONS IN OUR REGION FOR THE NEXT TWO AND A HALF MONTHS (an issue that goes beyond saltwater). If that doesn't seem wrong and unfair to you...I doubt your commitment to sparkle motion. Google it.

To add insult to injury, WDFW claims to have a mandate of providing opportunity. Why bother when it's just lip service? All they have done is reduce opportunity.

If the aggregate method mentioned earlier in this thread is a viable method of management, AND it would have retained our opportunity, then the closure can be viewed as artificial and bureaucratic. I realize a government agency can't be expected to change its management system mid-=season, but the reality of the current model is that it is based on 1970s coded wire tag data. The modeling system is fundamentally broken, which means this could have been avoided if WDFW had updated their methodology sooner. Yet another dropped ball.

#922564 - 02/11/15 06:19 PM Re: MA 7 closing for blackmouth [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

If the aggregate method mentioned earlier in this thread is a viable method of management, AND it would have retained our opportunity, then the closure can be viewed as artificial and bureaucratic. I realize a government agency can't be expected to change its management system mid-=season, but the reality of the current model is that it is based on 1970s coded wire tag data. The modeling system is fundamentally broken, which means this could have been avoided if WDFW had updated their methodology sooner. Yet another dropped ball.

Your suggestion about an aggregate method was addressed by me earlier in this thread. Had that type of management tool been in place this year and had MA 7 been allowed to continue at a 2 fish limit I would speculate that all other areas of Puget Sound would have been closed early.

How would you rationalize such a reallocation of opportunity? I can tell you that the South Sound anglers already perceive that they are taking the short end of the stick on several fronts.

#922597 - 02/11/15 10:35 PM Re: MA 7 closing for blackmouth [Re: Larry B]
Chasin' Baitman Offline
Returning Adult

How would you rationalize such a reallocation of opportunity? I can tell you that the South Sound anglers already perceive that they are taking the short end of the stick on several fronts.

How's that? Peninsula rivers, the coast, the Columbia and tribs are within reach for day trips for south sounders. Not to mention the sound itself. Arguably it's one of the better positions to be in the state for year-round fishing opportunity.

As it stands right now, our "day trip" opportunity (from the san juans region) is Everett. 60+ miles to fish areas 8.2 or 9. frown

#922600 - 02/11/15 11:41 PM Re: MA 7 closing for blackmouth [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

How's that? Peninsula rivers, the coast, the Columbia and tribs are within reach for day trips for south sounders. Not to mention the sound itself. Arguably it's one of the better positions to be in the state for year-round fishing opportunity.

As it stands right now, our "day trip" opportunity (from the san juans region) is Everett. 60+ miles to fish areas 8.2 or 9. frown

First, this was discussing blackmouth impact allocation rather than a general discussion of fishing opportunities. Let's stick with that issue and the idea that allocation could/should be shifted to areas where the fishing is best so that they can prolong their (outstanding) fishing. Unfortunately, that extension would likely cause the early closer of all blackmouth fishing within Puget Sound. So your rationalization is that we have other opportunities like the rivers? The only river which may have a boat opportunity for displaced saltwater boat anglers is the Columbia. Gee whiz Batman, that's something like 130 miles south. And you've complaining about 60 miles to Everett?

Have you considered a Canadian license? Closer for you to go to Canada than for us to go to the Big C for springers (which aren't in yet), eh. Rivers, salt, bigger limits and longer seasons on spot prawns, crab, should provide great opportunity closer to home. Glad I could help.

In case you haven't figured it out yet I seem to have lost any sympathy......

#922619 - 02/12/15 10:59 AM Re: MA 7 closing for blackmouth [Re: Larry B]
Chasin' Baitman Offline
Returning Adult

First, this was discussing blackmouth impact allocation rather than a general discussion of fishing opportunities. Let's stick with that issue and the idea that allocation could/should be shifted to areas where the fishing is best so that they can prolong their (outstanding) fishing. Unfortunately, that extension would likely cause the early closer of all blackmouth fishing within Puget Sound. So your rationalization is that we have other opportunities like the rivers? The only river which may have a boat opportunity for displaced saltwater boat anglers is the Columbia. Gee whiz Batman, that's something like 130 miles south. And you've complaining about 60 miles to Everett?

Have you considered a Canadian license? Closer for you to go to Canada than for us to go to the Big C for springers (which aren't in yet), eh. Rivers, salt, bigger limits and longer seasons on spot prawns, crab, should provide great opportunity closer to home. Glad I could help.

Heh, well I do have a way of alienating potential supporters. I do agree it's hard to sympathize with some guy who's just experienced some of the best salmon fishing ever.

But for me the issue IS opportunity. Perhaps it is another thread. It's a much larger issue that would tie into the fact that WDFW manages by closure. By saying the only other opportunity available is the big C, you're basically assuming that all other closures are merited. The reason I am droning on about opportunity in this thread is because it just so happens blackmouth was our last remaining opportunity.

But back on the topic, I really don't think you can claim that under the aggregate method of management, all marine areas would be closed. How exactly would you know that? I am no management expert, but I think it highly UNlikely that one marine area would use up the quota set for all 7 or 8 open ones.

It seems like this exactly why the aggregate method is being floated by people like Tony Floor. If it was likely to just end up with the same result (or worse - ALL marine areas are closed), I sincerely doubt it would be pushed.

Let's say the method of management didn't change...I'm STILL saying the system is broken. Anybody who's ever even used excel knows a model is only as good as what you put into it. Using 1970s coded wire tag data as the foundation is just plain wrong. How is using *anything* from the 1970s even relevant? I am from the 1970s, and I am no longer relevant wink WDFW is "working" to update the model to use coded wire tag data from the early 2000s, but is still a couple years off. (????)

So we were already hamstrung by bad data before the season even began. My guess (emphasis on guess), is that the model has the inability to realize that the pie might be bigger.

Second, the glacial pace at which data moves through the system in-season is a critical issue. As it turns out, at the time the bag limit changed to 1 we were ALREADY OVER QUOTA. But they didn't know it because it takes weeks to process all the data from the various sampling methods. Talk about bureaucratic inefficiency. Having all the information in a timely manner might have helped prolong the season, because they would have been able to throttle it alot sooner.

It was the 1-2 punch of bad data and inefficient management.

Yes, I know, crocodile tears. Don't feel bad for me! Yes, I DO have a canadian license and even a nexus pass. But I am not a Canadian, I'm a Washingtonian and I care much more about what goes on at home than in another country. I'm what you'd call a CONSTITUENT.

Actually, the people you should feel bad for are the ones who make they livelihoods from sportsfishing. The guides, sure. But even more so the retailers. The good folks at great stores like Holiday Sports and Yeager's are going to feel this, and it goes all the way up the supply chain. Poor management practices have real consequences.

This is part of what House bill 1660 is trying to address:

Quote:

(4) The legislature further finds that Washington will not be able to grow its sports fishing tourism industry, and compete with other popular sports fishing destinations, unless the fish and wildlife commission prioritizes recreational harvest opportunities and establishes predictable and stable recreational fishing seasons that enable both state residents and visitors from around the country and around the globe to make long-term trip planning and tourism spending decisions that lead them to Washington's rural communities.

http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2015-16/Pdf/Bills/House%20Bills/1660.pdf

Sportfishing is about opportunity.

Edited by Chasin' Baitman (02/12/15 11:27 AM)

#922637 - 02/12/15 12:27 PM Re: MA 7 closing for blackmouth [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

"We're thrilled that anglers have done so well fishing in the San Juans over the last several weeks," Ron Warren said.

That would be an excellent example of an oxymoron.

Emphasis on moron.

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#922644 - 02/12/15 01:17 PM Re: MA 7 closing for blackmouth [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Heh, well I do have a way of alienating potential supporters. I do agree it's hard to sympathize with some guy who's just experienced some of the best salmon fishing ever.

But for me the issue IS opportunity. Perhaps it is another thread. It's a much larger issue that would tie into the fact that WDFW manages by closure. By saying the only other opportunity available is the big C, you're basically assuming that all other closures are merited. The reason I am droning on about opportunity in this thread is because it just so happens blackmouth was our last remaining opportunity.

But back on the topic, I really don't think you can claim that under the aggregate method of management, all marine areas would be closed. How exactly would you know that? I am no management expert, but I think it highly UNlikely that one marine area would use up the quota set for all 7 or 8 open ones.

It seems like this exactly why the aggregate method is being floated by people like Tony Floor. If it was likely to just end up with the same result (or worse - ALL marine areas are closed), I sincerely doubt it would be pushed.

Let's say the method of management didn't change...I'm STILL saying the system is broken. Anybody who's ever even used excel knows a model is only as good as what you put into it. Using 1970s coded wire tag data as the foundation is just plain wrong. How is using *anything* from the 1970s even relevant? I am from the 1970s, and I am no longer relevant wink WDFW is "working" to update the model to use coded wire tag data from the early 2000s, but is still a couple years off. (????)

So we were already hamstrung by bad data before the season even began. My guess (emphasis on guess), is that the model has the inability to realize that the pie might be bigger.

Second, the glacial pace at which data moves through the system in-season is a critical issue. As it turns out, at the time the bag limit changed to 1 we were ALREADY OVER QUOTA. But they didn't know it because it takes weeks to process all the data from the various sampling methods. Talk about bureaucratic inefficiency. Having all the information in a timely manner might have helped prolong the season, because they would have been able to throttle it alot sooner.

It was the 1-2 punch of bad data and inefficient management.

Yes, I know, crocodile tears. Don't feel bad for me! Yes, I DO have a canadian license and even a nexus pass. But I am not a Canadian, I'm a Washingtonian and I care much more about what goes on at home than in another country. I'm what you'd call a CONSTITUENT.

Actually, the people you should feel bad for are the ones who make they livelihoods from sportsfishing. The guides, sure. But even more so the retailers. The good folks at great stores like Holiday Sports and Yeager's are going to feel this, and it goes all the way up the supply chain. Poor management practices have real consequences.

This is part of what House bill 1660 is trying to address:

Quote:

(4) The legislature further finds that Washington will not be able to grow its sports fishing tourism industry, and compete with other popular sports fishing destinations, unless the fish and wildlife commission prioritizes recreational harvest opportunities and establishes predictable and stable recreational fishing seasons that enable both state residents and visitors from around the country and around the globe to make long-term trip planning and tourism spending decisions that lead them to Washington's rural communities.

http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2015-16/Pdf/Bills/House%20Bills/1660.pdf

Sportfishing is about opportunity.

What is Excel?

I did not unequivocally state that imposing an aggregate approach would certainly cause an early closure throughout Puget Sound. I did strongly suggest that it could/might have that effect.

In addition to fish caught in MA7 one would also need to factor into the aggregate impact the fish caught in the other management areas so it wouldn't be JUST the MA7 fish. But, again, allowing a two fish limit to run unabated especially when success has been as good as it was (glad you were able to enjoy it) in any MA(s) could reasonably cause a P.S. wide closure earlier than would occur under the current system.

While you have questioned the modeling (and maybe there is an issue there) I suggest that a more reasonable short term approach might be to determine how the Department could structure the fishery to prevent the early closure.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |