THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#926301 - 03/30/15 09:22 PM Re: North of Falcon---1st meeting of 2015 [Re: Swing r Die]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Originally Posted By: TwoHandedAddict
Drifter WA

Thank you very much for the updates.

Could you elaborate more on the issues concerning the Queets, Hoh, Hoh tribe.?

Thank you very much

Was told at a NOF meeting that the Hoh continues to NOT make escapement. Seems that the tribe doesn't feel there is a problem or don't really care. Seems that there is a increase in the net time, when it should be the opposite.

Was told at the same meeting that the Queets has a problem with Coho, so much so that it could affect PFMC. Haven't heard much about the PFMC, and which of the 3 options is the "chosen one".

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#926305 - 03/30/15 09:50 PM Re: North of Falcon---1st meeting of 2015 [Re: Swing r Die]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...

What hatchery programs support this fishery?

Mother Nature......

At one time the Chehalis tribe was going to do something to raise some springers, in hatchery that was being built....have heard NOTHING but then I haven't asked.

I've given some thought to spend some time, this year, trying to catch a Chehalis Springer.....season 5/1 - 6/30....maybe???????

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#926306 - 03/30/15 09:52 PM Re: North of Falcon---1st meeting of 2015 [Re: Dan S.]
Swing r Die Offline
Smolt

Originally Posted By: Dan S.

Maybe I'm missing something...?

it looks like you come on here to play games. Get a life man.

#926307 - 03/30/15 09:58 PM Re: North of Falcon---1st meeting of 2015 [Re: DrifterWA]
Swing r Die Offline
Smolt

Originally Posted By: DrifterWA

Mother Nature......

At one time the Chehalis tribe was going to do something to raise some springers, in hatchery that was being built....have heard NOTHING but then I haven't asked.

I've given some thought to spend some time, this year, trying to catch a Chehalis Springer.....season 5/1 - 6/30....maybe???????

I wonder what the quota/guidelines are for this years fishery?

Escapement goal is around 1400 if I'm not mistaken. I doubt there is actually much of a surplus... If it opens I hope there is actually some monitoring by enforcement.

#926309 - 03/30/15 09:59 PM Re: North of Falcon---1st meeting of 2015 [Re: DrifterWA]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
I'll bonk a couple this year just to bug you.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#926310 - 03/30/15 10:02 PM Re: North of Falcon---1st meeting of 2015 [Re: DrifterWA]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Mother Nature......

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#926311 - 03/30/15 10:04 PM Re: North of Falcon---1st meeting of 2015 [Re: DrifterWA]
Swing r Die Offline
Smolt

Dan S

It wouldn't bother me at all.

#926312 - 03/30/15 10:06 PM Re: North of Falcon---1st meeting of 2015 [Re: DrifterWA]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Let me know when, DW, and I'll volunteer some of my swimmer Kwiks and MagLips... as close as you'll get to a 2-rod endorsement!

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#926324 - 03/31/15 06:22 AM Re: North of Falcon---1st meeting of 2015 [Re: Swing r Die]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
Quote:

Escapement goal is around 1400 if I'm not mistaken. I doubt there is actually much of a surplus... If it opens I hope there is actually some monitoring by enforcement.

3616 is the preseason forecast. Escapement goal is 1400 leaving 2216 harvestable. 212 is the average combined QIN / REC / Chehalis tribe catch from 2000 to 2012. I doubt the Chehalis Tribe numbers are correct. Draw your own conclusions.

Edited by Rivrguy (03/31/15 06:23 AM)

#926363 - 03/31/15 06:31 PM Re: North of Falcon---1st meeting of 2015 [Re: Swing r Die]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Dan S

If it does, you can just PM the mods and squeal on me.............

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#926366 - 03/31/15 07:24 PM Re: North of Falcon---1st meeting of 2015 [Re: Dan S.]
dwatkins Offline
I'm Idaho!

Originally Posted By: Dan S.
Dan S

If it does, you can just PM the mods and squeal on me.............

yuck if that happened. sick

#926525 - 04/04/15 10:13 PM Re: North of Falcon---1st meeting of 2015 [Re: DrifterWA]
Chasin' Baitman Offline
Returning Adult

Sounds like some dramatic developments at NOF:

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sport...ng-a-crescendo/

I like the stand tony floor (and the F&W advisory board) is taking...even if I don't fully understand it! smile

If this has been covered earlier I apologize. But when he says "We’re giving 75 percent of our stake on these four wild chinook stocks of concern"...what is he referring to?

#926535 - 04/05/15 10:21 AM Re: North of Falcon---1st meeting of 2015 [Re: DrifterWA]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
The Chinook runs of concern this year (predicted to be over-harvested according to the model run) are the Nooksack and White River spring/early stocks and the Skagit, Lake Washington, Puyallup, Nisqually, Mid-Hood Canal, and Skokomish summer/fall stocks.

Lake Washington Chinook has been the "poster child" the past couple of years. In 2014, the non-tribal fleet absorbed the majority of ESA impacts when 75% of the impacts were tribal. The same is true of most other Puget Sound Chinook stocks.

The 2015 Adult Equivalent Impacts and Exploitation rates for Lake Washington Chinook show a tribal impact of 74% and a NT impact of 26%. The tribal impact on Lake Washington Chinook from the ocean to Cedar River is 186 fish out of a total projected take of 253 and 132 of those fish are taken in the extreme terminal and freshwater net fisheries.

Edited by bushbear (04/05/15 11:10 AM)
Edit Reason: word smithing

#926541 - 04/05/15 11:55 AM Re: North of Falcon---1st meeting of 2015 [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
rojoband Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: Chasin' Baitman
Sounds like some dramatic developments at NOF:

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sport...ng-a-crescendo/

I like the stand tony floor (and the F&W advisory board) is taking...even if I don't fully understand it! smile

If this has been covered earlier I apologize. But when he says "We’re giving 75 percent of our stake on these four wild chinook stocks of concern"...what is he referring to?

From the link: During this closed meeting with about 40 sport fishing advisory board members all voted unanimously to not “cave into” the tribe’s wants and needs moving forward.

“If you saw the preseason plan on how many fish the tribes will catch, they have at least more than doubled their catches of these four wild chinook stocks of concern, and then they want us to give more?” Floor said. “No it is not going to happen and we have drawn a line in the sand even if this means going to court so be it.”

So who decides if the state goes to court over fishing season's with the tribes? This 40 person group? The fish & wildlife dept staff? The fish & wildlife commission? The governor? Who essentially makes the final decision here if it comes to this? Anyone know?

#926543 - 04/05/15 12:23 PM Re: North of Falcon---1st meeting of 2015 [Re: rojoband]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope

Lot of ways but in reality it is the AG & Governor.

#926559 - 04/05/15 04:57 PM Re: North of Falcon---1st meeting of 2015 [Re: DrifterWA]
ondarvr Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Spokane WA
I was at the meeting, the private session was for all sportsman in attendance to speak their mind without WDFD or the tribes sitting in. It didn't last long, just long enough to say we weren't going to offer up any more cuts on impact on our end. As mentioned, the tribal impact was 74% and ours was 26%, if we (sportsman) shut down our entire fishery in Puget sound it wouldn't have a huge reduction in impact.

It wasn't a hostile meeting, it was more frustration on the sportsman's side as to the disparity in impact and still being asked to give more.

The tribes need to figure out a way to reduce it on their end too.

The reason for stopping the in-season management was because after collecting all the data for many years it showed that the sportsman's influence on impact was so low that it didn't make a difference. Plus it cost a great deal of money to manage and track it, which could be better spent elsewhere.

No body wants this to go to court, the last time a judge made a ruling it stated that the first priority was conservation of the salmon, next was tribal ceremonial catch, then tribal netting, then non tribal netting, last was sport fishing. So going to court is costly and risky. If a court needs to determine what user group gets fish, we may be left out.

#926562 - 04/05/15 07:12 PM Re: North of Falcon---1st meeting of 2015 [Re: DrifterWA]
Chasin' Baitman Offline
Returning Adult

thanks for the info and update bushbear and ondarvr. That does give more context.

Do the tribes agree that their impact is 74%? If so, what is their logic for demanding that sporties give more?

In the article, Tony Floor says that the big tribe to get an agreement from is the Muckleshoots. IIRC last year that tribe recommended there be NO summer sportfishing season for puget sound chinook. What is the likelihood they will actually come to an agreement?

So if they can't, what are the next steps for resolution...governor, and failing that, federal court?

#927213 - 04/15/15 09:41 AM Re: North of Falcon---1st meeting of 2015 [Re: DrifterWA]
rojoband Offline
Returning Adult

So is this how it ended:

Originally Posted By: bota2
Sorry if this is old news

BREAKING NEWS
FISHING SEASONS SEVERELY CUT IN WASHINGTON STATE
Not sure if you’ve heard the news yet but North of Falcon is just wrapping up in California. The Muckelshoot Tribe successfully arm-twisted WDFW to accept one of the most restrictive packages for sport salmon fishing in Puget Sound since the ESA listings back in the late 90’s. Former Director Phil Anderson agreed to the deal and convinced new Director Jim Unsworth to take the deal.
Area 10 - no fishing for Chinook.
Area 9 - quota cut in half which will mean about a one week season.
British Columbia will be the big winner here as Northwest sports fishermen take their American dollars north for quality fishing.
Read the CCA Article on the WDFW Budget Update – Are you ready for a fee increase on your license renewal? Governor Jay Inslee and WDFW feel this is a good way to close a projected $10M biennial shortfall.

#927215 - 04/15/15 10:10 AM Re: North of Falcon---1st meeting of 2015 [Re: DrifterWA]
RB3 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Take all of the people out and let a robot do this. No arm twisting or bribery to be concerned about. BCS version of NOF.

#927218 - 04/15/15 11:16 AM Re: North of Falcon---1st meeting of 2015 [Re: DrifterWA]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Maybe Senator Pearson needs to have another public hearing where the new Director can explain this one.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chromeo, Colluvium, lat59, m wilson, phishkellar, TBJ
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 926 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645358 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |