Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#921086 - 01/31/15 05:04 PM House Bill 1660
jspecc Offline
Egg

Loc: Redmond, Wa
Take a look and send your representative your thoughts. Its more important than ever to get involved.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=1660&year=2015

I'm not an expert by any means. From what I've heard and read so far it makes a move to prioritize recreational fishing over commercial, and keep money generated by recreational fishing(licenses, etc.) from being pilfered for other State uses. Recreational fishing generated around $71 million for the WDFW compared to the $1.5 million from commercial.

"(4) The legislature further finds that Washington will not be able to grow its sports fishing tourism industry, and compete with other popular sports fishing destinations, unless the fish and wildlife commission prioritizes recreational harvest opportunities11and establishes predictable and stable recreational fishing seasons that enable both state residents and visitors from around the country and around the globe to make long-term trip planning and tourism spending decisions that lead them to Washington's rural communities.

(5) The legislature further finds that recreational fisheries are capable of avoiding the harvest of endangered fish species through selective harvest practices, thereby often increasing access to harvestable populations. Current state policies often result in fisheries management decisions that constrain recreational fishing opportunities and seasons in favor of nontribal commercial fisheries incapable of selective harvest practices, thereby harming too many endangered fish and limiting access to harvestable populations.

(6) The legislature further finds that sports fishing is a billion dollar industry in Washington and the single largest source of funding to the department of fish and wildlife. The seventy-one million dollars generated by the buyers of recreational fishing licenses in the 2013-2015 fiscal biennium represents over nineteen percent of the department of fish and wildlife's total budget. By comparison, the commercial fishing industry only generated one and one-half million dollars in funding over the same time period to the department of fish and wildlife, which amounts to less than one-half of one percent of the agency's overall budget.

All license fees and tax revenues deposited into the state wildlife account that are received from specific user groups, including hunters, recreational fishers, and commercial fishers, may only be appropriated to, and used for, activities that directly support or benefit the user group from which the funds were received."​

#921093 - 01/31/15 05:44 PM Re: House Bill 1660 [Re: jspecc]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
It isn't going to pass. Trust me.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#921096 - 01/31/15 06:15 PM Re: House Bill 1660 [Re: Dogfish]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Originally Posted By: Dogfish

Tell us more !!! Oh gifted banker.............

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#921097 - 01/31/15 06:23 PM Re: House Bill 1660 [Re: jspecc]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

It just isn't. As much as I would like for it to pass I'm a realist.

#921099 - 01/31/15 06:59 PM Re: House Bill 1660 [Re: jspecc]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water
5) The legislature further finds that recreational fisheries are capable of avoiding the harvest of endangered fish species through selective harvest practices, thereby often increasing access to harvestable populations. Current state policies often result in fisheries management decisions that constrain recreational fishing opportunities and seasons in favor of nontribal commercial fisheries incapable of selective harvest practices, thereby harming too many endangered fish and limiting access to harvestable populations.

Here's one large problem with it, there's never been any long term studies done to back up this claim.

There's a sucker born every minute

#921127 - 01/31/15 10:40 PM Re: House Bill 1660 [Re: SBD]
Geoduck Offline
Returning Adult

Not sure studies are needed.

case in point, Willapa bay managment 1960-2014

#921136 - 02/01/15 08:31 AM Re: House Bill 1660 [Re: jspecc]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
Stop arguing amongst yourselves! This is a great opportunity to send a message if nothing else. Respond to the proposed law. If you think it's a good thing, tell your "elected" representatives. Tell them that you vote and are watching how "THEY" vote on this bill. Imagine if half the recreational fishermen did that? It may not pass, but with a huge response in favor of this, it just might embolden some legislatures to begin the conversation! There are 13 Representatives listed on the Bill. Here is a copy of my comments to my Legislatures'

I am encouraged in reading bill 1660! As a registered voter and an avid recreational fishermen, I fully support bill 1660. This action is long over due. Far too long the un-represented recreational fisher has taken a back seat to others with lobbies and money. It is time our fees are used exclusively to fund our sport. Further, the economic advantage of focusing efforts on recreational fishing will not only increase from Washington State citizens, but will attract dollars from outside the state from those wanting to enjoy the fishing without having to travel to more distant destinations. I applaud you for your courage to vote in favor of this this bill. You will no doubt find much opposition from money backed quarters. PLEASE STAND STRONG! WE ARE BEHIND YOU! I intend to publish a copy of the vote on all the fishing web sites so other registered voters can thank you for your support.

Edited by Bay wolf (02/01/15 08:59 AM)

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#921150 - 02/01/15 10:39 AM Re: House Bill 1660 [Re: Geoduck]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Originally Posted By: Geoduck
Not sure studies are needed.

case in point, Willapa bay managment 1960-2014

Case in point Willamette River 25 years of selective fishing..Results? Zilch

#921154 - 02/01/15 10:47 AM Re: House Bill 1660 [Re: jspecc]
Met'lheadMatt Offline
Spawner

Willamette river is a Washington watershed?. Has no bearing here. It is 150 miles of toxic waste dump, case in point.

#921155 - 02/01/15 10:52 AM Re: House Bill 1660 [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Originally Posted By: Met'lheadMatt
Willamette river is a Washington watershed?. Has no bearing here. It is 150 miles of toxic waste dump, case in point.

Sports fishing Mecca for Portland, you would think they would care just a little more.

#921162 - 02/01/15 11:08 AM Re: House Bill 1660 [Re: jspecc]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I fully support this, of course, but I also think it has no chance of passing.

That being said...it would be great to get the list of all those in the Legislature who vote against it, because I will bet you $100 all of them talk about "jobs" and "the economy" all the time, and will vote against both if they vote against this.

Why? Because they represent people who are bad for jobs and the economy, and those people donate to their elections and get them elected, that's why.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#921173 - 02/01/15 11:32 AM Re: House Bill 1660 [Re: jspecc]
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
Click the link. Click comment.
I used Baywolf's. Todd's above would be fun to send as well.
Thank you. Your bill comment was successfully sent.

Edited by GutZ (02/01/15 11:34 AM)

#921191 - 02/01/15 12:20 PM Re: House Bill 1660 [Re: SBD]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: SBD

Sports fishing Mecca for Portland, you would think they would care just a little more.

A little search and one can read up on the 12 miles of the river designated as a Superfund site; here is one source of info: http://www.willamette-riverkeeper.org/WRK/superfund.html

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#921223 - 02/01/15 02:31 PM Re: House Bill 1660 [Re: jspecc]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Calls and personal visits have more impact than emails, but every bit counts.

#921227 - 02/01/15 03:04 PM Re: House Bill 1660 [Re: Larry B]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Originally Posted By: Larry B
Originally Posted By: SBD

A little search and one can read up on the 12 miles of the river designated as a Superfund site; here is one source of info: http://www.willamette-riverkeeper.org/WRK/superfund.html

Tribes are making it work despite Hanford, the BPA and using non selective fishing methods to boot.......Amazing!!

#921235 - 02/01/15 03:15 PM Re: House Bill 1660 [Re: Dogfish]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Dogfish

Because a small number of non-treaty commercial fishermen and a couple seafood buyer/processors are better connected politically and financially and don't want to give up their welfare subsidy fishing, courtesy of WA state taxpayers.

#921337 - 02/02/15 08:58 AM Re: House Bill 1660 [Re: Bay wolf]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: Bay wolf
I applaud you for your courage to vote in favor of this this bill. You will no doubt find much opposition from money backed quarters. PLEASE STAND STRONG! WE ARE BEHIND YOU! I intend to publish a copy of the vote on all the fishing web sites so other registered voters can thank you for your support.

Well polished and nicely said.

They might have the money but we have the votes as some unemployed legislators have found out.

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#921522 - 02/03/15 02:02 PM Re: House Bill 1660 [Re: Lucky Louie]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
Be sure to call the legislative hotline, 800.562-6000 to support the bill. Ask your legislators to contact Brian.Blake@leg.wa.gov to have a hearing on HB1660.

#921526 - 02/03/15 02:39 PM Re: House Bill 1660 [Re: Salmo g.]
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Olympia, WA
Originally Posted By: Salmo g.

Because a small number of non-treaty commercial fishermen and a couple seafood buyer/processors are better connected politically and financially and don't want to give up their welfare subsidy fishing, courtesy of WA state taxpayers.

Besides the commercial fishing industry is so much more efficient in providing the complimentary seafood essential to a legislator's cocktail party. Like the theme from Ghost Busters, "When the party's on, and you need some fish, Who you gonna call?"

Is this practice going on now, I don't know. Has it gone on in the past? According to one of my hunting/fishing partners, who was a lobbyist in both Washingtons, it did, and it helped explain the symbiotic relationship between our elected leaders and the commercial fishing industry.

#921530 - 02/03/15 03:10 PM Re: House Bill 1660 [Re: jspecc]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I have contacted my two reps and the local Senator, too, for good measure...asking for their position on this bill and the explanation for their position.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |