Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#925481 - 03/20/15 02:39 PM WDFW Commission Reshuffle
Chasin' Baitman Offline
Returning Adult

Just saw this ons NWS:

Quote:

RichL/SSR reports Kim Thorburn/Spokane, Dave Graybill/Central WA will be new WA Fish-Wildlife Commissioners; Wecker to resign.

Sad that Wecker will be resigning. She has been a great commissioner. Graybill is a good choice (for us sporties). Not sure about Thorburn. I do see she's an avid birder.

Where is this extra commissioner slot coming from? With Wecker leaving that leaves only one opening, not two.

#925483 - 03/20/15 03:58 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
There has been two "eastern Washington" vacancies for sometime.

I assume that Thoroburn and Graybill would be filling those vacancies and with Wecker leaving there will be another.

I agree that Commissioner Wecker will be missed; she has done an excellent job and seemed to bend over backwards to assure that everyone regardless of their take on an issue had a fair opportunity. On those times that I have testified before the commissioners I thought were questions reflected an understanding of the issue and that she had given them careful thought.

I wish her well in her next efforts.

Curt

#925487 - 03/20/15 05:07 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Rollie Schmitten, from E WA, decided not to pursue reappointment.

#925491 - 03/20/15 05:49 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Carcassman]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
NEWS RELEASE
Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov/commission/
March 20, 2015
Governor announces two appointments
to Fish and Wildlife Commission
OLYMPIA - Gov. Jay Inslee has appointed fishing columnist Dave Graybill and retired public health physician Kim Thorburn to the Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission.
The commission is a nine-member citizen panel that sets policy for the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW). Members are appointed by the governor to six-year terms and are subject to state Senate confirmation. Three members must reside in eastern Washington, three in western Washington, and three may live anywhere in the state. No two members may live in the same county.
"We're extremely pleased to welcome these great additions to the commission," said Brad Smith, commission chair. "These are two strong individuals and we are looking forward to seeing their perspectives brought to the table."
The governor appointed Graybill, also known as the Fishin' Magician, to a term ending Dec. 31, 2020. Graybill, an avid angler who lives in Leavenworth, writes sport fishing columns for Washington newspapers and has a regular radio broadcast. A long-time Washington resident, Graybill participates in several outdoors organizations, including the Icicle Valley Chapter of Trout Unlimited and the Coastal Conservation Association. He also has served on the Columbia River Salmon and Steelhead Endorsement Board. Graybill is a graduate of the University of Washington. The governor appointed Graybill to succeed Rollie Schmitten, of Leavenworth, who did not seek re-appointment when his term expired at the beginning of this year.
Inslee also appointed Thorburn, of Spokane, to fill a vacant eastern Washington position that runs through 2016. Thorburn has degrees from Stanford University and the University of California at San Francisco. She previously worked as a professor of medicine for the University of Hawaii, as the director for Spokane Regional Health District and, most recently, as the medical director for Planned Parenthood of the Inland Northwest. Thorburn has held offices for the Spokane Audubon Society and Washington Ornithological Society and was the recipient of WDFW's 2010 Volunteer of the Year award for her efforts to help bring sage grouse and sharp-tailed grouse back to Lincoln County.
The commission is meeting Friday and Saturday, March 20 and 21, in Moses Lake. For more information on the commission, visit http://wdfw.wa.gov/commission/ .

#925499 - 03/20/15 07:32 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Quote:

RichL/SSR reports Kim Thorburn/Spokane, Dave Graybill/Central WA will be new WA Fish-Wildlife Commissioners; Wecker to resign.

"Sad that Wecker will be resigning. "

I wouldn't count her out just yet.....

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#925508 - 03/20/15 09:05 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: eyeFISH]
Chasin' Baitman Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: eyeFISH

Quote:

"Sad that Wecker will be resigning. "

I wouldn't count her out just yet.....

Well I *hope* that means she's resigning to take up a different position within WDFW. It seems strange that she would be up for confirmation last year, then resign this year.

#925512 - 03/20/15 10:08 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Methinks the guv and his "staff" are being rather presumptive and premature about that announcement.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#925513 - 03/20/15 10:38 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
I thought she was giving up the chair but was going to serve out her appointment

#925514 - 03/20/15 10:47 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Miranda's commission term expires 12/31/2018 unless something changed

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#925524 - 03/21/15 10:14 AM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Lucky Louie]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: Lucky Louie

Unfortunately the Senate has not seen fit to vote on confirming her appointment simply allowing her to continue to serve - something she has done with great aplomb. I certainly hope that she continues on in her role as a Commissioner!

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#925541 - 03/21/15 02:06 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
I'd miss going to the Commission meetings, without Miranda Wecker. somewhere on the Commission. She always had control of any meetings I went to and was VERY knowledgeable about items on the agenda.

Thanks for your time.......hope you enjoy your time away or success in another field, if you choose.

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#925582 - 03/22/15 12:02 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Larry B]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: Larry B

Unfortunately the Senate has not seen fit to vote on confirming her appointment simply allowing her to continue to serve - something she has done with great aplomb. I certainly hope that she continues on in her role as a Commissioner!

http://www.tvw.org/index.php?option=com_tvwplayer&eventID=2014020148

Cue up video to 6:00 for the segment on MW's testimony for appointment/confirmation.

This was over a year ago.

She has selflessly served with distinction and grace WITHOUT formal confirmation for over a decade... 6 years as chair and 2 years as vice chair.

Any political pressure to remove her from the commission is horribly misguided. By public referendum, the whole framework for our states commission structure is intended to insulate that body and its members from direct political influence.

Obviously some politicians feel they are above the will of the people.

I would say more but I don't want to be too presumptive or premature.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#925585 - 03/22/15 01:45 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Apparently, the rumors of a pending resignation from the Commission by Miranda Wecker have some traction. I’ve been doing a little poking around and visiting with various contacts about reasons behind the possible departure of Commissioner Wecker. As has been mentioned in other posts on this thread, the Commission works for the people of the state and they are charged with managing our fish and wildlife resources. As such, they have to have the best interests of the resources as their driving responsibility and science, not politics, needs to be used in the decisions made. I think we have been seeing that sea change in our fish and wildlife management over the past few years. Some moves by the Commission haven’t been popular but they are for the overall good of a sound resource management program.

It is my understanding that a number of the Coastal Caucus legislators and in particular Blake, Hatfield, Hargrove are not happy with the way the Commission and, in this situation, Commissioner Wecker, have been working to re-build our fish and wildlife resources. It would appear that commercial interests have been pushing for a change. There are also political concerns over the excellent choice the Commission made for our new Director. It sounds like Director Unsworth was not the preferred candidate by the tribes and the Governor’s office. It looks to me like political pressure is being applied and Commissioner Wecker may have been asked to resign. If so, that request is coming from the Governor’s office.

Governor Inslee saw fit to re-appoint Commissioner Wecker in 2013. He knew that he was getting a strong advocate for professional fish and wildlife management. Unfortunately, she has not been confirmed by the Senate for during her time with the Commission. Had she been approved, we wouldn’t be discussing her departure.

I did some digging into the statutes and rules that address appointive offices in state government and you can read them in the links below. My read is that the Governor could request Commissioner Wecker’s resignation. This would, of course, give him and those pushing for her removal political cover. If no letter of resignation is submitted, then, as I read the RCW and Senate Rules he would have to request a vote of the whole Senate to remove her from her seat on the Commission. I sincerely hope cooler heads prevail within the Senate and Commissioner Wecker be allowed to finish out her term as one of our Wildlife Commissioners.

I don’t know how the process will work out. I’m sure Commissioner Wecker will take the high road in the interests of fish and wildlife resource management and not the lower political route that is driving this issue.

If you would like to see Commissioner Wecker finish out her term, you should contact your state Senator's office. It would be nice if the Senate would vote to confirm her appointment and let her finish her term as a Commissioner.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=43.06

RCW 43.06.094
Gubernatorial appointees — Removal prior to confirmation.
Gubernatorial appointees subject to senate confirmation, other than those who serve at the governor's pleasure, may not be removed from office without cause by the governor prior to confirmation except upon consent of the senate as provided for by the rules of the senate.
[1981 c 338 § 1.]
http://leg.wa.gov/Senate/Administration/Pages/senate_rules.aspx#top

Confirmation of Gubernatorial Appointees
Rule 69.
When the names of appointees to state offices are transmitted to the secretary of the senate for senate confirmation, the communication from the governor shall be recorded and referred to the appropriate standing committee.
The standing committee, or subcommittee, pursuant to rule 42, shall require each appointee referred to the committee for consideration to complete the standard questionnaire to be used to ascertain the appointee's general background and qualifications. The committee may also require the appointee to complete a supplemental questionnaire related specifically to the qualifications for the position to which he has been appointed.
ny hearing on a gubernatorial appointment, held by the standing committee, or subcommittees, pursuant to rule 42, shall be a public hearing. The appointee may be required to appear before the committee on request. When appearing, the appointee shall be required to testify under oath or affirmation. The chair of the committee or the presiding member shall administer the oath or affirmation in accordance with RCW 44.16. (See also Article 2, Sec. 6 of the State Constitution.)
Nothing in this rule shall be construed to prevent a standing committee, or subcommittee, pursuant to rule 42, upon a two-thirds vote of its members, from holding executive sessions when considering an appointment.
When the committee on rules presents the report of the standing committee before the senate, the question shall be the confirmation of the name proposed, and the roll shall then be called and the yeas and nays entered upon the journal. In the event a message is received from the governor requesting return of an appointment or appointments to the office of the governor prior to confirmation, the senate shall vote upon the governor's request and the appointment or appointments shall be returned to the governor if the request is approved by a majority of the members elected or appointed. (Article 13 of the State Constitution.)

#925586 - 03/22/15 02:30 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: bushbear]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: bushbear
In the event a message is received from the governor requesting return of an appointment or appointments to the office of the governor prior to confirmation, the senate shall vote upon the governor's request and the appointment or appointments shall be returned to the governor if the request is approved by a majority of the members elected or appointed. (Article 13 of the State Constitution.)

I believe this is the key language to focus on.

The guv has to man up and actively retract his appointment... presumably with just cause citing why/where/how he made a mistake in the original appointment. The Senate would then have to vote in agreement that the appointment should be returned to the guv. I would think they too would have to cite just cause for doing so.... or at least make that discussion a part of the public record on their deliberations before voting.

Bullying a highly qualified commissioner out of the position in this manner is a LOW blow. She has served diligently and honorably for the past decade and the guv knows it.... otherwise he would NOT have re-appointed her in 2013. She has remained steadfast in this capacity, and there has been no change in her professional conduct in carrying out her duties as commissioner.

This is political BS pure and simple... exactly the kind of thing that Referendum 45 was intended to eliminate.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#925587 - 03/22/15 02:52 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

A resignation letter gives cover to the Governor and the legislators.

If the Governor doesn't get a resignation letter then, as I read Senate Rule 69, they have to vote on the request because there has not yet been a confirmation of the appointment.

"In the event a message is received from the governor requesting return of an appointment or appointments to the office of the governor

prior to confirmation,

the senate shall vote upon the governor's request..."

#925594 - 03/22/15 07:34 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

It is my understanding that a number of the Coastal Caucus legislators and in particular Blake, Hatfield, Hargrove are not happy with the way the Commission. If so, that request is coming from the Governor’s office.

Governor Inslee saw fit to re-appoint Commissioner Wecker in 2013.
If you would like to see Commissioner Wecker finish out her term, you should contact your state Senator's office. It would be nice if the Senate would vote to confirm her appointment

Blake, Hatfield, and Hargrove the commercial trifecta

It would not hurt to contact the governor also.

#925596 - 03/22/15 08:15 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

I see no reason for Commissioner Wecker to resign. She has been a strong advocate for our fish and wildlife resources for over a decade. Obviously, some folks don't appreciate the work and responsibilities faced by the Commission, who are working for all users of our state's fish and wildlife resources. I'd like to think that our Commissioners would not want to leave their post with the time left on their appointment without cause. I'm inclined to think the pressure is going up to and then coming out of the Governor's office.

In response to eyeFISH, if there was "cause" for removal then no vote would be necessary by the Senate. See the RCWs posted below:

RCW 43.06.070
Removal of appointive officers.
The governor may remove from office any state officer appointed by him or her not liable to impeachment, for incompetency, misconduct, or malfeasance in office.
[2009 c 549 § 5017; 1965 c 8 § 43.06.070. Prior: 1893 c 101 § 1; RRS § 10988.]

RCW 43.06.080
Removal of appointive officers — Statement of reasons to be filed.
Whenever the governor is satisfied that any officer not liable to impeachment has been guilty of misconduct, or malfeasance in office, or is incompetent, he or she shall file with the secretary of state a statement showing his or her reasons, with his or her order of removal, and the secretary of state shall forthwith send a certified copy of such order of removal and statement of causes by registered mail to the last known post office address of the officer in question.
[2009 c 549 § 5018; 1965 c 8 § 43.06.080. Prior: 1893 c 101 § 2; RRS § 10989.]

If there is "no cause", then there are two options available to the Governor/politicians. One is the letter of resignation that gives the politicians their "cover". The second is a public hearing and vote by the Senate, at the request of the Governor's office, on whether or not to keep the appointee in office. The second option takes away their "cover".

Contacts with your Senator and the Governor's office in support of Commissioner Wecker could turn the tide.

#925603 - 03/22/15 09:13 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

It would not hurt to send an e-mail to Miranda Wecker through the commission e mail to show support of her and hopefully her decision to finish her term.

If writing the governor, you might introduce yourself as one of the 800,000 plus sport anglers not supporting him in calling for commissioner Miranda Wecker resignation.

#925615 - 03/23/15 09:02 AM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Miranda has been a great asset to the commission. She always took time to explore the issues and on a number of occassions she pulled me aside for great chats at commission meetings. Personable and caring. We need more folks like that on the commission.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#925618 - 03/23/15 09:59 AM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

We need to try to keep her on the Commission through the end of her term. I don't think the "resignation" is her idea.

#925619 - 03/23/15 10:08 AM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
Perhaps a few letters to Miranda from us would be in order. Let her know that we appreciate what she does, and that we are troubled with the news of her "resignation". Also, it never hurts to contact the Gov's office and ask "What the #uck?"

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#925635 - 03/23/15 02:06 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: Bay wolf
Perhaps a few letters to Miranda from us would be in order.

I think a few letters to the guv and a select group of Senators might be more effective.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#925636 - 03/23/15 02:07 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

The Senate needs to hear from us as they are the ones who can keep her on the Commission or they can bend to the will/wants of the Governor and his friends. That will once again put politicians in control of our resources and not science.

#925637 - 03/23/15 02:11 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Lucky Louie]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

It would not hurt to send an e-mail to Miranda Wecker through the commission e mail to show support of her and hopefully her decision to finish her term.

If writing the governor, you might introduce yourself as one of the 800,000 plus sport anglers not supporting him in calling for commissioner Miranda Wecker resignation.

If interested, here are the e-mail addresses to contact:

Commission http://wdfw.wa.gov/commission/contact.html

Governor http://www-stage.governor.wa.gov/contact/default.asp

I'm all in for sending e-mails to State senators as well.

No pending word from commission staff on Commissioner Wecker decision or if there is even a decision to be made by her.

Edited by Lucky Louie (03/23/15 02:30 PM)

#925639 - 03/23/15 02:43 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

It wasn't/isn't her idea to resign. What it is, to me, is politics over science and most of us can remember how well that works.

#925658 - 03/23/15 07:12 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: bushbear]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

The Senate needs to hear from us as they are the ones who can keep her on the Commission

This would be a good place to start, guys...

http://leg.wa.gov/Senate/Senators/Pages/default.aspx

Find your Senators and click "e-mail" to fill out their individual e-mail utility. If you happen to choose the wrong Senator, the physical address you type into the utility should direct you to the correct one(s).

Besides the Senators from your district, you might send these key folks a copy of your message as well.

mark.schoesler@leg.wa.gov

kirk.pearson@leg.wa.gov

Mike.Hewitt@leg.wa.gov

Brian.Dansel@leg.wa.gov

Linda.Parlette@leg.wa.gov

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#925664 - 03/23/15 08:19 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Done.

#925672 - 03/23/15 08:45 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

BTW any PP'ers who belong to any of the other high-traffic fishing BB's, feel free to copy and paste my last post and disseminate accordingly.

The more the merrier!

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#925675 - 03/23/15 09:10 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Not sure how much good it will do to e-mail Hargrove and Hatfield out in my neck-o-the-woods.... but I'd sure like someone to prove me wrong.

Anyone?

We'll just have to remember to review their votes after this all blows over.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#925682 - 03/23/15 10:52 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

I sent Senator Hargrove the following note:

It has come to my attention that the Governor has requested a letter of resignation from WDFW Commissioner Miranda Wecker. It is extremely disconcerting for me to learn that politics appears to be involved. The request for her resignation is telling her and the Wildlife Commission that if they try to use good science in managing our state’s fish and wildlife resources and try to stay above the political jockeying that their positions are expendable.

Our fish and wildlife resources are worth billions of dollars and many jobs within our state. Referendum 45 was passed to ensure a free standing Commission to oversee the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife from an apolitical standpoint and on behalf of the citizens of the state.

I’ve worked with many Commissioners and wildlife administrators across the US and Canada. Commissioner Wecker has been one of the best. Her departure would be a real blow to our state’s fish and wildlife resources.

I would like to ask you to support the retention of Commissioner Wecker at least through the end of her current appointment. Had she been confirmed, I wouldn’t be writing this request.

Thank you.

#925683 - 03/23/15 11:16 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

You're obviously a better statesman than I could ever aspire to be!

I took a different roundabout route, appealing instead to the other senators listed above.

'Senators:

I’d like to call your attention to recent activity in the governor’s office seeking to remove Miranda Wecker from the Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission.

Governor Inslee saw fit to re-appoint Commissioner Wecker in 2013. He knew that he was getting a strong advocate for professional fish and wildlife management. Unfortunately, the Senate has not confirmed her appointment at any time during her 10-year tenure with the Commission. She has served diligently and honorably for the past decade. Since her re-appointment, Miranda has remained steadfast in this capacity, and there has been no substantive change in her professional conduct in carrying out her duties as commissioner to warrant removal.

Under her leadership, the Commission has ushered in many forward-thinking policies emphasizing the recovery and conservation of our fish and wildlife resources. She has been instrumental in helping to advance science-driven hatchery and harvest reforms in the state’s salmon fisheries, especially the ongoing implementation of selective fishing and HSRG principles. The dial is finally moving in the right direction at the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife due in no small part to her participation on the Commission.

She is highly respected by her professional peers on the Commission as well as public stakeholders, myself included. In short, she is an excellent Commissioner who deserves a fair shake to continue the good work she has selflessly devoted herself to over the past ten years. A select handful of your peers from the coast are likely the architects unfairly pressuring Governor Inslee to oust Commissioner Wecker from her post. This effort is horribly misguided and lacks merit. It should be exposed for exactly what it is, nothing more than intolerable political bullying.

More than ever, Miranda needs your support for confirmation once and for all. Can the people of Washington count on you?"

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#925684 - 03/23/15 11:55 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

applause

#925750 - 03/24/15 06:51 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: eyeFISH]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Well said, Doc

#925772 - 03/24/15 08:59 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

ROLL CALL... don't be shy now, who else is in?

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#925776 - 03/24/15 09:09 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

I did mine and have passed along the info to others.

#925779 - 03/24/15 10:23 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Covered my people and the Gov.......

#925784 - 03/25/15 06:01 AM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: DrifterWA]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Working on it but I think the most important is the GOV as the three amigos from down South aren't going to change.

#925795 - 03/25/15 09:40 AM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

The Gov is okay, but he's the one who asked for her resignation. It is the Senate who will decide the issue.

#925806 - 03/25/15 10:55 AM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Rivrguy]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: Rivrguy
Working on it but I think the most important is the GOV as the three amigos from down South aren't going to change.

I agree about the importance to contact the gov. Isn't he the one that has to request the senate to look at that situation? or is it automaticly referred to senate when a resignation is asked for and not received.

The three components that we are talking about:

1) Miranda Wecker--A quick note to her showing support so hopefully she doesn’t write the resignation letter. If she does, the other two components below are worthless.

2) Governor-- Miranda obviously is being pressured to resign from the governor because he is being pressured from outside influence. A message to the governor introducing yourself as one of 800,000 plus sport anglers not supporting the governor in this scenario would not hurt to try to neutralize this situation.

3) Senators— It appears that it would be a political blunder if the governor continued down the path to attempt to have her term dismissed by the senate, since she has not done anything wrong to begin with. If he takes that road, then seeking support from individual senators is appropriate.

What am I missing about contacting senators, are we going back to the Committee asking for confirmation of Miranda or preemptive measures or what?

#925807 - 03/25/15 10:57 AM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Soft bite Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Central Park
I'm in. Wrote to the governor asking him to support Commissioner Wecker. I also wrote the commission asking Commissioner Wecker to resist resignation and force the politicians to reveal themselves.

I think it is a waste of time to write Senator Hatfield although it is funny to watch him take the bait and put his foot in his mouth.

#925816 - 03/25/15 11:44 AM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Lucky Louie]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

From an earlier post in this thread - It is past the Nat. Res. committee. The full Senate is the deciding group.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=43.06

RCW 43.06.094
Gubernatorial appointees — Removal prior to confirmation.
Gubernatorial appointees subject to senate confirmation, other than those who serve at the governor's pleasure, may not be removed from office without cause by the governor prior to confirmation except upon consent of the senate as provided for by the rules of the senate.
[1981 c 338 § 1.]

#925847 - 03/25/15 04:43 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

If I’m reading it right, the governor asking for a resignation and not receiving it, he then has an option to ask the senate to get involved, instead of the refusal triggering an automatic request to the senate.

There is a big difference between asking for a resignation and not getting it and putting the governor’s head on the political chopping block by requesting the senate option.

IMO, the risk/reward factor seems terribly not in the governor’s favor if he would request to get the senate involved.

#925849 - 03/25/15 04:53 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: bushbear]
WN1A Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
I have a question for some of you who are more aware of the politics surrounding the commission than I am. Do you think those seeking her resignation are doing it because of fisheries issues or something else. I think she has been an excellent commissioner, knows the science and also how to deal with conflicting public interests. Recently a growing issue with WDFW and the commission has been the reintroduction and recovery efforts for Grizzly bears and wolves. Most of the state citizens have some opinion about this and many with the strongest opinions throughout the state have considerable political clout. Over the spectrum of opinions emotion seem to over rule science. If the commission represents the public it could be that good science is bad politics when it comes to this issue. I know from conversations with a friend who was on the commission that a lot of their more controversial work is not related to fishing and hunting directly.

#925850 - 03/25/15 04:57 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Lucky Louie]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

I agree about the importance to contact the gov. Isn't he the one that has to request the senate to look at that situation? or is it automaticly referred to senate when a resignation is asked for and not received.

The three components that we are talking about:

1) Miranda Wecker--A quick note to her showing support so hopefully she doesn’t write the resignation letter. If she does, the other two components below are worthless.

2) Governor-- Miranda obviously is being pressured to resign from the governor because he is being pressured from outside influence. A message to the governor introducing yourself as one of 800,000 plus sport anglers not supporting the governor in this scenario would not hurt to try to neutralize this situation.

3) Senators— It appears that it would be a political blunder if the governor continued down the path to attempt to have her term dismissed by the senate, since she has not done anything wrong to begin with. If he takes that road, then seeking support from individual senators is appropriate.

I’ve e-mailed to the three--- Miranda, and the governor days ago and written to my senator in my district along with the other senators on the list today.

#925856 - 03/25/15 05:30 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Lucky Louie]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Quote:
Do you think those seeking her resignation are doing it because of fisheries issues or something else.

It is about Willapa commercial fisheries & the three Amigos ( Blake, Hatfield, Takko) trying to get reform stopped.

Edited by Rivrguy (03/25/15 05:32 PM)

#925860 - 03/25/15 05:50 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

WN1A,

A lot of hunters and ranchers are very anti-wolf recovery, but I've not heard of any effort on their part to change the Commission. They would be at greater risk of getting new Commissioners even more adverse to their positions. The commercial fishing industry has been anti-Commission since the old WDF and WDG merged in 1995. A Commission dilutes special interest influence compared to a Gov-appointed Director, where direct lobbying and campaign contributions have greater effect.

Sg

#925881 - 03/26/15 07:45 AM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

WN1A -
I agree in the 40 years that I have watched commission (in its several forms) Miranda Wecker has been as fine as a commissioner as I have seen. Her knowledge, interests, courtesy, and professionalism has been beyond reproach.

Over the last decade the commission has taken a wide variety of very thorny wild issues and in the process of doing so given the passion and emotions surrounding those issues it is certainty than many would end up being upset. However the flip side of that coin is that the commission has been doing its job stepping up to the plate to discussion and ultimately deciding on courses of action. The commission under her leadership has do so with professionalism and gone about gathering the data and information to make informed decision. It goes without saying that in doing so some folks will be unhappy and over the broad scope issues they cover it is unlikely that few of us would agree with each and every decision. That does not mean they have not been doing their job (and doing it well) but exactly the opposite.

The ultimate test is the answer to the question of whether the fish and wildlife resources (as a total) and ultimately the users that rely on that resource doing better or worst as a result of their actions.

If the citizens and wildlife of this state are so unfortunately to loss Wecker's serve on the commission early my hope she will leave with her head held high and with pride of a job well done!

Curt

#925941 - 03/26/15 02:10 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Olympia ????????? Got lots to do, right now......public schools, culverts, and 100's of other things that NEED TO GET DONE!!!!!!

I'm predicting "special session", more of the tax payers monies pissed away because our elected Senators and Representatives can't stay "on task" and do the MORE important things.

I've written Hatfield, Takko, Blake, and Governor Inslee.......no answer yet but I like email....2nd mailing will go out Saturday, then a 3rd, a 4th...I will get an answer.

Sport fishermen need to believe that the present Commission has done a very good job working/forming policies for the conservation of wild fish. Miranda Wacker in her position as Chairman is to be commended for her leadership.

#926036 - 03/27/15 08:42 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Chasin' Baitman Offline
Returning Adult

I emailed a gaggle of politicians, and am spreading the word. Wecker needs to stay on the commission.

#926043 - 03/27/15 10:43 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Just read on NWS a follow up story about commissioner Miranda Wecker.

http://nwsportsmanmag.com/

Excellent read for those that take the time.

#926086 - 03/28/15 03:25 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Rivrguy]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Quote:
Do you think those seeking her resignation are doing it because of fisheries issues or something else.

It is about Willapa commercial fisheries & the three Amigos ( Blake, Hatfield, Takko) trying to get reform stopped.

A quote from the article in NWS that is written by Andy Walgamott,

“Recently, the commission has been working on Willapa Bay salmon conservation and harvest management strategies, with a decision on a new framework tentatively scheduled to be made at its April 9 meeting.

Postman, the governor’s spokesman, claimed that the decision about Wecker’s resignation was “not about politics or policy,” nor an “attempt to mute any group’s voice on the commission.”

It appears it could be bullying, harassment, and intimidation aimed at a commissioner, and the commission as a whole, by certain legislators through the governor’s office.

#926094 - 03/28/15 08:31 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Lucky Louie]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...

Quote:

A quote from the article in NWS that is written by Andy Walgamott,

“Recently, the commission has been working on Willapa Bay salmon conservation and harvest management strategies, with a decision on a new framework tentatively scheduled to be made at its April 9 meeting.

Postman, the governor’s spokesman, claimed that the decision about Wecker’s resignation was “not about politics or policy,” nor an “attempt to mute any group’s voice on the commission.”

It appears it could be bullying, harassment, and intimidation aimed at a commissioner, and the commission as a whole, by certain legislators through the governor’s office.

Well, Postman said what it wasn't - to include policy which is what the Commission is tasked to do. So, then, exactly what was it??

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#926111 - 03/28/15 10:39 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

“The governor and his staff had decided it was time to make a change in order to improve collaboration on the commission” according to the article.

#926136 - 03/29/15 06:29 AM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Lucky Louie]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Quote:

“The governor and his staff had decided it was time to make a change in order to improve collaboration on the commission” according to the article.

“The governor and his staff had decided it was time to make a change in order to END collaboration on the commission” according to the article. Their that is more like what the Gov's staff really meant.

#926224 - 03/29/15 11:18 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Chasin' Baitman Offline
Returning Adult

Is this retaliation for the sportfishing priority bills that were recently heard in the house and senate?

#926327 - 03/31/15 07:09 AM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

It is all guess work as the Gov's staff seldom explains things in a forthright manner. Best guess is pressure from the Coastal Caucus and trade bait for support in budget negotiations.

#926450 - 04/02/15 01:51 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Lucky Louie]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Trying to get clarification through the governor’s office, my impression of the improvement of collaboration by the commission would be with the legislature, governor’s office, and various agencies.

The problem with that would be politics trumping science again.

#926564 - 04/05/15 07:30 PM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Chasin' Baitman Offline
Returning Adult

Does anyone know what's going on with this? I haven't heard anything...which I kind of think might be good. Though it seems there's an extra commissioner (unless there's no rule on the number of commissioners).

#926594 - 04/06/15 06:52 AM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Chasin' Baitman -

The WDFW commission is limited to 9 members, 3 must reside on the east side of the State and 3 on the west side. The other 3 are "at large" members. Only one commissioner per county is allowed.

In addition to the geographic diversity the Governor typically attempts to appoint members of a diversity of interest as well. The current commission maybe one of the most diverse and balanced commissions in decades.

Curt

#926608 - 04/06/15 11:48 AM Re: WDFW Commission Reshuffle [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Chasin' Baitman Offline
Returning Adult

hah - OK, for some reason I was STILL thinking there was an extra commissioner hangin' around, but that's obviously not the case (and never was).

I see that the 2 new commissioners have been added, and Wecker is still listed. So, I suppose that no (new) news is good news here.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/commission/members.html

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |