THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#92617 - 07/10/00 09:32 PM Nisqaully kings?
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tenino, wa U.S.A.
what's the latest? I went down below the bridge on friday evening and didn't see anything, tossed a few rigs to the snags. that was about it. they should be soon!!

Gotta get me a tide book so I can hit the tide right. Friday night it was out. probably why I didn't see anything. Might give it a try tonight before dark.

oh ya! has anyone seen any numbers for returning fish? I heard
that it's sapose to be bigger than last years run. don't know how much trueth it is. but if it is look out!!!!

dcrzfitter

#92618 - 07/11/00 12:11 AM Re: Nisqaully kings?
Jeffhead Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia, Washington
Follow this link, it will get ya to the Seattle tides with the correction tables: http://co-ops.nos.noaa.gov/tab2wc1b.html.
I work at Ft. Lewis and know John who runs the hatchery. He said based on last years jack returns that this years run will be bigger!!! Last years was around 14,000 fish. See ya at the bridge or the handicap hole.
Tight lines, Jeff

#92619 - 07/11/00 12:48 AM Re: Nisqaully kings?
LoomisMan Offline
Parr

Loc: Western Washington
How do you get down to fish the mouth of the nisqually? I have fished up by the bridge but not down by the mouth.I know you you can drive down by the wildlife refuge is that the way in?

#92620 - 07/11/00 02:23 AM Re: Nisqaully kings?
schitzo with a berkley Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: edgewood, wa........
hey dcrfitter, i went to the nisqually on sat, dint see nuthin or feel anything, so i went up river..have ya been up past the bridge, there is some good lookin drifts up there. and on sunday i went jus up above the bridge and casted for a lil bit, jus playin around,nothin there either..so i got into my pick up and decided to drive along the shore, its kinda serene up past the bridge..so anyways, im jus barely in the water, when my truck sinks in the rock and sand..so i put it in 4 low..and try like mad to get out all the while im goin in farther, water is up to my door at this time..so this guy comes over and asks me if i need pulled out..no water got in my truck by the way..so im jus embarassed by this time..imlike, what the heck was i thinkin..i wont do that again ( till next time the situation arises) well..he was nice about the whole, sayin he pulled 4 rigs out of the snow last week , so i dint feel as bad..would of been better to have been pulled out by another nissan tho..well..maybe see ya on the river this weekend..dark green nissan, tinted windows..tight lines man

#92621 - 07/11/00 10:40 AM Re: Nisqaully kings?
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
To acess the mouth of the Nisqually ,you'll need to go to the end of Meridian rd to the Luhr beach boat ramp,then it's across the flats to the mouth,you can also hike into the refuge but that will only get you so close,carefull in a boat it's very shallow but fish can be had if you know the right stuff....tight lines

------------------
Row Quietly and fish a Cataraft }<<(('>----<'))>>{
Release all Wild Fish

#92622 - 07/11/00 11:25 PM Re: Nisqaully kings?
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

If you walk to the mouth or go in a boat for that mater DON"T GET OUT ON THE MUD!!! it might look harmless but you will be crab food.

Schitzo, Hey you are one lucky dude. first you take yer new truck out bend yer bumper now you almost go swiming. LOL Yer lucky a dude was around to pull you out!! I know the places you were talking about. I drive along those gravel bars alot just looking over the water and sometime there are more than fish swiming in the water up there Especially on hot days. maybe se ya around there you know where to look for me and what I drive.

dcrzfitter

#92623 - 07/12/00 12:36 PM Re: Nisqaully kings?
LoomisMan Offline
Parr

Has anyone seen anything happening around the bridge yet? I'm going to be down in tacoma this week thought I might bring my rod along if anything is showing up higher yet.

#92624 - 07/12/00 07:17 PM Re: Nisqaully kings?
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Going dow nto the bridge erea again tonight. going to find some shade and relax and maybe wet a line.

Nothing yet. Talked to a guy in a boat the other night. He said he hadn't seen anythign and it was still pretty slow out in the salt yet but should be getting better.

Just a reminder. it is still early for these fish. there are always a few that stray in but the big run won't start for another month. so if you going fishing don't go with big expectations.

dcrzfitter

#92625 - 07/12/00 09:48 PM Re: Nisqaully kings?
LoomisMan Offline
Parr

dcrzfitter-I fish the nisqually every year and I know what you mean.But you might be off a little bit on the month before they show.Usually by the last week in july they are in pretty thick.One thing about it the crowds have died down in the last few years we need to keep this one quit.20 years ago the fishing here was unbelievable.Over harvest by poachers and indians whiped it out for a short time.See ya out there.

#92626 - 07/13/00 12:02 AM Re: Nisqaully kings?
Juvenille at Sea

hi loomis, i was wondering, do you fish from a boat at the mouth or from the shore, and if from the shore (cuz im a bankie) what worked well for you..is the nisqually allways this clear this time of year,cuz last year it was a lil murky lookin all the time..but anyways any info will be appreciated..i got kings dancin in my head..does jig and bobber do well for kings like on stealhead and if so, colors, size of jigs which work the best..and do eggs work well early of for the bigger ones? well any info would be cool..tight lines..will be down there this sat..let ya know how i do..

#92627 - 07/13/00 01:36 AM Re: Nisqaully kings?
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Loomis man don't fret I'm not a big mouth. E-mail me we can share off this bord. and yes I was a little off o nthat run timing.

dcrzfitter@aol.com

dcrzfitter

#92628 - 07/13/00 03:14 PM Re: Nisqaully kings?
Bob D Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Orchard Wa Kitsap
I have been doing good at Tacoma! There are fish here, Its not to early...Fish seem to be bigger this year, A few in the 20's. Had 2 on Sat morning before 5:46 A.M. One was easy 23 to 25, Go early and fish the bait.

Bob D.

#92629 - 07/13/00 04:52 PM Re: Nisqaully kings?
b-bouncer Offline
Parr

Are you fishing in the sound out of a boat?

#92630 - 07/13/00 07:14 PM Re: Nisqaully kings?
Juvenille at Sea

hey bob, i noticed you said you hooked your fish like at 5 sumthin in the morning..were you fishin river or sound? and man, thats to early for my 24 year old bum.. and another question, do you think scents are that important when fishin for kings? and certain colors also? thanks..

#92631 - 07/13/00 10:18 PM Re: Nisqaully kings?
elmtree Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: spanaway,wash, 98387us
Well good folks, i will be down near the mouth of the Nisqually on Sunday am, bright and early and fish the tides.

Got some new stuff from andy matthew's that iam going to try out. Looks rear sharp and hopefully the fish thinks so also.

I may try the reserve first before driving out further, depends on when the first high tide comes in.

Osprey, which exit do i take from Spanaway to get to the mouth by luhr boat launch? Mounts Road or the dump exit? Which way from there?
Last time i went north from the dump exit, Heurters Gun store was still along side the freeway.

elmtree (woody)

#92632 - 07/14/00 11:35 AM Re: Nisqaully kings?
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
Woody take the 1st exit past Mounts rd, follow it to top of the hill at the exxon station take right follow that almost to end you will to take a right and then the first left ,be carefull here with the lauch it's almost impossible if the tide is too low( follow the signs) I will be out off and on all weekend...tight lines...PS the mouth of the Nisqually is VERY shallow stay on you're toes

------------------
Row Quietly and fish a Cataraft }<<(('>----<'))>>{
Release all Wild Fish

[This message has been edited by Osprey (edited 07-14-2000).]

#92633 - 07/14/00 11:44 AM Re: Nisqaully kings?
b-bouncer Offline
Parr

Isnt that Mcallister creek right there by luhr beach?I didnt think you could get across to the nisqually from there. b

#92634 - 07/14/00 07:54 PM Re: Nisqaully kings?
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

yes you can get to the Nisqually from the Macalister launch. but like was said it ca nbe very shallow so becarful if the tide is low or going out.

I havn't fished out in the salt but a few times. I am told it ca nbe ggod if you know wha tis going on.

dcrzfitter

#92635 - 07/14/00 09:14 PM Re: Nisqaully kings?
elmtree Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: spanaway,wash, 98387us
Thanks Osprey and others, i will be a foot, so low tides will mean pussing footing thru the flats for solid ground. Is it very muddy, i suspect if is being a river delta.
Well good luck all and tight lines.

elmtree (woody)

i will be the big bear looking creature with waders and a fishing pole if your down here. full beard and 280 lbs of fishing fool.
No i am not related to big foot, only size #9's.

[This message has been edited by elmtree (edited 07-14-2000).]

#92636 - 07/14/00 09:25 PM Re: Nisqaully kings?
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

elmtree,
Are you talking about walking out on the mud to fish the mouth of the Nisqually? If so I would think again. people have died out on those flats. they look harmless but people get stuck and the tide does the rest.

dcrzfitter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 274 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |