Rate This Topic
#923675 - 02/25/15 02:39 PM North of Falcon--- 2015
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
February 25

Grays Harbor and Willapa Bay Fisheries Discussion
•6 p.m.- 8 p.m., Montesano City Hall, 112 N Main Street, Montesano
•WDFW presents salmon forecasts for Grays Harbor and Willapa Bay. Fishery management objectives and preliminary fishing opportunities for 2015 are discussed.

This meeting will give an indication of the way Region 6 management, views the upcoming season.

Let see if the WDFW Commission direction of "conservation 1st" is the what will take place in 2015?????

Sports fishermen needs to attend these meetings.........I'm sure the NT Gillnetters will be there in numbers, wanting to make sure their non-selective, nets of death get their chance to continue killing of fish.

Sportsmen your help is needed......tonight is the 1st of what could be many meetings. 2014 was a turn in how The Chehalis/Humptulips rivers in which conservation was a important point.

4/3, 4 days of nets......3 days NO NETS....allowed fish to get to the tribs and above the nets. This MUST BE retained!!!!!

Edited by Jerry Garcia (03/09/15 09:55 AM)

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#923687 - 02/25/15 04:42 PM Re: North of Falcon---1st meeting of 2015 [Re: DrifterWA]
rojoband Offline
Returning Adult

Thanks for the heads up on this, I have been to a few in the past and sincerely wish the Agency would video record the constituent meetings and post them to youtube. This would allow for those of us that can’t attend due to other commitments (I know flame on, but everyone has different schedules) it would be nice to be able to get caught up to speed about the issues and where things stand prior to the following meeting(s), when we might be able to make it. If you could pass that along it would be appreciated, and I will do the same when I can. However, big thanks to all those who are able and make the effort to attend. And finally:

Edited by rojoband (02/25/15 04:44 PM)

#923711 - 02/26/15 07:18 AM Re: North of Falcon---1st meeting of 2015 [Re: DrifterWA]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

My take away....

Not many people, in total numbers, but that said "sports far outnumbered NT netters.

Lot's of numbers given for Willapa and Chehalis/Humptulips.

Willapa will be a "timing problem", more direction is needed from the WDFW Commission, could run into a issue, getting all the seasons set within a "new Willapa plan".

NO SEASONS were decided, not for either bay or Humptulips.

Next meeting, in Olympia....MARCH 2...

March 2

2015 Salmon Forecasts and Fishing Opportunities
•9 a.m.-3 p.m., Room 172 of the Natural Resources Building, 1111 Washington St. SE, Olympia
•WDFW presents Puget Sound, coastal Washington and Columbia River salmon abundance forecasts. Fishery management objectives and preliminary fishing opportunities for 2015 are discussed.

#924152 - 03/04/15 06:12 AM Re: North of Falcon---1st meeting of 2015 [Re: DrifterWA]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

2nd Meeting-----March 2--Meeting in Olympia

Room was full but that said the meeting was for all Regions. 1st 1.5 hours spent giving "stocks information", all on salmon. Broke into groups, by Region, Region 6....4 sports, NO GILL NETTERS, 8 WDFW personnel.

No season setting was mentioned. Problem rivers....Hoh, Queets, Humptulips. Queets has gotten so bad that could affect PFMC. Humptulips, wild/natural Coho still a major problem, no direction given at this meeting. Hoh tribe not willing to work on problem, WDFW has major concerns, on Hoh tribe, might have to take different action......Chehalis tribe was also mentioned on the different action.

Left at noon......

#924487 - 03/09/15 01:21 AM Re: North of Falcon---1st meeting of 2015 [Re: DrifterWA]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Next one...

March 11

Grays Harbor Fisheries Discussion

6 p.m.-9 p.m., Montesano City Hall, 112 N Main Street, Montesano
Public discussion of Grays Harbor salmon forecasts and fishing opportunities.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#924490 - 03/09/15 06:19 AM Re: North of Falcon---1st meeting of 2015 [Re: DrifterWA]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Would like to change this title to

"North of Falcon, 2015"

Don't know how to edit title......help, help.....thanks

#924564 - 03/09/15 04:29 PM Re: North of Falcon---1st meeting of 2015 [Re: DrifterWA]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

thanks for the title change.......

I'm not on the "inner circle" but I attend all the meetings......some times I even get to speak.....

Would be nice to see more sports people at the meetings, always nice to get comments from "new people"......I've heard from many of the regulars, that I almost know what they are going to say.

Been nice not to have many gill netters at the meetings.....many of their comments are the same.....year, after year, after year.

Wednesday----Montesano City Hall....6:00 - 9:00, 2nd floor.

Probably no Chehalis Chinook fishery.....but could be 6 - 8 fish, daily limit Coho and jacks, some of the "inter circle guys" are working on a 2 pole/rod for the in-river fishermen.

Humptulips---trying for more fish in area 2C, think that wild/natural Coho are still not making escapement numbers.

I'd like to see January 31 as ending date for salmon.....Wishkah, Wynoochee, Chehalis, and Satsop.

Edited by DrifterWA (03/09/15 04:36 PM)

#924809 - 03/10/15 08:13 PM Re: North of Falcon---1st meeting of 2015 [Re: DrifterWA]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Don't forget.......6 - 9 pm, Montesano City Hall......No Willapa stuff, so if you want something in the rest of Region 6.....better be there to "blow your own honk".....

Sports....If you fish the Chehalis or the tribs....remember that 4/3 probably had a lot to do with the great fishing above 101, last season.

Be there to voice your opinions.

#924935 - 03/12/15 06:55 AM Re: North of Falcon---1st meeting of 2015 [Re: DrifterWA]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

NOF....Wednesday, Montesano

Present.....15 sportsmen, 1 NT Netter, 6 WDFW persons

Talked about area 2C, Humptulips runs into 2C. Has Chinook available, numbers kicked around.....3 adults but backed off to 2.

Humptulips still has problem with Native Coho, so no fishery on Native Coho. Many sportsmen concerned about "lack of a plan", to help Native Coho make numbers. 20+ years and counting.

Humptulips, Chinook 1 and 1 hatchery Coho, at this time.

Chehalis, only real talk.....May 1 opening on springers.

Wynoochee....Salmon opener, October 1....to protect Chinook, Coho limit same as last year. WDFW has 12/31 as closing date....I want 1/31 because there are Coho available.

Some upper areas of the upper Chehalis, need protection from "improper fishing" techniques being used". More later on this.

Edited by DrifterWA (03/12/15 06:57 AM)

#924938 - 03/12/15 08:07 AM Re: North of Falcon--- 2015 [Re: DrifterWA]
Swifty27 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tri-Cities, WA
For any eastsiders, just a reminder about the upcoming meetings.

I didn't make it last year. Here's the information from 2013 if you want to know roughly what to expect.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/northfalcon/2013_east_mcnary_presentation.pdf
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/northfalcon/2013_ne_mcnary_meeting_agenda.pdf

Quote:

The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) annual salmon fishing season setting process includes two public meetings in eastern Washington - March 24 in Clarkston and March 25 in Kennewick.

The Tuesday, March 24, meeting runs 6 - 8 p.m. at Walla Walla Community College's Main Lecture Hall, 1470 Bridge Street, in Clarkston.

The Wednesday, March 25, meeting runs 6 - 8 p.m. at the Benton Public Utility District (PUD) building, 2721 W. 10th Ave. in Kennewick.

Both meetings will include discussion of and public comment on 2015 Columbia and Snake River and tributaries fishery management objectives and preliminary options for spring, summer and fall sport fisheries.

WDFW Regional Fish Program Managers -- John Whalen of Spokane, John Easterbrooks of Yakima, and Jeff Korth of Ephrata -- note that over the next several weeks, state and tribal co-managers will develop seasons that focus fishing opportunities on abundant hatchery and healthy wild salmon populations.

They explain the first step is meeting conservation objectives for depressed wild salmon stocks, but several of this year's forecasts indicate those goals can be met and still have strong fisheries. The forecasts for spring, summer, and fall Chinook and sockeye are similar to last year's returns.

Complete information about salmon forecasts, the statewide meeting schedule, and on-line comment submission is available at http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/northfalcon/ .

All input will be considered as the season-setting process moves into the "North of Falcon" and Pacific Fisheries Management Council (PFMC) meetings, which will determine the final 2015 salmon seasons at an April 11-16 meeting in California.

#924939 - 03/12/15 08:10 AM Re: North of Falcon--- 2015 [Re: DrifterWA]
Swifty27 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tri-Cities, WA
Urgh, links don't work. I've got the files if anyone really wants them. I can email them.

#926155 - 03/29/15 01:00 PM Re: North of Falcon---1st meeting of 2015 [Re: rojoband]
Swing r Die Offline
Smolt

Originally Posted By: rojoband
Thanks for the heads up on this, I have been to a few in the past and sincerely wish the Agency would video record the constituent meetings and post them to youtube. This would allow for those of us that can’t attend due to other commitments (I know flame on, but everyone has different schedules) it would be nice to be able to get caught up to speed about the issues and where things stand prior to the following meeting(s), when we might be able to make it. If you could pass that along it would be appreciated, and I will do the same when I can. However, big thanks to all those who are able and make the effort to attend. And finally:

I agree 1000%.

#926156 - 03/29/15 01:03 PM Re: North of Falcon---1st meeting of 2015 [Re: DrifterWA]
Swing r Die Offline
Smolt

Originally Posted By: DrifterWA
2nd Meeting-----March 2--Meeting in Olympia

Room was full but that said the meeting was for all Regions. 1st 1.5 hours spent giving "stocks information", all on salmon. Broke into groups, by Region, Region 6....4 sports, NO GILL NETTERS, 8 WDFW personnel.

No season setting was mentioned. Problem rivers....Hoh, Queets, Humptulips. Queets has gotten so bad that could affect PFMC. Humptulips, wild/natural Coho still a major problem, no direction given at this meeting. Hoh tribe not willing to work on problem, WDFW has major concerns, on Hoh tribe, might have to take different action......Chehalis tribe was also mentioned on the different action.

Hi Drifter,

Thanks you VERY much for the all the important updates.

I'm very interested in hearing more details about the issues with the Queets & Hoh including the tribe.

#926157 - 03/29/15 01:08 PM Re: North of Falcon---1st meeting of 2015 [Re: DrifterWA]
Swing r Die Offline
Smolt

Drifter WA

Thank you very much for the updates.

Could you elaborate more on the issues concerning the Queets, Hoh, Hoh tribe.?

Thank you very much

#926158 - 03/29/15 01:12 PM Re: North of Falcon---1st meeting of 2015 [Re: DrifterWA]
Swing r Die Offline
Smolt

It's so frustrating that mangers are making these NOR estimates on the Hump.

This river has been managed as a hatchery/harvest Fishery for decades.

#926159 - 03/29/15 01:16 PM Re: North of Falcon---1st meeting of 2015 [Re: DrifterWA]
Swing r Die Offline
Smolt

It's ridiculous that there is a fishery for " Chehalis spring Chonook"!

This needs to END! Anyone who knows anything about the current status of this stock would agree.

Not to mention all the Kelts that are encountered. Unreal!

#926160 - 03/29/15 01:17 PM Re: North of Falcon---1st meeting of 2015 [Re: DrifterWA]
Swing r Die Offline
Smolt

Sorry about the typo I meant "Chehalis Spring Chinook".

#926180 - 03/29/15 04:33 PM Re: North of Falcon---1st meeting of 2015 [Re: Swing r Die]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
Quote:

This needs to END! Anyone who knows anything about the current status of this stock would agree.

Ah, if you would like the preseason forecast with the harvest / escapement and run reconstruction data from 1982 to 2014 just PM me and I will send it to you. I think you would find it helpful in getting facts straight.

#926298 - 03/30/15 08:50 PM Re: North of Falcon---1st meeting of 2015 [Re: Rivrguy]
Swing r Die Offline
Smolt

Originally Posted By: Rivrguy
Quote:

Ah, if you would like the preseason forecast with the harvest / escapement and run reconstruction data from 1982 to 2014 just PM me and I will send it to you. I think you would find it helpful in getting facts straight.

Riverguy,

I respect you a lot, more than probably anyone on here. Reading your posts are such a pleasure to read. It's very kind and thoughtful of you to put so much time into getting all the info out to the folks on this site.

I've been involved with stock assessment for this stock. Mainly, the wynoochee, satsop, and tribs upstream to Oakville. Escapement during the past 3 years on these tribs is very low. Are there more productive tribs upstream of oakville that host larger populations of springers?

What hatchery programs support this fishery?

Maybe I'm missing something...?

#926299 - 03/30/15 09:12 PM Re: North of Falcon---1st meeting of 2015 [Re: Swing r Die]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Originally Posted By: TwoHandedAddict

Maybe I'm missing something...?

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 978 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |