Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#920130 - 01/24/15 06:03 AM Anglers want fair share of Baker Lake sockeye
Phoenix77 Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Kent, WA

Sport anglers want fair share of Baker Lake sockeye

Anglers fishing Baker Lake — located in the Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest — for sockeye last summer were disappointed with the inequity of catch between the sport and tribes.

By Mark Yuasa

Seattle Times staff reporter

The popular Baker Lake summer sockeye fishery has become a hot topic heading into the salmon season-setting process that begins in March.

Anglers fishing Baker Lake — located in the Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest — for sockeye last summer were disappointed with the inequity of catch between the sport and tribes.

“We need to take a more conservative approach on how we address the fishery,” said Frank Urabeck, a former member of several state Fish and Wildlife sport fishing advisory boards. “We want to make sure the sport and tribes get their fair share of fish.”

Preliminary catch data from last summer’s fisheries suggests the tribes took 12,000 to 13,000 sockeye compared to a likely sport haul of 3,000 to 4,000 (369 were taken from the Skagit River). The 2014 preseason forecast for Baker Lake was 35,377 sockeye, but the actual return was closer to 27,700.

What makes the Baker Lake fishery difficult to gauge is tribal fishermen net their sockeye in marine waters and the Lower Skagit River. That is before the salmon reach the Baker River fish trap at Concrete that is the basis for the in-season sockeye run update.

“It was too late to hit the brakes last summer when it became apparent the run was coming in short as the tribes had already caught their fish based on the preseason data,” Urabeck said.

Last summer, 13,788 sockeye were trapped at Concrete and 7,199 fish were transferred to the lake to provide a limited sport fishing opportunity.

The first Baker Lake sockeye fishery occurred in 2010, benefiting from major investments by Puget Sound Energy, including a new juvenile-fish floating surface
.... http://seattletimes.com/html/outdoors/2025532135_outnotes25xml.html

If you must burn our flag, Please! wrap yourself in it.
Puget Sound Anglers, So. King Co.
CCA SeaTac Chapter

I love my country but fear my government

#920134 - 01/24/15 07:29 AM Re: Anglers want fair share of Baker Lake sockeye [Re: Phoenix77]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
An interesting turn-about. The freshwater fishery is second in line and is based on data, the marine fishery is based on a model.

Like to see all the marine fisheries based on data? I am sure that the Skagit tribes (or any for that matter) would find fishing on known numbers of the other salmon in their favor?

#920144 - 01/24/15 08:58 AM Re: Anglers want fair share of Baker Lake sockeye [Re: Phoenix77]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

As written in the article,

"State Fish and Wildlife will hold a follow-up public workshop regarding the situation at 10 a.m. Saturday at its Mill Creek office, 16018 Mill Creek Blvd."

I thought the work shop wasn't today but instead Sat. Jan.31?

Anybody?

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#920157 - 01/24/15 10:14 AM Re: Anglers want fair share of Baker Lake sockeye [Re: Phoenix77]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Found the WDFW Press release.

WDFW invites public to meeting on Baker Lake sockeye salmon fishery

OLYMPIA - The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) will host a public meeting Jan. 31 in Mill Creek to discuss prospects for a Baker Lake sockeye salmon fishery.

The public meeting is scheduled for 10 a.m. at WDFW's Mill Creek office, 16018 Mill Creek Blvd.

I always enjoy reading article's written by Mark Y. in the Seattle Times.

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#920341 - 01/26/15 10:15 AM Re: Anglers want fair share of Baker Lake sockeye [Re: Phoenix77]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
50% of the fish.... even when they're manufactured by PSE.
I want to be a fisherman.

#920450 - 01/27/15 08:57 AM Re: Anglers want fair share of Baker Lake sockeye [Re: Phoenix77]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Baker sockeye, they're a nice problem to have.

#920639 - 01/28/15 12:58 PM Re: Anglers want fair share of Baker Lake sockeye [Re: GodLovesUgly]
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
Originally Posted By: GodLovesUgly
50% of the fish.... even when they're manufactured by PSE.

Yes. Absolutely yes. PSE is providing mitigation for the fish lost to hydropower development. If not for those dams, the sockeye run would be 100% wild, and the allocation would be 50% of the available harvest. The purpose of the mitigation is to replace what was lost. It does not change the allocation between the State and the Tribe(s).

#920647 - 01/28/15 02:13 PM Re: Anglers want fair share of Baker Lake sockeye [Re: Phoenix77]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
It was a joke....
I want to be a fisherman.

#920890 - 01/29/15 07:49 PM Re: Anglers want fair share of Baker Lake sockeye [Re: GodLovesUgly]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
Originally Posted By: GodLovesUgly
It was a joke....

Please expound for those not able to be there....

Fishy

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chromeo, Colluvium, lat59, m wilson, phishkellar, TBJ
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 242 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645360 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |