Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#923568 - 02/23/15 08:18 PM New Nisqually Steelhead Counting System
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Recently heard of a new Steelhead camera counting system set up on the Nisqually River. I'm not 100% sure, but I think It is sponsered by the Tribe in cooperation w/ Centralia City Light? Anyone know any more details? Would be interesting to hear what kind of numbers may be returning.

#923574 - 02/23/15 09:15 PM Re: New Nisqually Steelhead Counting System [Re: RUNnGUN]
Angler 77 Offline
Fry

I don't know a thing but hope someone here does.

#923576 - 02/23/15 09:38 PM Re: New Nisqually Steelhead Counting System [Re: RUNnGUN]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Here is a bit of information.
The facts aren't all correct for an article date Dec 2014.
Sportsmen stopped fishing the Nisqually for steelhead seven year ago?
That is news to me.

http://nwifc.org/2014/12/nisqually-tribe-using-new-fish-camera-keep-close-eye-weak-steelhead-run/

#923585 - 02/24/15 02:58 AM Re: New Nisqually Steelhead Counting System [Re: stonefish]
Rag N Steel Offline
Feel Free to make small talk ;)

Loc: South MILF Hill
Good news... They should install something like this in every PS river. Even better have a link set up so the public can watch to.

Edited by Rag N Steel (02/24/15 03:00 AM)

www.badcatboats.com

#923607 - 02/24/15 04:40 PM Re: New Nisqually Steelhead Counting System [Re: RUNnGUN]
RB3 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Whew thought the new counting system involved removing fish from gillnets

#923610 - 02/24/15 06:24 PM Re: New Nisqually Steelhead Counting System [Re: RUNnGUN]
Happy Birthday Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
They've been using sonar since at least the 80s in the Fraser. One very big problem will be fish ID. For something like steelhead there is a weight range of probably 5-20+ pounds; probably more than most salmon stocks.

Another issue they had on the Fraser was that the fish also went downstream. Each time they passed the unit, they got counted.

The use of these sonars is a great step if they accompanied by ground truthing.

#923612 - 02/24/15 07:05 PM Re: New Nisqually Steelhead Counting System [Re: RUNnGUN]
milt roe Offline
Spawner

Loc: tacoma
Part of the responsibility of actively managing fish is putting forth the effort neccessary to verifiy how that management is working. Sonar grids, smolt traps, spawner surveys, passage monitoring,tagging programs used to be much more common. My first jobs after college were smolt trapping and spawner surveys. Most of those efforts have fallen victim to budget cuts, yet we continue to manage fish stocks right up to or past what is responsible given the greater uncertainties from the lack of quality data. Good for the Nisqually Tribe for trying to do better.

#923613 - 02/24/15 07:15 PM Re: New Nisqually Steelhead Counting System [Re: RUNnGUN]
River Nutrients

I would say that if you are unwilling to do the monitoring of a resource then you don't harvest it.

#923643 - 02/25/15 07:22 AM Re: New Nisqually Steelhead Counting System [Re: RUNnGUN]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Many AK streams have and still do set up temporary weirs across rivers to effectively trap and hand count runs of fish. The knowledge of species, run size averages and timing have been huge to manage AK sytems. Problem here is winter high waters would blow out any such thing. Something else to add, the last couple of years the Nisqually Tribe has set up a huge chain across the river at the tank crossing. They attach pvc slats on it forming a weir of sort blocking up stream navigation. Either side has a chute with a trap, and they hand count, sort and release wild salmon above and keep all hatchery fish from migrating above. Not sure if that is installed during the winter because of high water issues?

#923648 - 02/25/15 09:00 AM Re: New Nisqually Steelhead Counting System [Re: RUNnGUN]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

RunnGun,

The weir is in place on the Nisqually in late summer through early fall to separate hatchery and wild chinook. It wouldn't stay in place through winter flows, but it's not necessary during steelhead season since all steelhead are wild, except for some possible stray hatchery fish, which are not likely to venture this far south in the Sound.

It will be interesting if the sonar counter works out in the Centralia fish ladder.

Sg

#923657 - 02/25/15 10:25 AM Re: New Nisqually Steelhead Counting System [Re: stonefish]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: stonefish
Here is a bit of information.
The facts aren't all correct for an article date Dec 2014.
Sportsmen stopped fishing the Nisqually for steelhead seven year ago?
That is news to me.

http://nwifc.org/2014/12/nisqually-tribe-using-new-fish-camera-keep-close-eye-weak-steelhead-run/

I'm not sure of the exact date that WDFW closed steelhead fishing on the Nisqually but here is a link that clearly indicates that it was closed prior to 2003:

https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/erules/erule.jsp?id=31

And while the tribe may say that they don't harvest steelhead the fact is that there is some incidental take which has occurred during their chum fishery.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#923662 - 02/25/15 11:13 AM Re: New Nisqually Steelhead Counting System [Re: RUNnGUN]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Larry,
The Nisqually closed to steelhead fishing in 1993.
We generally caught the majority of our steelhead in March and April.
Lots of fun on that river back in the day.

The article is only off by 14 years. No reason for them to let facts get in the way.
SF

#923668 - 02/25/15 01:13 PM Re: New Nisqually Steelhead Counting System [Re: stonefish]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Larry,

The article is only off by 14 years. No reason for them to let facts get in the way.
SF

Thanks for the specificity on the date. I knew it was prior to even the 1993 date as I, too, enjoyed that Spring steelhead fishery and was very disappointed when it was closed. While I did make the float down from McKenna once most of my effort was from above the tank crossing down to Handicap - a nice float.

#923695 - 02/25/15 07:40 PM Re: New Nisqually Steelhead Counting System [Re: stonefish]
GPS Offline
Parr

Larry,

SF

Wasn't it closed (or closed early) for 2 or 3 years, then had one good return, then that was it? IIRC it went something like that...?

#923731 - 02/26/15 02:20 PM Re: New Nisqually Steelhead Counting System [Re: RUNnGUN]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

The Nisqually was last open to steelhead fishing in 1993, the one and only year I fished it.

Sg

#923735 - 02/26/15 02:31 PM Re: New Nisqually Steelhead Counting System [Re: RUNnGUN]
River Nutrients

So It's your fault it was closed?

#923843 - 02/27/15 04:12 PM Re: New Nisqually Steelhead Counting System [Re: RUNnGUN]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

I had a picture published in the now defunct Fishing & Hunting News of Scott Tveten with a nice fish from the Nisqually - probably in the early 80s as Tveten was young, unmarried, bearded and skinny. So blame it on Scott!

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 345 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645367 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |