Rate This Topic
#923942 - 03/01/15 07:29 PM Lake Quinault-Interesting Read
JPbarbless Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Seattle
From The Daily World

Posted February 17, 2015 - 8:32am
Lake was never given to the tribe

In response to the Quinault Tribe owning Lake Quinault, there needs to be more research done by government entities. I have been researching Native American history for almost 30 years and have been nationally recognized for my research. Thanks to the Internet anyone can access documents pertaining to Lake Quinault and the reservation boundaries. Washington State University early map collections will show you the original agreed-upon allotments and survey from 1911.

Apparently this map was not presented to the court in the 1945 court case along with the agreed-upon survey of the reservation from 1902. The Quinault Reservation was created for the seven fish eating tribes on the Pacific coast, not just the Quinaults. The Executive Order never included water, only land for agriculture. There are court cases that even cite the Quinault Reservation is at the west end of the lake. U.S. attorneys prepared and presented that information in the United States v. Washington case (the Bolt decision). The Bolt decision stated that any fish that escape from the nets into Quinault Lake can be harvested by non-tribal members.

Anyone with a home computer can access these and thousands of other documents for their own research by searching for: Surveys, Executive Orders, Presidential Proclamations, Indian Agent reports to Congress, and the Treaties, Forest Reserve, Forest Service, National Park Service, and the Solicitor General’s Office in Portland.

The Quinault Tribe always states they “own” the lake. No tribe owns the Federal Trust Land they use and occupy, it belongs to the people. The Doctrine of Discovery and Conquest from the 1400’s European Law, and the Discovery Doctrine from which President Jefferson sent Lewis and Clark to claim the Northwest from England in 1804 does not give the indigenous people any ownership rights, only use and occupancy. To the conqueror go the spoils and the conqueror is the ruling government. Prior to Statehood England and the United States owned the Pacific Northwest until their Treaty of 1846. The U.S. Government owned all of the Northwest and still does. The tribes are known as dependent domestic nations of the United States. The government owns the Federal Trust Land that the tribes reside on not the tribe.

The Quinaults cannot own the lake. There is a document that states the Quinaults went to Congress in 1938 asking for the lake and they were refused. Neither the House nor the Senate would bring this issue to the floor due to so much opposition.

Chief Justice Rehnquist stated in a Montana case, “if it wasn’t given in the Treaty then it wasn’t given.” His comment stated that if the Treaty had been brought before the Supreme Court, the court would have read the letter of the treaty.

The U.S. government, the State of Washington and Grays Harbor County seem to have forgotten the rights of their citizens by not researching the Quinault Lake historical documents more thoroughly. There is no document from Congress giving the lake to the Quinaults. The Solicitor General does not have the power or right to give land or a lake in the State of Washington to a tribe. The opinion is only an opinion not law.

I invite everyone to search the Internet for confirmation on their own and then they will believe the written history instead of oral history.

Guy Boudia

Tumwater
- See more at: http://thedailyworld.com/opinion/letters/lake-was-never-given-tribe#sthash.p2MqLgpL.dpuf

#923943 - 03/01/15 07:45 PM Re: Lake Quinault-Interesting Read [Re: JPbarbless]
JPbarbless Offline
Juvenile at Sea

May not be tribal . I may rethink all the money I have been spending on boat permits and fishing licenses all these years. May be the last ones I buy

#923944 - 03/01/15 07:46 PM Re: Lake Quinault-Interesting Read [Re: JPbarbless]
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
Some of my ancestors lived at Lake Quinault. Guess I have pioneers from Grays Harbor too. Interesting read. My ancestors used to trade for beads with the natives. Would like to do some more research.

#923946 - 03/01/15 08:08 PM Re: Lake Quinault-Interesting Read [Re: JPbarbless]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Compelling argument against tribal ownership of the lake.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#923949 - 03/01/15 08:32 PM Re: Lake Quinault-Interesting Read [Re: eyeFISH]
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
Or, the Indians win the suit and kick the white eyes off again.

I'm pulling for the white eyes. I had a house on the North Shore many years ago and the Park or the Forest Service made me tear it down or they would and send me the bill. I tore it down.

Loser,

fp

Edited by fp (03/01/15 08:33 PM)

#923950 - 03/01/15 08:33 PM Re: Lake Quinault-Interesting Read [Re: JPbarbless]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Interesting. Good luck,

SZ

#923964 - 03/02/15 06:15 AM Re: Lake Quinault-Interesting Read [Re: JPbarbless]
Met'lheadMatt Offline
Spawner

I think it is time for a fish in to get the ball rolling, if in fact it is not owned by the Quin's. The State and Fed's will not do a thing, and leave it Status Quo unless thier hand is forced. Might be time for amrather large fish in, with all members have a copy of the 38 document that turns ownership away and the later Boldt decision that does not grant ownership.

#924077 - 03/03/15 01:24 PM Re: Lake Quinault-Interesting Read [Re: JPbarbless]
gooybob Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
There are so many things that could be said here. I guess this is just one more scam they are pulling off. I just don't get how they can use our roads, schools and other tax payer funded public resources yet cut us off by the b@lls in just about every way. Sometimes I think people think I'm racist towards the Natives but it wouldn't matter what color or ethnic origin they are. What matters is they are a group of people fleecing us and laughing behind our backs. I still say to this day they are the biggest offender when it comes to the detriment of our fisheries and they are sticking it to the man unlike any other group. They spend more time trying to screw us than they do cleaning up their own SELF MADE messes which of course they blame us for.

Edited by gooybob (03/03/15 03:05 PM)

#924088 - 03/03/15 02:07 PM Re: Lake Quinault-Interesting Read [Re: JPbarbless]
gregsalmon Offline
Spawner

Loc: alaska and washington
Has anybody on here ever heard of the tribe successfully prosecuting any non-tribal member for a violation of ANY kind?

#924101 - 03/03/15 03:24 PM Re: Lake Quinault-Interesting Read [Re: JPbarbless]
gooybob Offline
Spawner

I don't know about successful prosecution but they have definitely arrested and pushed their so called authority against non-tribal members. Just a few years ago two LEGAL elk hunters along with their toddler were held at gun point by tribal police off of tribal land. If I remember right the idiots claimed they were on tribal land but were not.There are other cases of their abuse of power as well. All I'm saying is you can't have it both ways. If you're a country or nation of your own and can keep people from other nations (the United States in this case) from your lands and resources why should we allow them rights on in our country. Don't they go to schools funded by our government and drive on roads funded by our government? They don't pay federal taxes or even their share of state taxes. They do however get paid with our taxes. It's the biggest sham out there. I would never submit to their so called "authority". I've fished the upper Quinault River since the late 50's and they have destroyed the fishing up there ever since the Boldt Decision. I'm surprised they aren't gillnetting the lake for cutthroat and dollies. It will be interesting to see how they rip the state off when they start growing and selling weed. I can just see it now "OG Quinault Kush." Or since they supposedly don't clip the hatchery fish they could sell "Fake Nate Purple." I wonder what the penalty will be from the tribal police for tribe members caught with Quinault Kush and a 40 ouncer!

Edited by gooybob (03/03/15 03:26 PM)

#924114 - 03/03/15 04:16 PM Re: Lake Quinault-Interesting Read [Re: gooybob]
bob r Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: gooybob
" Sometimes I think people think I'm racist towards the Natives"

And you are right , they do think you are a racist, and they are right, you ARE a racist. Bob R

#924126 - 03/03/15 05:42 PM Re: Lake Quinault-Interesting Read [Re: JPbarbless]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
First, there are no such things as "Natives." We are all immigrants. I take offense at the use of the word "Native" because it infers that all others are non-Native and of lesser value. So, in that context those that insist on being called "Native" could be described as racist.

As to the two elk hunters, they had legally harvested a bull elk within sight of traffic on Hwy 101 in the Brinnon area as I recall. Someone called a non-tribal police agency but before they could respond two S'Klallam LE officers decided to respond and took the two elk hunters into custody at gun point. That included the young child. They were held handcuffed for several hours until it was determined that they had permission to hunt the land and were otherwise legal in taking the bull. Initially the Tribal Chief of Police defended his officers but later put some fuzzy edges on their position. The senior Tribal LE on site was fired and the junior officer retained his job. No one was charged criminally (kidnapping, child abuse, assault with a deadly weapon - pick and choose) which was, in my opinion, a failure of the County Prosecutor because the Tribal officers HAD NO JURISDICTION.

Now, if you really want to be concerned look into how Patty Murray submitted and had an amendment to Federal Anti-Domestic Violation laws such that a non-tribal member accused of domestic violation may, under certain circumstances, be arrested by tribal LE and prosecuted in tribal court. I'm just waiting for that first case to get to a Federal courtroom with the defendants claiming it is unconstitutional.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#924176 - 03/04/15 11:50 AM Re: Lake Quinault-Interesting Read [Re: bob r]
gooybob Offline
Spawner

Bob, You are an angry fella. You need to take a chill pill. If your not careful you might get checked by fish and game for being over your limit of bad vibes. I think you said you've been checked over 30 times. That just might be from bad karma buddy. You obviously don't understand what racism is but that's understandable considering. If your not careful you may tip your little canoe type boat over from the anger shakes!

#924183 - 03/04/15 12:39 PM Re: Lake Quinault-Interesting Read [Re: gregsalmon]
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
Anybody ever hear of the Indians losing a case?

fp

Originally Posted By: gregsalmon
Has anybody on here ever heard of the tribe successfully prosecuting any non-tribal member for a violation of ANY kind?

#924195 - 03/04/15 02:36 PM Re: Lake Quinault-Interesting Read [Re: fp]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: fp
Anybody ever hear of the Indians losing a case?

fp

Yes, even at the Supreme Court level. But not often.

#924197 - 03/04/15 02:41 PM Re: Lake Quinault-Interesting Read [Re: JPbarbless]
Slab Quest Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Mukilteo or Westport
The PC Police will get you guys

#924201 - 03/04/15 03:05 PM Re: Lake Quinault-Interesting Read [Re: JPbarbless]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Loc: Snohomish
So are they not allowing us to float down to the lake anymore?

"Dude...where's your boat!?" Team runaway drift boat prostaff.

Big Stick 2012: "EVERY thought of my being, is in regards to being a Hi-Tech Predator and I relish the role."

#924314 - 03/05/15 09:30 PM Re: Lake Quinault-Interesting Read [Re: JPbarbless]
gregsalmon Offline
Spawner

Loc: alaska and washington
Generally, if you call tribal enforcement they will say the lake is closed to boating. HOWEVER drift boats are regularly rowed from the mouth of the Quinault over to the Rainforest resort.

#926187 - 03/29/15 07:10 PM Re: Lake Quinault-Interesting Read [Re: JPbarbless]
Swing r Die Offline
Smolt

JP Barbless,

Do you know about the recent suit filed by a few landowners on the North Shore claiming the QIN res does not include the lake ?

The court threw out the suit...

#926384 - 04/01/15 09:31 AM Re: Lake Quinault-Interesting Read [Re: JPbarbless]
JPbarbless Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Not sure that it has been thrown out, It seems that there should be a decision this month as to if they want to move forward. I'm still looking for more information. I'll keep you posted as to what happens. JP

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 947 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645290 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |